PDA

View Full Version : Kooks LT's w/o a tune

vert
03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
What, if any, issues can I have if I install my 1 3/4 headers/catted x pipe without a tune. I have the opportunity to do the install this weekend, but I am waiting for the vararam + VMS tune and cables. I do have a dashhawk to do some monitoring, but what should I keep a close eye on.
Thanks

r33pwrd
03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
well I have been waiting on itake and tune as well... I have the kooks and get a check engine light for low catalist but the car is not affected other than no remote start and an annoying check engine light!

vert
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I am like a kid at christmas and it is killing me having the headers just sitting in the garage, I wanted to do everything all at once to feel how much the car comes alive.

RxApple
03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
well I have been waiting on itake and tune as well... I have the kooks and get a check engine light for low catalist but the car is not affected other than no remote start and an annoying check engine light!

Why does it make the check engine light come on and why would a tune fix this??

vert
03-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I think it is due to the extra exhaust flow, plus the high flow cats allow extra gases escape. The stock cats would burn majority of the gases off before the O2 sensor. The tune just recognizes the check engine code and keeps the ecm from throwing the code.

r33pwrd
03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I think it is due to the extra exhaust flow, plus the high flow cats allow extra gases escape. The stock cats would burn majority of the gases off before the O2 sensor. The tune just recognizes the check engine code and keeps the ecm from throwing the code.

I think most tunes turn off the rear 02 sensors... ?? the rear 02s make sure the cats are working to their full potential and with high flow ones the computer thinks the cats are not working correctly.

Darkside
03-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I've been running Lt's with offroad pipe for two weeks now without issues besides the engine light.

Kermit
03-19-2009, 06:02 AM
I have had the same things you have (Kooks LT 3/4, X-pipe, and Dash hawk) for over a month now and my only issue has been the engine light for popping the 0420 and 0430 code. Just use the Dash hawk to clear it and you will still have access to remote starting. I too am waiting for the Vararam and then will get a tune to turn off the back O2 sensors.

WhyteSS
03-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I've been running Lt's with offroad pipe for two weeks now without issues besides the engine light.

Has SW released their set up yet ? Also, does the remote start no longer work after you install headers? Thanks.

norm8332
03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
If there are any codes thrown the remote start doesn't work.

Darkside
03-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Has SW released their set up yet ? Also, does the remote start no longer work after you install headers? Thanks.

Yeah, they should be ready to go. I'm in the process of getting my shit together to be a vendor for them. I should be able to pass on some nice savings.

The factory remote start will not work with a check engine light on. Once you have a tune for the headers it will not affect it. My aftermarket remote start still works with the code on.

norm8332
03-19-2009, 08:24 AM
One thing I forgot to add. If you are really trying to avoid a tune, you can Purchase O2 sensor simulators that "trick" the computer into thinking everything is OK. Some are on ebay. You want the wire-in type.

MojaveG8
03-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Install them ! You are missing a lot of fun while you wait. Then add as you get the other mods. I order the new VMS cable tune so as they add support for items just update and tune the car again.

vert
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Install them ! You are missing a lot of fun while you wait. Then add as you get the other mods. I order the new VMS cable tune so as they add support for items just update and tune the car again.

I have to agree with you, so it looks like I will be on my back this weekend. I just hope it continues once the wife and me go to bed.:nud:

RxApple
03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
So... say I use the Cortex to remove the code, will it come back on repeatedly??? My headers aren't in (got the X-pipe today), they are on their way....

Pugaracer
03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
It will come back on. I have the cortex and the Kook's LT with cats, just installed them over the weekend. Also, the tunnel brace rubs slightly. I took it to a muffler shop to see if they could adjust it, but no luck.

g8_795
03-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Your car will be fine. Yes, you will get the error codes thrown for the catalyst inefficiency which will disable your remote start while the CIL is on. That is the biggest pain. You will get a large gain even without the tune.

GO FOR IT!!!!

:woohoo:

Torqued
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
small highjack...without a tune will adding LT headers w cats make the car run rich or lean?

g8_795
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I believe it richens it out. I know mine was very rich once I put the headers on, but I don't know where I was before I installed them. I was at 11.9-12.1 @ WOT.

vert
03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
It will come back on. I have the cortex and the Kook's LT with cats, just installed them over the weekend. Also, the tunnel brace rubs slightly. I took it to a muffler shop to see if they could adjust it, but no luck.

Did they try to put shims in to help with clearance?

bigwillys58
03-19-2009, 06:17 PM

i loosely started all the bolts together then stuffed a thick summit book (about 3/8" thick) between the pipes and tunnel brace then tightend everything up. that works pretty good for me. and yes you will git p0420 and p0430 catalyst inefficiency codes but does not affect the performance. just as the others have stated it does kill the remote start. mine didnt show up till after about 150 miles so i just turned off the codes with hp tuners. completely turning off the rear o2s requires a few other codes to be turned off also...

Pugaracer
03-20-2009, 04:45 PM

No they didn't, I ordered the BMR Tunnel Brace from Maryland Speed and that solved all the rattling issues. As for the leaks, $5 worth of muffler tape took care of them. So, other than the check engine light, all is well for now.

Kermit
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Speaking of running rich, I would like to know how I'm running. I have the Dash hawk so what parameters should I be scanning? What are normal levels?

MarylandSpeed
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
You can install them without a tune. Our car picked up 25HP untuned..and then went up another 20 tuned. You will get an SES light and the car may run slightly rich. I would not run more than a few weeks like that.