PDA

View Full Version : Paint problems

gearhead455
03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
My panther black GT is 3 weeks old, I took it back for a scratch on the pass. door handle,a scratch on the rear bumper and a rusted nut on the driver side rear spoiler bolt,things I noticed the next day after I picked it up,dealer took care of it....almost, I just opened the trunk and saw they put on a different rusted nut!!! and I also just noticed (because the sun has been out for a few days and I could see better) on back edge of the rear spoiler the paint is gone and the white fiberglass can be seen!! I thought it was wax. Also the drivers side body molding under the rocker panel has a worn spot!!!

WTF? I called the dealer and am going over to see the body shop manager after work tomorrow to show him and make an appointment, I better not hear any whining from them or else heads will roll!!! lol

here are some pics I just took (car is a little dirty) what do you guys think?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/G8paintproblems003.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/G8paintproblems004.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/G8paintproblems001.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/G8paintproblems002.jpg

norm8332
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I got a ton of marks like that. If you drive it, it will get scratched....I know it's tough seeing your new car get marked. I would have the dealer fix the spoiler though for sure.

the paint is pretty thin on mine too. Mine is Panther Black also.

GXPaycheck
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
I think the white is leftover from the protective film it had on it from transport. The plastic underneath is black. It really shows on a white car.

gearhead455
03-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I think the white is leftover from the protective film it had on it from transport. The plastic underneath is black. It really shows on a white car.

I don't think so,white powder comes off when you scrape it with your fingernail.I do notice some white specks from the film in other places,when the weather gets better I'm going to use the clay bar then put this wax on her....

http://www.autobarn.net/gliptone-paint-sealant.html?site=google_base

ThugHunter
03-17-2009, 04:31 AM
Could be worse. I had my car for four days when I got my first ding, which consisted of a fouled off baseball while driving through a parking lot. It hit the front of the hood a couple inches from the right hood vent. Fortunately my wife works for the dealer and the dentless paint repair guy fixed it right up. No sign of the dent ever existing.

Oh yeah almost forgot....I was pissed, but what could I do!!

gearhead455
03-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Stopped at the dealer, their going to take care of it.:woohoo:

Chewy
03-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Sweet! Get used to the stupid thin paint that GM supplied us... I am in the process of fixing a rock chip right now and I would say this paint is half as thick as the paint on my '98 F150 and it shows it.

'02 ws6
03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Yea the thin PBM paint is insane! There's already a good 4-5 chips on the front of mine, as well as the pass door. Driving your car everyday though, things like that should be expected unfortunately. I also gotta get two dents popped out as well, 1 shopping cart, and 1 door ding.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Lopedawg
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Anyone else notice orange peel next to the rear license plate bracket?

I notice on mine but I couldn't take good enough pics of it to show you guys.

Is that something the dealer should fix for me?

Chewy
03-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Anyone else notice orange peel next to the rear license plate bracket?

I notice on mine but I couldn't take good enough pics of it to show you guys.

Is that something the dealer should fix for me?

Yeah! It's not horrible but I think the gun distance is to long there. They probably go straight across the back and don't go in where the plate resides.

Some wet sand paper and a lot of elbow grease could knock them down a lot.

-Ray-
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah! It's not horrible but I think the gun distance is to long there. They probably go straight across the back and don't go in where the plate resides.

Some wet sand paper and a lot of elbow grease could knock them down a lot.

No elbow grease. Scuff lightly. Use a block if you have it. If it doesn't really bother you, leave it alone. You don't want to sand through the clear coat.

gearhead455
03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Dropped the car at the dealer on my way to work,he calls in the afternoon to tell me,while taking off the rear spoiler to paint it, the dude broke one of the clips off from underneath,and he is going to put a new one on but found out that they are on "national backorder" WTF? and he will call me when it comes in,in the meantime he "glued the tab back on and put the spoiler back on, now there is a gap (1/4"approx.) on the drivers edge of spoiler between trunk lid.So now I have to drive it like that until the spoiler comes in.

I'm slowly becoming disappointed and pissed off,maybe expecting a new car not to have problems is asking too much.:mad: they didn't fix the other things either because they didn't want to mix up the paint twice.!!!!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/notthisshitagain.jpg

gearhead455
04-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Dealer called today,new spoiler is painted and the install is tomorrow and I'm getting a free first oil change.:woohoo:

-Ray-
04-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Good the hear it's all fixed up. I noticed my spoiler showing the same white on the leading edge like yours.

gearhead455
04-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Well I go to pick up the car after work and the spoiler looks great,but the service manager said he was backed up because a couple mechanics were out sick so he didn't get to the oil change,but to come back anytime. (I left a note to remind them that it takes 8.8 quarts) He said that the engine takes only 8 quarts and if you put 8.8 in it is too much,and besides you don't need to change the oil because you only have 1500 miles on the car and it don't need to be changed until 7,000 miles. I told him that I like to change out new car oil around 1000 miles in case some machining chips may be floating around,he said oh you don't have to worry about that anymore,I told him I'm old skool and will be back to get it changed next week. lol. Any way,I knew from reading my manual that the engine takes 8.8 quarts.Sounds like this guy is full of BS. to me.No?

IcePickFreak
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I changed mine out at 500 miles, and definitely put 8.8qts back in. I checked at 8qts for shits n giggles since there seems to be a lot of confusion, and it was a just under a qt low on the stick.

gearhead455
04-03-2009, 02:39 AM
I sent the owner of the dealership an e-mail last night about the service managers knowledge of the L76 engine.

ThugHunter
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
I thought I read somewhere that it takes 9.5 qts. Is that not right?

Chooch
04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I believe 8.8 with filter, all I know is double check, first oil change at dealer they put in 6, so I asked cause I knew, service manger looked it up and she told the tech, go get another 3 quarts of Mobil 1 and verify it is full. They updated records to make sure they put in 8, then slowly top up to fill after oil change. My G8 was the first of the onces they sold to come in for service so I cant really blame them to a degree, but I also cant argue with a Mobil 1 Oil change and filter for 75.99 when almost 9 quarts is used