PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Advice

p71
03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
So...

I need some advice as to which bushings to change on my ride. I am planning on doing the BMR sways right out the gate. I will also be doing trailing arms in the near future.

Other than that I am probably leaving shocks and struts and springs stock...

so... what bushings do I "need"

GRRRR8
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Subframe and diff bushings make a huge difference.

dms
03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
The 3 most critical bushings in the G8 are:

1. Front radius rod bushing with caster increase shims
2. Rear differential bushings
3. Rear cradle enhancement bushings

Here is the Pedders system and pricing:

G8 Street I by Pedders
1/21/09 MERLIN PARTS STORE P/N GM G8 STREET I
The G8 GT arrives in the USA as an excellent automobile. The ALL NEW class leading ZETA chassis design is nothing short of terrific. The vehicle delivers at a bargain price and is tuned for North American standards of comfort and control. Pedders is an Australian company with a passion for all things motor sports. We don't ride in our cars -- we drive them the way we feel they should be driven. The Street I System for the G8 sharpens the claws on this Pontiac. It addresses what we consider to be the fundamental weaknesses of the vehicle: No caster adjustment, soft sub-frame bushes at all four IRS mounting points, overly soft and voided differential mount bushes and a hydraulically damped front radius rod arm bush. With these four components installed your G8 will track better over all surfaces and in general feel tigher and more controlled with absolutely no change in ride comfort. It is low hanging fruit that you should grab the minute you take delivery of you 6 or 8 cylinder G8.

P/N PEDDERS PART DESCRIPTION PRICE
EP1169 Zeta Rear Extreme Sub-Frame Connector Kit $238.99
EP1167 Zeta Rear Differential Bush Kit $108.36
EP6560 Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush includes 5421 caster washer $198.59

Pedders Street 1 Parts Total $545.94
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $205.95
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $339.99

The front radius rod bushing is fluid filled and allows too much movement. GM racing totally aggresses. These bushes were the primary reason GM Racing contacted Pedders for the GS Camaro in the Koni Series they designed.

The rear Differential bushings allow a very serious amount of movement of the rear differential. This reduces torq to the rear wheels, delays torq to the rear wheels, and contributes to wheel hop

the extreme subframe kit adds a monsterous amount of support to the rear cradle assembly. Due to the massive voids in the subframe bushings, you shoot a corner and the rear sub frame bushings will allow the rear cradle and suspension to move approx 15mm separately from the body. Adding our bushings to the subframe will eliminate this movement.

If you have any questions, just ask

mike
dms

tvuser
03-26-2009, 04:44 AM
How much noisier is the ride w/the above kit?

Mike P
03-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Great thread. Hey, in addition to the G8 STREET I Package should I get the BMR trailing arms (for wheel hop)?

dms
03-26-2009, 08:46 AM

I think 98-99% of the G8ers will not even notice

mike
dms

tvuser
03-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Cool beans.

Mike P
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM

mike
dms

Yep, I agree. Very cool beans.....

jbradsh1
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Pedders Street 1 Parts Total $545.94
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $205.95
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $339.99

mike
dms

So Mike, the Pedders Street 1 Kit is $339.99, total, except tax & install? Sounds pretty good to me. What does the average shop (Precision Motorsports is close) usually charge for this install? And Mike's question about the trailing arms inhibiting wheel hop?

Mike P
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
+1 - I'm wondering too what a typical shop would charge for this install.

HaddadMotorsports
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM

I have a highly trained butox :) and I can't tell the difference comfort wise.

So Mike, the Pedders Street 1 Kit is $339.99, total, except tax & install? Sounds pretty good to me. What does the average shop (Precision Motorsports is close) usually charge for this install? And Mike's question about the trailing arms inhibiting wheel hop?

We charge 4 hours and that includes a 4 wheel alignment.

The trailing arms will not help with wheel hop. They do help locate the tire, due to there extra strength and hard bushings. Please note I ran the car at 600rwhp with full slicks and then noticed the difference in the arms. :)

Thanks
Mike Haddad

99-LS1-SS
03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Mike,
Do the differential bushings make a noticeable difference with wheel hop?

HaddadMotorsports
03-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Mike,
Do the differential bushings make a noticeable difference with wheel hop?

Not huge but there is definitely a difference.
The subframe bushing are one of the most important IMO.

If you can wait don't mind a touch more noise out of the rear end.(can't hear it over a car with a catback exhaust.) We have a one off solid bushing in my car that we developed in house and it has been phenomenal, pedders has been talking about making one for a while now, but as far as i know its still kinda just talk. Being that I support pedders 110% I don't want to compete with them, but if they don't do something soon i will release mine.

Please note I would call this an extreme suspension component reserved for true enthusiasts and/or cars making well over 400rwhp.

Thanks
Mike Haddad

GeorgeInNePa
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM

If you can wait don't mind a touch more noise out of the rear end.(can't hear it over a car with a catback exhaust.) We have a one off solid bushing in my car that we developed in house and it has been phenomenal, pedders has been talking about making one for a while now, but as far as i know its still kinda just talk. Being that I support pedders 110% I don't want to compete with them, but if they don't do something soon i will release mine.

Please note I would call this an extreme suspension component reserved for true enthusiasts and/or cars making well over 400rwhp.

Thanks
Mike Haddad

What are your bushings made of?

Will they, in your opinion, be markedly better than the DMS "solution" of filling the holes in the diff bushings with metal rod? (that's one of tonights projects)

jbradsh1
03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I have a highly trained butox :) and I can't tell the difference comfort wise.

We charge 4 hours and that includes a 4 wheel alignment.

The trailing arms will not help with wheel hop. They do help locate the tire, due to there extra strength and hard bushings. Please note I ran the car at 600rwhp with full slicks and then noticed the difference in the arms. :)

Thanks
Mike Haddad

Good information, thanks.

jbradsh1
03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
+1 - I'm wondering too what a typical shop would charge for this install.

Just under $800 including a 4 wheel alignment, that's for the Pedders Street 1, is what I'm paying. Getting it done in about 5 weeks or so. Can't wait!

HaddadMotorsports
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
What are your bushings made of?

Will they, in your opinion, be markedly better than the DMS "solution" of filling the holes in the diff bushings with metal rod? (that's one of tonights projects)

I used a very hard compound for mine, I doubt DMS solution is stiffer but it might be a nice in between. His is more work, that's for sure. If time isn't an issue i would say try it the DMS way its definitely not going to hurt.

Put simply I knew I was going to be rippin on my car in every way shape and form, and I just couldn't afford a variable pinion angle. So what I made is virtually a solid mount is not for everybody.

Just under $800 including a 4 wheel alignment, that's for the Pedders Street 1, is what I'm paying. Getting it done in about 5 weeks or so. Can't wait!

99-LS1-SS
03-27-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks
Mike Haddad
Are the one off bushings for the rear differential? I already have done the front and rear cross member inserts and the BMR trailing arms.

GeorgeInNePa
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I used a very hard compound for mine, I doubt DMS solution is stiffer but it might be a nice in between. His is more work, that's for sure. If time isn't an issue i would say try it the DMS way its definitely not going to hurt.

Put simply I knew I was going to be rippin on my car in every way shape and form, and I just couldn't afford a variable pinion angle. So what I made is virtually a solid mount is not for everybody.

Since I already had the diff bushings installed and needed to pull the diff back out because I didn't realize the were two different bushings (yes I had them mixed together, lol), I took the time to do the DMS mod.

We'll see how that works out.

If you market yours, I might have to try them out.

99-LS1-SS
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I'll be the guinea pig. :D

dms
03-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Labor rates are seriously different all over the USA, so I can give you at least the labor hours.

A Street 1 kit will take 5.5 hours including 4 wheel alignment.

Unless you are running 500 plus hp and drag racing, I think the OE rear trailing arms are plenty strong enough, as long as you do the bushings.

thanks
mike
dms

p71
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok assuming I agree with the street 1 and I am pusing 450 wheel HP what is my next step?

dms
04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Ok assuming I agree with the street 1 and I am pusing 450 wheel HP what is my next step?

450hp, you need more than Street 1. Track II should be in your radar

mike
dms

p71
04-08-2009, 06:23 AM
any advantage of the xa street vs track 2?

Would the xa street be a good starter if I planned on adding sways later?

dms
04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
any advantage of the xa street vs track 2?

Would the xa street be a good starter if I planned on adding sways later?

That would be a perfect start!. Just did one yesterday. Set the fronts to 600mm and the rears to 610mm. customer wanted a little rake. So nearly a 50mm drop.

doing the Street 1 bushings makes a big difference. Adding bars down the road is a real plus

mike
dms

p71
04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Cool...

How easy is it to adjust height... I imagine put the car on a lift and turn the adjuster... but is it indexed or infinite? Infinite might be hard to get all four corners just right.

Also how many hours labor is this roughly?

dms
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Cool...

How easy is it to adjust height... I imagine put the car on a lift and turn the adjuster... but is it indexed or infinite? Infinite might be hard to get all four corners just right.

Also how many hours labor is this roughly?

I JUST DID A XA STREET SYSTEM YESTERDAY!. TO ADJUST HEIGHT, YOU NEED TO RAISE THE VEHICLE. IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT REMOVING WHEELS BUT EASIER TO DO WITH WHEEL OFF. YOU LOOSEN THE LOWER STRUT TO KNUCKLE BRACKET LOCK NUT, THEN USING THE SUPPLIED SPANNER WRENCH, TURN THE STRUT IN/OUT OF THE KNUCKLE BRACKET. NOW TO ADJUST THEM AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN ON THE CAR FOR A WHILE, TO MAKE IT EASIER, MAKE SURE THE THREADS ARE CLEAN ON THE STRUT. THEY ARE VERY FINE THREADS.

TO RAISE THE VEHICLE, REMOVE ONE TIRE, AND ADJUST, THEN RE-TIGHTEN, TOOK ABOUT 10 MINUTES IN A SHOP.

I am not 100% sure you were asking how much it is to adjust?

mike
dms

Chewy
04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I just ordered your touring package with OE height springs from Modern-Muscle. It will hopefully cure my strut noise...

I will probably follow up with sway bars later. I already have the sub frame bushings and BMR control arms.

I hope it makes a marked improvement over stock. 1800 bucks is a lot for something that's not noticeable.

Chris

Kermit
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
That would be a perfect start!. Just did one yesterday. Set the fronts to 600mm and the rears to 610mm. customer wanted a little rake. So nearly a 50mm drop.

doing the Street 1 bushings makes a big difference. Adding bars down the road is a real plus

mike
dms

Mike,
Is it still safe to assume that you will have some detailed instructions with pictures for the Xa's by Friday/Saturday if your not to busy with other projects? I have three days off next week and I can't think of a better time to do my struts. :)

jbradsh1
04-08-2009, 07:04 PM

mike
dms

Mike; OK, here's a question. I drive my G8 GT as a DD and I want the supple but in control feeling that say a BMW has (their sport package 535 is too stiff & the regular 535 is too soft, in my opinion). I definitely don't want to drop the car, in fact, progressive type springs with adjustable shocks (for both rebound & compression) would seem to be a good option to me. What I want is a supple but not harsh and very well controlled suspension. Is this possible with Pedders parts and if so which ones do you recommend? So you know, I am planning on the street 1 package next month to start but that won't get me where I'd like to be.

dms
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Mike; OK, here's a question. I drive my G8 GT as a DD and I want the supple but in control feeling that say a BMW has (their sport package 535 is too stiff & the regular 535 is too soft, in my opinion). I definitely don't want to drop the car, in fact, progressive type springs with adjustable shocks (for both rebound & compression) would seem to be a good option to me. What I want is a supple but not harsh and very well controlled suspension. Is this possible with Pedders parts and if so which ones do you recommend? So you know, I am planning on the street 1 package next month to start but that won't get me where I'd like to be.

I would try it in 2 steps, because this comparison is subjective.

To start, I would do the Street II OE height with our sway bars. I truely think this will get you exactly where you want. If you want a little more control, then you can try upgrading to a TrackII system. The coils in this system are progressive. I do not believe any coil over, including ours has progressive coils. Now our Xas will work with our 6kg/mm front coils with settings in the 7-8 front and 3-5 rear.

mike
dms

p71
04-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I am not 100% sure you were asking how much it is to adjust?

mike
dms

How many hours labor to install the xa street package

dms
04-09-2009, 12:24 AM
How many hours labor to install the xa street package

8.0 hours plus alignment

thanks
mike
dms

jbradsh1
04-09-2009, 02:18 AM
I would try it in 2 steps, because this comparison is subjective.

To start, I would do the Street II OE height with our sway bars. I truely think this will get you exactly where you want. If you want a little more control, then you can try upgrading to a TrackII system. The coils in this system are progressive. I do not believe any coil over, including ours has progressive coils. Now our Xas will work with our 6kg/mm front coils with settings in the 7-8 front and 3-5 rear.

mike
dms

OK and thanks for the info. Questions: which has a more comfortable ride, the street 2 or the track 2? Can you get OEM ride height with either one? I have heard of a touring package, can you tell me something about this?

On the Pedder's web site, it is suggested that the coils springs are changed on the street 2 package, is this the case? If so, can they be progressive OE ride height?

Also, approximate installed cost of street 2 & track 2 please, to help me decide?

jbradsh1
04-09-2009, 03:33 PM
8.0 hours plus alignment

thanks
mike
dms

Tonto to Kemosabi: you no answer forum question, me no buy.

GeorgeInNePa
04-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Street II can be had with drop or stock height.

Labor cost is determined by the individual shops.

jbradsh1
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Street II can be had with drop or stock height.

Labor cost is determined by the individual shops.

Yes, very good, but usually someone knows the hours that are needed for the install. Then you can do some financial planning and figure the approximate cost of the install. On coil springs though I would definitely want progressive rate springs. So I was trying to find out how to do that with the Street II packgage, which evidently doesn't come with them, plus get the sway bars.

But it's hard to get good info on suspension questions sometimes which is understandable due to the subjective nature of the whole thing. I mean a stage 1 cam most everyone will agree is fast, but suspension ... most everyone has a different opinion of what they want out of suspension upgrades, not to mention that springs that are too firm for one guy may not be firm enough for another.

I guess I'll have to drive by a shop or two and ask a lot more questions and maybe drive a Pedders car or two until I'm satisfied that what I'm getting will give me what I really want.

dms
04-09-2009, 06:20 PM
OK and thanks for the info. Questions: which has a more comfortable ride, the street 2 or the track 2? Can you get OEM ride height with either one? I have heard of a touring package, can you tell me something about this?

On the Pedder's web site, it is suggested that the coils springs are changed on the street 2 package, is this the case? If so, can they be progressive OE ride height?

Also, approximate installed cost of street 2 & track 2 please, to help me decide?

Ride quality is traditionally a function of coils and dampers. In terms of ride quality, they will be the same. Possibly a VERY slight more firmness with the trackII since there will be no rubber left. In terms of handling, Track II is Way over the Street II. It also includes our sway bars. Street II does not.

We have multiple Street II and TrackII Systems. You have your choice of OE and drop coils, plus the killer Xa coil overs.

Hours: StreetII is 9 hours plus alignment
TrackII is 12 hours plus alignment

Touring Package is as follows: PEDDERS G8 LOWERED TOURING KIT
1/21/09 MERLIN STORE P/N IS G8 LWRDTOURING

2954 Zeta Front Coil Ride Height approx 642mm with 19" Wheels $89.62
2955 Zeta Rear Coil Ride Height: approx 624mm with 19" Wheels $89.62
4358 GTO Bump Stop Front Requires 2 packages $36.12
5030 Zeta Front Strut Bearing $38.57
5421 Zeta Extreme Control Arm - Caster Increase Washer $77.95
5851 ZETA Strut Mount, Requires 2 packages $42.99
9295 Zeta GSR Rear Strut $149.00
9464L Zeta GSR Front Left Strut $190.00
9464R Zeta GSR Front Right Strut $190.00
PEDDERS PARTS TOTAL $1,588.78
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $588.79
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $999.99

The Touring Package is a great value.
PEDDERS G8 LOWERED TOURING KIT
1/21/09 MERLIN STORE P/N IS G8 LWRDTOURING

5421 Zeta Extreme Control Arm - Caster Increase Washer $77.95
PEDDERS PARTS TOTAL $1,588.78
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $588.79
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $999.99

Basically, the Touring Package offers all coils and dampers, and the supportive bits to complete the install. Then the rear cradle insert bushes, absolute critical bushes, are installed.

Here is a Street II drop kit:
PEDDERS STREET II WITH DROP
1/21/09 MERLIN PARTS STORE P/N G8 STREET 2 DROP
The Street II includes all the bits in the Street I and adds Pedders Gas SportsRyder dampers at all four wheels. The G8 delivers with oil and air basic dampers from Monroe Australia. They are acceptable units on most cars, but the G8 and you deserve better. Pedders GSRs are nitrogen charged twin tube dampers tuned for greater control. Since the G8 arrives sitting rather tall, we conservatively drop the ride height with slightly higher coils rates. You bought the G8 as a performance sedan and not to be a rock hard suitable only for the track toy. Everything we make for the G8 keeps that in mind. It should drive like a European sedan that cost three times as much -- but keep the passenger compartment comfortable for the longest trip. You'll find you GSR damped, SportsRyder spring and bushed G8 to do that and more. Ride quality is more composed than OE and the handling is excellant.
4659 G8 Zeta Extreme Strut - Brace $252.12

PEDDERS STREET II DROP KIT $2,069.90
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $609.91
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $1,459.99

The Street II has everything the touring package has, but then it adds the front radius rod bushes, rear diff bushes front strut tower brace. All Critical components to say the least.

TrackII drop coils:

G8 PEDDERS TRACK II WITH DROP COILS
1/21/09 MERLIN STORE P/N IS G8 TRACK II DROP
The Track II combines all the components of the Street II and adds sway bars, bushes and endlinks. With the virtual pivot point design and the advanced rear suspension you tracked G8 does not need to e over sprung and over damped. In complete OE trim it will out perform many respected marques. With a Track II System we are going hunting for the big boys with big dollar stickers. We add more urethane bushes to create greater control. These are Pedders exclusively designed urethane bushes that use voids, shapes and volume of urethane to increase control while maintaining an OE like ride. There are no squeaks. It is not rough. It is AMG like control. It has long been the Pedders philosophy that sway bars are not used to correct deficiencies in your suspension. Sway Bars are the final tuning step for a properly sprung, damped and bushed vehicle. Pedders sways offer four positions of adjustment front and three positions of adjustment rear. They include Pedders HD endlinks and urethane D bushes. They are perfectly matched to provide an amazing level of control as they compliemnt every elements of your Pedderised G8.
P/N PEDDERS PARTS DESCRIPTION PRICE
429006ADJKIT Zeta eXtreme sway bar adjustable kit $345.21
EP2112 Zeta Steering Rack Bush $26.25
EP6561 Zeta Front Control Arm Bush - Inner Bush $134.98
EP7263 Zeta Rear Control arm - Upper inner rear $96.20
EP7264 Zeta rear lower control arm inner $96.20
EP7265 Zeta Rear Trailing arm Inner $96.20
EP7266 Zeta Rear Lower Control Arm & Rear Trailing Arm Outer (2 kits required) $96.20
EP7266 Zeta Rear Lower Control Arm & Rear Trailing Arm Outer (2 kits required) $96.20
EP7267 Zeta Rear Toe link - inner and outer (2 kits required) $96.20
EP7267 Zeta Rear Toe link - inner and outer (2 kits required) $96.20
4659 G8 Zeta Extreme Strut - Brace $252.12
G8 PEDDERS TRACK II WITH DROP COILS PARTS TOTAL $3,249.74
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $749.75
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $2,499.99

Everything the Street II has, plus every bushing, plus sway bars!

I know,
too many choices!

So if you have any questions, just ask. I know this is a lot of info

mike
dms

jbradsh1
04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks very much. Yes, it's a lot to study but hey that's part of what makes a car like the G8 so much fun.

dms
04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks very much. Yes, it's a lot to study but hey that's part of what makes a car like the G8 so much fun.

We have about 17 different systems for the G8 and will probably go to 20. We do this because our systems are discounted, and we want to be able to offer a serious amount of flexibility to our G8 guys. It does take some study and lots of questions. The study is up to you. The answers to your questions are from us. We truly want you to get the biggwst bang for your buck, and at the same time, get the system that most suits your needs.

thanks, and again, if you have questions, just ask. If you need a one on one discussion, you can call me

thanks
mike
dms

jbradsh1
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks again, probably do just do that after my trip up to Livernois.

RJ'sMgnchrgedG8
04-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I was going to do the Track II. Now I'm waiting on the XA's to arrive.
Mike(Dms) convinced me that I can establish an even more comfortable ride than stock if I wanted it and is as easy as a few clicks.
With a baby on the way and a maggie under the hood, I will need as much adjustability options as possible.

RJ

p71
04-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks again, probably do just do that after my trip up to Livernois.

Man after my own heart...

we should both go up in June.

jbradsh1
04-10-2009, 02:22 AM
The G8 handles well stock but it needs some help with the suspension to be on par the engine's performance after mods. I know that PM is a Pedders Dealer and they are about 1/2 hr. away from my abode so that's where I'm going to have some work done.