PDA

View Full Version : American Racing Headers review (added video)

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Well, I got around to installing my ARH 1 7/8" long tube headers with catted x-pipe this past weekend.

Brand: American Racing Headers (ARH)
Price: Call Nick
Purchased From: http://www.americanracingheaders.com/

Installation: moderate
Installation Time: 2 hours (with a lift and air tools)
Any Installation Tips You Have: take your time

Quality of Part: 10
Product Performance: 10
Would you Recommend to Others: YES

Any Other Comments: I can't say anything but good things about these headers. They were super easy to install and fit like a champ with not massaging at all. Everything lined up perfectly! I would highly recommend them to anyone considering getting long tube headers.

IF I had to grip about anything it would be that my car is just a little too loud now. I heard everyone talking about how stealthy their GT's were after doing this mod and leaving the stock mufflers on. The thing that I didn't consider is that the GXP mufflers are louder than the GT mufflers. I'm going to hunt down a set of GT mufflers and see if it makes a difference.

Now on to how the car sounds. I'll post a video later today if I have time. When you first fire the car up it's a little loud. At idle it almost sounds a little muddy. I really think this is due to the fact that I got the 1 7/8" and don't have the power to fully utilize them yet. I think a cam or supercharger would take car of this effect pretty quickly. Keep in mind this only sounds like that at idle.

Once the car is moving it is a TOTALLY different animal. The best way I can describe it is that the exhaust note is louder and sharper. Not sure if I can convey the sound well enough. When my car is at full throttle it sounds like a freaking race car. I am VERY pleased with the wide open throttle sound. I only need to quiet down the idle level a little bit.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being negative at all against ARH because I am not in any way. I am VERY happy with my headers. I just want a little quieter setup to suit my personal preference.

Here is the before and after.

Here is the stock setup.
mNcFNYVCv18

Here is the ARH long tube setup.
4U8enwOMVzI

SLVRG8GT
03-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Nice writeup, Nice GXP! Great Color! Hope you get the sound your looking for :D

norm8332
03-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Nice writeup. I wonder what gains you got. Are you going to dyno it again?

You shouldn't have any problem finding the GT muffs at least.

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 05:36 AM
I will get it dyno tuned once I get the Vararam intake. My goal is to get it dyno'd in first week of April. I'll try to get a dyno run before just to see how much I gained without the tune and then see how much the tune adds.

GXPaycheck
03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
My stocks are available as loaners if you want to try them out. I think you said you have a brother with a shop in Garner, I could leave them with him.

r33pwrd
03-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Glad to hear you install was easy! Now get us a sound clip!!!

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
My stocks are available as loaners if you want to try them out. I think you said you have a brother with a shop in Garner, I could leave them with him.

That would be great! My only concern is, what if I like the sound?

r33pwrd
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM

I will trade you.... does anyone know if there is a difference between the two??

nph2005
03-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I love reading a write-up like this. Makes me feal like I made the right decision in purchasing ARH LT's. Mine are currently on order and am looking forward to them showing up. I plan on trying the install myself on jack stands and I do have air tools. Like most, I too plan on keeping the stock mufflers.

nph2005
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I will trade you.... does anyone know if there is a difference between the two??

There must be something different about them, otherwise Pontiac would just use the same muffler. The pics I've seen, show that the chrome outlets actually each have a seperate outlet from the muffler on the GXP. Our GT mufflers have a 2 into 1 for the chrome tail pipe. Curious to here the sound difference on an otherwise identical exhaust system.

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM

The outward difference is that the GT muffler has 1 inlet and 1 outlet that splits into the two tips. The GXP muffler has 1 inlet and two outlets.

dv327
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Sound clip available?

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Sound clip available?

Here is a picture of the GXP muffler.
http://www.usamls.net/brandon/images/dsc05838s.jpg

Here is a video of my stock GXP.

mNcFNYVCv18

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Bump for video.

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice, now it's not .....................wait for it................................Stawk.
:)

ronbuick
03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Is that all it really takes is 2hrs. to R&R headers??, could you please let me know the tools used to do this, and also I have a lift, just curious as to the time involved, even 3hrs. and I'm starting to think headers myself, also how many hands were involved in doing this, thanks. Did you run into any problems or was it all straight forward?

Ron

GXPaycheck
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Cheap rent..........:beer:
You could use 'em till you find another set, or we can sway GT for GXP systems! PM me, I can drop them tomorrow before I head out Wednesday.

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
It took me and a friend about 3 1/2 hours, and we had a 2 post lift.
Granted, we didn't get the instruction sheet and messed around in email trying to get one.

99-LS1-SS
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Is that all it really takes is 2hrs. to R&R headers??, could you please let me know the tools used to do this, and also I have a lift, just curious as to the time involved, even 3hrs. and I'm starting to think headers myself, also how many hands were involved in doing this, thanks. Did you run into any problems or was it all straight forward?

Ron

The guys helping me does this for a living. He is EXTREMELY efficient! It was two hours with a two post lift and air tools. The only hitch in the whole deal is that 3 of the 4 O2 sensors wouldn't come out of the stock exhaust. I had to use one that was laying around the shop and I put two more in the rear bung holes to plug them.

Tom@ARH
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Nice write up sounds like you no issues with the install which is good. Sorry about the sound your the first with the GXP. Is it really that loud I have'nt seen a stock GXP yet so I have no reference to go by

r1owner
03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Man! That sounds awesome! Even stock it sounds tons better than the GT IMO.

Are you getting a drone when driving?

99-LS1-SS
03-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Nice write up sounds like you no issues with the install which is good. Sorry about the sound your the first with the GXP. Is it really that loud I have'nt seen a stock GXP yet so I have no reference to go by
The install and fitment were perfect! Everything cleared fine. My last experience with headers was Pacesetters and on a F-Body and they were terrible! This was a dream compared to those. A stock GXP is a good deal louder than a GT at WOT.

Man! That sounds awesome! Even stock it sounds tons better than the GT IMO.

Are you getting a drone when driving?
Drone is minimal to none. There is a little rasp at start up but once it settles down to it's normal idle it's fine.

johnh
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
A stock GXP is a good deal louder than a GT at WOT.

Yep I test drove a GXP, the sound alone was sweet.

And of course its sound just beastly with those headers...

So how much of a SOTP performance difference did the headers make?

99-LS1-SS
03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I hope to find out in about 10 minutes. It's been raining like hell for 4 days and it's just now drying out. This thing is LOUD at WOT. It sounds like a freaking race car. I'm going to have to get an in-car video.

r1owner
03-17-2009, 08:12 AM
I might be looking for a set of those GXP mufflers if mines too quiet after the header install. As long as there's no highway drone. I think it sounds mean as hell!

99-LS1-SS
03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
I've got a video of me going through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and part of 4th. I forgot to bring the cable or I would upload it now. As soon as I get home I'll upload it to Youtube.

TTSaleen
03-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Nice writeup.
Is this you......

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80807

Ryan

99-LS1-SS
03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice writeup.
Is this you......

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80807

Ryan

LOL! Yeah, that's my car. I didn't know he posted that. Jeff REALLY helped me a lot with the install.

TTSaleen
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
LOL! Yeah, that's my car. I didn't know he posted that. Jeff REALLY helped me a lot with the install.

Cool.
Make sure you post up over there with the results!
Sweet car! I saw they had another silver GXP in the showroom at the Cary Hendrick location this past weekend. I was there looking at the Blue G8. :devil:

Ryan

99-LS1-SS
03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I believe the silver GXP in the showroom doesn't have a sunroof.

camoeto
03-18-2009, 07:09 AM
After seeing your in-car video, all I have to say is WOW! Maybe I shouldn't mod my GT further and just wait until I can get my hands on a used GXP. I really miss the manual, and the LS3 just sounds better. A 358RWHP baseline also helps justify a GXP purchase. That's about 55-60 RWHP better than a GT, and probably works out closer to 425-430 HP than 415 at the crank.

When you took off the stock mid-section, I know someone (maybe you) mentioned the 2 small resonators from the GT are not on the GXP. What about the mid-muffler?