PDA

View Full Version : Front seal leak

MongosG8
01-16-2019, 10:33 AM
I was wondering if there ever was an issue with the front seal leaking? Noticed it wet on the front bottom of the motor. Not sure if it's an oil pan gasket but it looks more like the seal up front. Any idea or suggestions? I never had an ounce of oil leak out of this car for 9.5 year's. Now all of a sudden I see a leak

G8eraid
01-16-2019, 12:07 PM
It's is most likely where the oil pan/block and timing cover meet(couple inches on each side). This area is sealed with RTV(also applies to the rear portion pan/block) and over time it usually starts leaking slowly. Mine was leaking at the rear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MongosG8
01-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the heads up. The stealership said without looking at it the cost would be 2800.00 to fix. My jaw dropped

G8eraid
01-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Thank you for the heads up. The stealership said without looking at it the cost would be 2800.00 to fix. My draw droppedWow! It's not hard to do, I took the motor mount nuts off and jacked the motor up w/wood at oil pan as high as I could. Then used 2 small pieces of wood 2x4 about 5inch long between motor mount and engine to keep it up. Lower and remove jack. Pan came out fairly easy. If you confirm it is only leaking at the Front then all you need is a new oil pan gasket and RTV. Unless you want to change the timing cover gasket which requires the balancer to be removed. Might as well do a 3 bolt cam, chain, dog bone tensioner, all seals/gaskets etc. and you will still be under $2500 with spring kit and Trunion upgrade

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MongosG8
01-16-2019, 01:04 PM
They are telling me its most likely the timing cover thats leaking. My issue with dealerships.. I dont believe them. I work for one and they would fuck their own mother to make a buck. I agree with you for all that I could do some upgrades and still come out ahead.

jimmyban
01-16-2019, 06:05 PM
They are telling me its most likely the timing cover thats leaking. My issue with dealerships.. I dont believe them. I work for one and they would fuck their own mother to make a buck. I agree with you for all that I could do some upgrades and still come out ahead.

It’s a sign from above that it’s time for a DOD delete...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MongosG8
01-16-2019, 07:29 PM
It’s a sign from above that it’s time for a DOD delete...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha.. I've heard that from many people.. My brother being the biggest advocate. Telling me to upgrade and dump the DOD.

-Ray-
01-17-2019, 04:02 AM
It's G8 revenge. For all those times you said you were going to sell it.

donkeyGT
01-17-2019, 09:10 AM

Nice one Ray..I agree with jimmy and your brother if your going to keep it trash the DOD shit if the pocketbook allows.

MongosG8
01-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Lol! ..Ray I never said that... ;) :whistle:
Karma bit me in the ass.

I was given a price last year from Pace.. I need to call them again and see what a mild cam dod delete package will cost me now.

MongosG8
01-17-2019, 12:08 PM
I need to find me some headers too. I need to keep the cats due to the emission laws in this state. So maybe some mid catted kooks.
There goes my tax return if the wife doesnt take it from me.

STL_G8GT
01-17-2019, 06:31 PM
It's G8 revenge. For all those times you said you were going to sell it.Hahahaha

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

JimmyJazz
01-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Once, there was a penguin driving across Death Valley. His car got hot and overheated just as he got to a small town with just a café and a service station. He was just able to drive into the service station when his car quit running. While they looked at his car, he went to the café. He got hot and asked if there was anywhere cooler because, well, he's a penguin. They let him sit in the walk in freezer since he was well, a penguin. There was a stash of ice cream bars, and was kind of hungry. He overdid it and ate all of the vanilla ice cream bars, then fell asleep. He woke up a little later and went to check on his car. When he arrived, they said, "well, it looks like you blew a seal." He wiped off his beak and replied, "nah, that's just ice cream."

tchr49
01-18-2019, 03:47 AM
Once, there was a penguin driving across Death Valley. His car got hot and overheated just as he got to a small town with just a café and a service station. He was just able to drive into the service station when his car quit running. While they looked at his car, he went to the café. He got hot and asked if there was anywhere cooler because, well, he's a penguin. They let him sit in the walk in freezer since he was well, a penguin. There was a stash of ice cream bars, and was kind of hungry. He overdid it and ate all of the vanilla ice cream bars, then fell asleep. He woke up a little later and went to check on his car. When he arrived, they said, "well, it looks like you blew a seal." He wiped off his beak and replied, "nah, that's just ice cream."

Made my day.....

norm8332
01-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Thank you for the heads up. The stealership said without looking at it the cost would be 2800.00 to fix. My jaw droppedHow much is leaking? Do you have to add oil in between changes? If it is not much, you could just do nothing. Mine has been leaking for years at the back of the motor. Less than 1/4 QT between changes and never gets worse.

MongosG8
01-18-2019, 09:40 AM

LMAO! Thanks for that!

MongosG8
01-18-2019, 09:59 AM
How much is leaking? Do you have to add oil in between changes? If it is not much, you could just do nothing. Mine has been leaking for years at the back of the motor. Less than 1/4 QT between changes and never gets worse.

Honestly not that much. Just sucks that one day after 9.5 years now I see a leak. I can live with it but I rather live it with for a short time until I have all the parts to make the upgrades.