PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Key and Ignition Circuit Diagram

likemyg8
04-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Anyone have an ignition circuit diagram for a 08 G8. Having "stuck key problems" and wanted to understand all interconnection devices for starting, locking shifter, etc. Shifter is NOT locked in park, as a matter of fact, it will pull out of park just sitting. But cannot turn key to OFF position to remove. Can start it. Putting it in park will activate the door unlock and the indicator on the dash says it's in park. That tells me the Shift Lock Sensor at least sees that. Brake pedal position sensor does not seem to cause relay to click near the shifter. Saw this in a video. Brake lights work.

Trying to figure this out so I don't get reamed at either the dealership or a shop.

Any suggestions?

STL_G8GT
04-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Yoire saying you can move shifter without pulling the "trigger" button?

STL_G8GT
04-15-2018, 10:56 AM

likemyg8
04-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Sorry. No have to pull the button, but do not have to apply brake. Button pulls regardless.

likemyg8
04-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the PDF's. Those will help. Just trying to narrow this down. Could be as simple as a faulty ignition switch, but was trying to make sure all switches were lined up to let the key go back to off/lock position and be removed. Had transmission worked on in January and was also leaning toward faulty neutral safety switch. But problem just now surfaced.

STL_G8GT
04-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Auto trans shifter pinout.

In order for the key cylinder to be unlocked, you've gotta pass ground from pin 3 to 6, I believe.

I am not totally sure how the cylinder acts, however, if this was simply an interlock issue then maybe you're able to actually turn the key to OFF, just not remove it.

it sounds like you've said that you can't turn it to the off position, however. But again, as you mentioned, the car is seeing the trans as being in park evidenced by the doors unlocking. Odd for sure.

STL_G8GT
04-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Try this, vague, but it might help...

likemyg8
04-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Thanks again. All of this is electronic is it not? A friend(great mechanic), over the phone said something about a cable to the ignition(mechanical), from the shifter. He has not messed with G8's and is probably used to other systems. Said the release through the cable could be binding. Just a question. I'm going into the shifter now.

STL_G8GT
04-15-2018, 02:07 PM
All electronic, relays and solenoids. The BCM is involved, as well.

I would use that last document I posted for the troubleshooting techniques and test it the way they say to. They specifically are talking about what leads to not being able to put the key in the OFF position, much less remove it.

Good luck!

Leon McJones
04-21-2018, 04:44 AM
When I had intermittent key stuck events I tested relays, fuses, less costly electronics and in the end it was the ground signal switch on the shift assembly. Good luck to you and I hope yours is simpler.