PDA

View Full Version : VARARAM installed

kjac081
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I got my unit today, and installed it in about 30 minutes.
The instructions were fairly straight forward.
Build quality looks good.
After installing, I had to leave for work, and was in traffic for most of the time, so I did not get a lot of playing around time with it yet. I didnt even have time to unplug the battery for a computer re-learn.
My initial impression is that you can defenitly hear the intake now, it is alot throatier. The throttle response does seem better. Since I do not have a custom tune yet, it is really hard to guage since there is so much lag for downshifts, etc. Id did have a chance on the freeway to play with it in the manual mode. I was going about 70 and had it holding 3rd gear, from there the throttle resonse is very good, and the car seems to like the intake.
I do think that it will take a couple days of driving for my ECM to adjust, and I hope to see better performace then.

One note from the install: the instructions say to put the hose coupler on the throttle body with the PCV nipple at the 11 o'clock position. I did this, and routed the new PCV hose to it, and cut it to size accordingly. Well, when I tried to put my engine cover on, it was squashing down on the PCV hose, there just isnt room for it the way I routed it. When I get some time, I am going to try to rotate the hose couple to position the PCV nipple at the 8-9 o'clock position, and route the hose 'under' the throttle body on the passenger side. Hope that makes sense. see installed pic.
Also, the the plug for the MAF would not reach the new location, but you can see in the pic below, by removing the harness from the clip on the drivers side grounding post, I had just enough slack to plug it in.
view of MAF harness clip

view from passenger side, top of radiator

UPDATE-
after driving for a while, it defenitly feels more spirited. the sound of teh entire car changed, even the sound of the stock exhaust. I like it
I just got back from a 30 minute drive, and opened the hood up. The Vararam unit was COOL to the touch. the back half was a little warm at best, but the front half that is in front of the radiator was definitly cool, ambient temp!
Here are the uninstalled pics everyone wanted

GeorgeInNePa
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I got my unit today, and installed it in about 30 minutes.
The instructions were fairly straight forward.
Build quality looks good.
After installing, I had to leave for work, and was in traffic for most of the time, so I did not get a lot of playing around time with it yet. I didnt even have time to unplug the battery for a computer re-learn.
My initial impression is that you can defenitly hear the intake now, it is alot throatier. The throttle response does seem better. Since I do not have a custom tune yet, it is really hard to guage since there is so much lag for downshifts, etc. Id did have a chance on the freeway to play with it in the manual mode. I was going about 70 and had it holding 3rd gear, from there the throttle resonse is very good, and the car seems to like the intake.
I do think that it will take a couple days of driving for my ECM to adjust, and I hope to see better performace then.

One note from the install: the instructions say to put the hose coupler on the throttle body with the PCV nipple at the 11 o'clock position. I did this, and routed the new PCV hose to it, and cut it to size accordingly. Well, when I tried to put my engine cover on, it was squashing down on the PCV hose, there just isnt room for it the way I routed it. When I get some time, I am going to try to rotate the hose couple to position the PCV nipple at the 8-9 o'clock position, and route the hose 'under' the throttle body on the passenger side. Hope that makes sense. see installed pic.
Also, the the plug for the MAF would not reach the new location, but you can see in the pic below, by removing the harness from the clip on the drivers side grounding post, I had just enough slack to plug it in.
view of MAF harness clip

view from passenger side, top of radiator

According to the people who have put the NEP OTR CAI on their cars, you need to pull on the plug a bit. It seems there is extra wire inside the loom.

r33pwrd
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
thanks... I guess in my mind I pictured the pickup being lower down... but looks cool.

GeorgeInNePa
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
thanks... I guess in my mind I pictured the pickup being lower down... but looks cool.

There was some talk in one of the threads that they tested it with a longer "scoop". It didn't add to the airflow.

r33pwrd
03-20-2009, 02:01 PM
There was some talk in one of the threads that they tested it with a longer "scoop". It didn't add to the airflow.

But isnt all the air comining into the intake running across the radiator first pulling heat from the radiator and adding it into the intake stream?

GeorgeInNePa
03-20-2009, 02:05 PM
But isnt all the air comining into the intake running across the radiator first pulling heat from the radiator and adding it into the intake stream?maybe at low speed, but when you start moving, it won't be against the rad for long enough to matter.

Just like if this CAI heats up from the radiator, once the air starts to move through it, the air doesn't remain in contact with the plastic long enough to heat up.

GRRRR8
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
But isnt all the air comining into the intake running across the radiator first pulling heat from the radiator and adding it into the intake stream?

? its in front of the condensor, so as you go down the road the way the box from the factory routes the air, there would never be hot air except at idle, but just think about all the others and how they are designed.

r33pwrd
03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
cool.... I will give it a shot when I get one "next week" ;)

fiveoh
03-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Im jealous keep us updated once u get to play with it some more. Is it recomended that you unplug the battery normally after you install these?

MANOFSTEEL69
03-21-2009, 04:22 AM
The computer will do somewhat of a "relearn" on it's own. Nothing like what a custom tune would do, but it will make adjustments with the new information it's recieving. Make sure the positive terminal is diconnected for at least 5 minutes.

jbradG8GT
03-21-2009, 06:04 AM
view of MAF harness clip

Just an FYI, I didn't remove the harness from the clip to reroute the cable. All I did was turn the clip 180 degrees and the cable reached the MAF. Either way will work.

jbradsh1
03-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Just an FYI, I didn't remove the harness from the clip to reroute the cable. All I did was turn the clip 180 degrees and the cable reached the MAF. Either way will work.

Are you going back soon to to CofW? I'd love to see a dyno of before and after.

piecesparts
03-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Where did you get yours? I am looking for a decent CAI and am considering all options.

locrzn#92
03-22-2009, 04:13 AM
I'm a polished aluminum guy so I took a shot with the NEP OTR. I really like it, I don't know what the final results will be, both are trying to do the same thing, bring in as much are as possible. Either will be a good and both about the same price.

stryker g8gt
03-22-2009, 05:40 AM
I see they sent a smaller decal, instead of the bigger one. Looks better.

piecesparts
03-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm a polished aluminum guy so I took a shot with the NEP OTR. I really like it, I don't know what the final results will be, both are trying to do the same thing, bring in as much are as possible. Either will be a good and both about the same price.

It appears that the New Era kit mounts right above the radiator and pulls air from under the hood at the nose of the car. What kind of clearance is there? Does ithe polished untit stay clean or is the hood scuffing the finish. ( A good hint as to how much clearance)

locrzn#92
03-22-2009, 06:31 AM
There is about 1" of hood clearance. The unit leans back and the hood is kinda bubbled or raised behind the seal. Polished is always harder to keep waters spots off after washing, when you raise the hood after washing some drips will fall down on the intake after you open the hood. No water gets past the seal and its very dry past the seal and wet in front of the seal. I always wipe under the hood anyway so its really easy for me to keep it clean. It actually pulls air thru the grill, I suppose it may pull some air from under the hood, but, mainly thru the grill. You can buy them about $20 bucks cheaper raw and polish it your self. It took about 2 hours, I started out with 220 grit, 320, 400,
600 wet, 1000 wet, 1500 wets. They used a polishing wheel and hand polished in the tight spots. I love the look. I had already built my own polished MAF cover, I just don't like the look of the unfinished MAF, some don't mind it at all.

piecesparts
03-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I have been polishing for years, nnow. I know what you mean about water spots. I found a coating that you can put on that will help the water spots to not stick so hard to the metal. The stuff that I use is from "Wizards" products. It is called "Power Seal" ( http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=15&cat=24&page=2 )and it will let the water run off for the most part, but the spots that do set and they are easy to remove. I use it on all of my poilished rims and any parts under the hood of my show truck. There are other brands out there, but this stuff is easy to use and priced fairly. I purchase it, my detail spray, and paint sealant from their company and my prices are a lot lower than their advertised prices. I am not a dealer, but the stuff by the case beats the price over the counter. We could meet some day and I can get you some, since I am about to order this year's supply of products. I live SW of KC about 90 miles. You are down there around a friend of mine's place. He and his son own the Custom Bike shop in that area.

locrzn#92
03-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks, I'll let you know. I'm using mothers now and its pretty good. You'll like the otr and its performance

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-22-2009, 11:20 AM
The computer will do somewhat of a "relearn" on it's own. Nothing like what a custom tune would do, but it will make adjustments with the new information it's recieving. Make sure the positive terminal is diconnected for at least 5 minutes.
You should always disconnect the negative cable, if you disconnect the positive cable sparks will fly.

locrzn#92
03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
yes you should.

kjac081
03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
updated first post with more pics

MojaveG8
03-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Awesome ! Wife called and said a box from Vararam is waiting for me at home.

r33pwrd
03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
updated first post with more pics

cool! looks like a nice piece to me.

BigRob
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
You should always disconnect the negative cable, if you disconnect the positive cable sparks will fly.

correct, i was trippin when i read that! no need to disconnect the positive if the negative is off.

DarkPhoenix
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
It looks awesome!

Where did you find it? I havnt seen it on our sponsor's sites yet.

Chewy
03-25-2009, 06:46 AM
What are ya'll doing with the HSRK? I received my Vararam but don't want to install it before I install my HSRK into it.

I don't have a grommet so if it takes one let me know and I will order some.

Chris