PDA

View Full Version : Dyno in Austin area

ThugHunter
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Anyone know a good place to get a few pulls for a good price?

AusTXGT
03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
These guys are in Buda and have a Dyno. Nothing posted on the website for rates. I tried to get them to tune my car but never could get anything scheduled.

http://www.americanracingtech.com/index.php

I don't Know if you consider New Braunfels to be the Austin area but I will include these guys too. They did the tune on my car.

http://hendersonperformance.com/

jboogie
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Did u get just an ECM tune or was it ECM and TCM? Do u mind me asking how much they charged? U can PM me if u dont wanna post it. I have been waiting on that damn (taking forever) Vararam CAI before i get a tune. Didnt know anyone was close.. Saves me a trip to H-Town :)

Thanks!

AusTXGT
03-18-2009, 04:57 PM
It was ECM and TCM. The TCM changes were basic(line pressure, shift speeds, and small TQM adjustment). I believe it was $400. I am kind of curious to see how the TCM tune compares to a Vector tune. I have thought about buying the vector cable setup just so I can get their TCM tune and compare them on the same tranny. Do you live in South Austin? I saw a MGM GT a couple of days ago on Slaughter. He did a uturn and was next to me a the light @ slaughter and manchacha.

jboogie
03-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Vector is the front runner of the tunes i have been looking at so far. I have been waiting on that Vararam CAI and want to get a tune after i receive it. They are supposed to be creating a tune specifically for that CAI.

If the place u went to is any good i would like to have a local shop "tweak" me as i add more mods. Im not to keen on waiting on a cable from vector everytime i need or want to update something.

I live in Round Rock and only really go into austin on the weekends (i am very rarely in south austin).. If u see me it will be around the 183 area. I have a few friends that work at custom sounds on burnet rd that i visit from time to time.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
03-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Vector is the front runner of the tunes i have been looking at so far. I have been waiting on that Vararam CAI and want to get a tune after i receive it. They are supposed to be creating a tune specifically for that CAI.

If the place u went to is any good i would like to have a local shop "tweak" me as i add more mods. Im not to keen on waiting on a cable from vector everytime i need or want to update something.

If you purchase our new PowerFlash cable there is no wait for updates.

AusTXGT
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
If you purchase our new PowerFlash cable there is no wait for updates.

I was looking at trying the powerflash setup. I have one question. Is the datalogger built into the cables or do I have to have a laptop hooked up to log data? Same question for the tune. Do you load it onto the cable/datalogger then flash to the car or does the computer need to be hooked up the entire time?

AusTXGT
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM

I tried to stay local just because of the fact that when I need future non tune work done I have some place to go. Everyones idea of a good shop is a little different. Corey was a good guy to deal with and listened to what I wanted and what my goals where. I was looking for a tune that would get me more from the motor but not push the limits on reliablitiy or drive ability. I feel I got that. I am sure I could get another 10HP if I go back but it is not that important to me. Kirk has more tuning experience with the G8 which is why I would like to try his tune. More out of curiosity than the need for more power. I am not chasing the max dyno number and I don't run the car at the track. Plus the new powerflash setup will allow me to go back to stock setup for dealer visits.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
03-20-2009, 04:40 AM
I was looking at trying the powerflash setup. I have one question. Is the datalogger built into the cables or do I have to have a laptop hooked up to log data? Same question for the tune. Do you load it onto the cable/datalogger then flash to the car or does the computer need to be hooked up the entire time?

The data logger logs to the laptop hard drive. The tunes are loaded using your computer. It takes about 2 minutes. You then do not need the laptop further.

jboogie
03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Kirk,
When do u think you all will have a tune for the vararam CAI?

jstadter
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Regarding a dyno in Austin, Colvin's Automotive has one. The Porsche club hosts a dyno day there each year, and Colvin's has always treated them well. I suspect they'd also be a good place to use to get a tune.

http://www.colvinautomotive.com/

Jim

ThugHunter
03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I've heard of them before. Their prices seem pretty reasonable for just runs and no tune and it's a heck of a lot closer than New Braunfels. Thanks

ThugHunter
04-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Regarding a dyno in Austin, Colvin's Automotive has one. The Porsche club hosts a dyno day there each year, and Colvin's has always treated them well. I suspect they'd also be a good place to use to get a tune.

http://www.colvinautomotive.com/

Jim

I ended up going to Colvin and had a GRRRR8 experience. Dyno Dan hooked me up with some good runs.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/ThugHunter247/DynoResults.jpg

jstadter
04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Excellent! I'm glad it worked out for you. I'll have to pay them a visit once I get my G8.

Jim