PDA

View Full Version : Traction issues!

jbradsh1
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, I can't punch the car anymore, either off the line or even at a 15-20 mph roll without the tires burning all the way through 1st gear and then a big scratch on the 1-2 shift.

Will better tires than the OEM Goodyear A/S tires handle this unruly phenomenon or will I have to go to larger rear wheels (9.5") AND better tires to handle this underestimated problem?

And another question is: what if I add a Maggie, how will I get any traction on the street, AT ALL? Maybe you could try and answer this Arthur if you're reading this at the moment.

GT G8
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
See here?

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3952

GT-610
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
dude.a set of wheels off my sons tricycle will give you better traction than goodyear rsa's! The summer tires that come on the gt are awesome,but after some modding can break loose as well.
Get sticky summers and keep the rsa's for winter.Or go crazy with a set of DR's if you really wanna street race/track it alot

MANOFSTEEL69
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I get pretty good grip out of my all-season kuhmos, but can break it loose mashing the pedal @ 60. Even DRs will spin like crazy under non-drag racing conditions. Hell, they spin under drag racing conditions. ;) Easiest cure Jeff, but most boring, is keep the right foot lifted.
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.75 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

jbradsh1
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I get pretty good grip out of my all-season kuhmos, but can break it loose mashing the pedal @ 60. Even DRs will spin like crazy under non-drag racing conditions. Hell, they spin under drag racing conditions. ;) Easiest cure Jeff, but most boring, is keep the right foot lifted.
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.75 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

I can't do that! I think I'm going to try either General Exclaims or Nitto Invo's (over sized of course). Think there is much of a difference between 255's vs 275's?

SRG963
03-18-2009, 03:09 PM
I can't do that! I think I'm going to try either General Exclaims or Nitto Invo's (over sized of course). Think there is much of a difference between 255's vs 275's?

You can go 285's if you can go 275's, and 285's are about 1 1/2" wider I believe.

I'm getting Invos or Michelin A/S Plus, can't make up my damn mind.

Andy@Livernois
03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
TRUST ME!!! run the invo's ;)

SRG963
03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

I will take your advise, I like the aggressive look they have also :headbang:

jbradsh1
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm going to stick with my original decision, which was to go with oversized wheels and tires and go with Nitto Invo's (Andy @Livernois recommendation); keep the stock wheels and tires for winter duty, if they ever have one in Florida that is.

GRRRR8
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
ET Streets for me........and I think I need more then that! :devil:

zosoboogie
03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, I can't punch the car anymore, either off the line or even at a 15-20 mph roll without the tires burning all the way through 1st gear and then a big scratch on the 1-2 shift.

Will better tires than the OEM Goodyear A/S tires handle this unruly phenomenon or will I have to go to larger rear wheels (9.5") AND better tires to handle this underestimated problem?

And another question is: what if I add a Maggie, how will I get any traction on the street, AT ALL? Maybe you could try and answer this Arthur if you're reading this at the moment.

you must feather it, tap tap tap, no punch

jbradsh1
03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
ET Streets for me........and I think I need more then that! :devil:

Charlie, I don't think they've made a tire yet to handle the herd you'll have stampeding under the hood!

jbradsh1
03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
you must feather it, tap tap tap, no punch

Now that it truly funny!

Mike P
03-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm going to stick with my original decision, which was to go with oversized wheels and tires and go with Nitto Invo's (Andy @Livernois recommendation); keep the stock wheels and tires for winter duty, if they ever have one in Florida that is.

I have a feeling, I'm going to be looking into tires (as well as suspension mods) after I get this cam shaft put in.

Jeff: I just saw your 12.8 in your signature! Nice.......

jeppsG8
03-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Gently now, you just wanna kiss the throttle, just a little peck, a smooch like you're kissing your sister.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Gently now, you just wanna kiss the throttle, just a little peck, a smooch like you're kissing your sister.

Careful.....Kissing your sister could have various results depending on what state you live in ;)

GRRRR8
03-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Charlie, I don't think they've make a tire yet to handle the herd you'll have stampeding under the hood!

I might be adding to that herd soon!

jbradsh1
03-19-2009, 06:45 AM

I have no doubt!

So Charlie, how are you planning to handle traction, or should I say lack of, when on the street that is?

confused2much
03-19-2009, 06:47 AM

Jesus man, what more can be added??? LOL.

GRRRR8
03-19-2009, 06:53 AM
I have no doubt!

So Charlie, how are you planning to handle traction, or should I say lack of, when on the street that is?

I will always have ET Streets on it or DRs at a minimum. I will use stock wheels for long trips or cruises that are long distance, but I really dont do much of that.

Jesus man, what more can be added??? LOL.

There is always Nitrous, but I have a feeling it will be more cubes and better internals late summer.

Mike P
03-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Here's a good read on the Nitto Invo's:

I'll post the whole article & the link too......

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/nitto-invo-ultra-high-performance-tire-review/

By Michael Posner
January 31, 2008

If you’re a pistonhead, you have people. You know, Nick the mechanic or Joe the dyno. I got a tire guy: Ernie Bello. Bello tires is a performance car hangout, with all the right equipment for mondo mods and a lounge, decorated with a map of the Nürburgring, stocked with car mags, ice cream and kick-ass Cuban coffee. When my sports car needed new tires I clicked on Tire Rack for price and advice. I then went to Ernie. Hey Ernie! Whaddayathinkin here?

For a long time, Ernie was a Toyo guy. Ernie’s now nuts on Nittos. Trusting Ernie’s advice, I went with the Nitto Invo. I’ve now driven over five thousand spirited miles on the shoes, including a 1500 mile trek to the BMW factory in Spartanburg, SC.

Like many high performance cars, my BMW boasts staggered wheel sizes: 225/45 17” wheels in the front, and 245/40 17” wheels in the back (on the stock rims). This setup improves handling, but eliminates front-to-back tire rotation. That means shorter tire life; the rears suffer from my aggressive driving style, while the fronts stay ahead of the game.

Bottom line: I got great G’s on the track, and then spent them down at Ernie’s replacing the rears on a regular basis. Readers of my reviews will not be surprised to learn that I wanted a tire that wasn’t overly expensive, offering reasonable wear life, without sacrificing performance. I was pleased to learn that the Invos are non-directional; I can rotate the rubber side-to-side to balance wear. Somewhat.

The Invos are classified by Nitto as ultra-performance street tires. Translation: they’re designed for both wet and dry traction– without sacrificing ride comfort and noise suppression. Competitors include the Michelin Pilot Exaltos, the General Exclaims (previously reviewed), Firestone Firehawks and Bridgestone Potenzas.

The Invo has a unique design. The tire incorporates standard tread design with a three channel-deep wide-rib, located on one side. Nitto claims that combining an inner rib with two circumferential grooves improves wet weather performance. The rest of the tire consists of a Silica-reinforced tread compound, variable pitched grooves and large inner and outer contact patches (for improved dry handling).

The Invos come in sizes ranging from 225/45 17” to bling-sized 275/25 24” monsters. The tires are “Z” rated; good for speeds over 149 mph. But they’re also limited by a “W” rating, which pegs the maximum safe speed at 154 mph. The 17” tires I purchased have a 91 rating for load, which means a maximum load per tire of 1356 pounds in the front. The larger rear Invos support over 2000 pounds per tire, for a 5000 pound total.

Nitto warrants Invo tires for uniformity problems for sixty months after purchase– subject to rotation every 3500 miles. As expected with performance tires, no mileage warranty is offered.

Without sophisticated equipment, testing tire on a scientific basis is impossible. As to mileage tests, one requires either many years of patience or a machine to artificially add mileage. Having neither, I can only provide my subjective analysis of the tires based on years of experience.

The other issue with tires is the trade-off between comfort/noise/longevity versus performance and traction. Tires that lean toward performance usually have comfort and noise issues. Softer, more compliant tires aid comfort but lose performance capabilities.

I tested the Invos for four characteristics: noise, comfort, dry traction and wet traction. The easiest to measure was the Invo’s noise level. I found the tires extremely quiet, with little noise intrusion with the vehicle’s top down, and none with the top up.

Comfort was harder to measure; the BMW M Roadster is already a somewhat harsh vehicle to start. Compared to the stock Michelin Pilots, I found no change in the comfort level with the Invos installed. I lean to a harsher ride on a sports car and the Invos did not make the ride any worse.

The fun part of testing is pushing tires to the limit on the street in simulated track tests in open lots. All tests were performed with the traction control turned off.

I tested dry handling by completing high speed turns and simulated slaloms. I found traction to be substantial, with the car failing to break away. This made reasonable drifting impossible. I also tried several panic stops, inducing ABS vibration. Again the Invos functioned very well.

Wet traction was only slightly worse with slower slalom speeds and longer braking. I never felt a loss of control. I’d trust these tires (though my M never sees rain, the spoiled bitch that she is).

With the install, I paid $600 for all four shoes at Bello Tires. Not the cheapest option, but well worth the price and competitive with the other tires mentioned above. Now if I can only get 20k miles on them!

GRRRR8
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Good read Mike, but I didnt know you read anything that didnt have cam specs in it. :nah:

Mike P
03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Good read Mike, but I didnt know you read anything that didnt have cam specs in it. :nah:

As always Charlie, you are one of the resident comedians! :)

I am learning fast from other cammed G8's that:

Cam = big RWHP = traction issues = NEED TIRES!!!

:Math lesson over:

(P.S. I need to finish watching LOST from yesterday).....

jbradsh1
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I will always have ET Streets on it or DRs at a minimum. I will use stock wheels for long trips or cruises that are long distance, but I really dont do much of that.

Hate to sound ignorant, but I guess it's a moot point at this point, but what are ET Streets and where do I find 'em? If they're good enough for you then they're good enough for me!

G8GT721
03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Careful.....Kissing your sister could have various results depending on what state you live in ;)

hahaha and i was hoping for some pics of tractions issues

GeorgeInNePa
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Hate to sound ignorant, but I guess it's a moot point at this point, but what are ET Streets and where do I find 'em? If they're good enough for you then they're good enough for me!

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreet

Not recommended for rain, completely useless in snow.

They are a tubeless (26/11.50/17 only), bias ply tire.

GRRRR8
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Drag race, limited street use. No rat racing or screwing around! You dont want to learn the hard way........I'm telling you!!

'02 ws6
03-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Drag race, limited street use. No rat racing or screwing around! You dont want to learn the hard way........I'm telling you!!

EXACTLY! You do not wanna gamble with these tires. I swap from nittos to these @ the track. Heard too many stories regarding street driving and ..gulp..rain! Great track tire though!
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

zosoboogie
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
hey jbradsh1,

did you get that traction issue resolved? Because when i drive I always see the traction control assistance warning displayed all the time!!

jbradsh1
03-20-2009, 01:47 PM
hey jbradsh1,

did you get that traction issue resolved? Because when i drive I always see the traction control assistance warning displayed all the time!!

Nope, only going to get maybe 20K miles out of the stock Goodyear RSA's (which is about 3K miles from now), so I can forget about good traction until I loose them. Then I'm going to switch to either Nitto Invo's or very possibly General Exclaim's. Both come in the sizes I want which are: front: 245X45X18 and on the back: 255X45X18. Decided not to get wheels for the moment, same with the headers.

I would think your dash looks like the christmas tree lights at the drags, with the traction control - stability control going nuts flashing all the time! How many guys have you raced so far, just curious, it would be fun to hear of some of your tales.

zosoboogie
03-20-2009, 04:44 PM
if I were u I get the Nittos

jbradsh1
03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
if I were u I get the Nittos

Will do Kimosabi!