PDA

View Full Version : Front sway bar connector

66goat
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
So I was having some clunking noise coming from the front of the car so I took it into the Dealership today to have them look at it. That’s when it all turned south. The clunking noise is coming from the bracket that mounts the sway bar to the engine cradle. Apparently, the bolt that is supposed to hold the bracket to the cradle had broken off. Sound easy to fix, No. The service rep told me that they have to drop the cradle to fix the bolt, and that they want to have the regional rep from GM come and look at the problem because there is no reason that this bolt should have broke.
I will let you know how it all turns out. Keep your fingers crossed that this is not going to be a common problem.

GRRRR8
03-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Just had mine off to put the Pedders in and all was well. Usually when bolts break like that they were loose and the force of the sway bar doing its job breaks them or it was over tightened and it stressed the bolt.

MojaveG8
03-20-2009, 04:25 AM
They are only dropping the craddle because that is what it says in the book. You don't have to drop it ,but I am sure they will. I would take my car back from them and have a Pedders dealer install a new FSB !

dms
03-20-2009, 08:39 PM
You do not have to drop the cradle to do the sway bar or the bushings. But there are studs in the front cradle that hold the front sway bar D brackets in place, and you just use nuts to secure. So to access the stud, you may have drop the cradle to access. I have never looked to see what actually holds the studs in.

If was to guess, the bolt was partially cross threaded or there was a casting issue with the stuf, and with the energy of the bar, it snapped it.

The only reason they should need to chat with their rep, is if they are asking for a bunch of OLH ( other labor hours) or if they are trying to make a decision whether to repair or replace the cradle.

mike
dms