PDA

View Full Version : Leather seats + Heated seats wiring

SRG8
03-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I brought a former rental G8 GT a few months back and it didn't come with leather / heated seats but for the price it was worth it. Recently I purchased a complete set of leather seats for the G8 from eBay (front and back) came complete except for the side airbags which I found out after installing the seats because of "Airbag Error" on the DIC at start up. Oh yeah if you do buy seats from eBay make sure they come with side airbags because it was a bitch to take them off and to install them!

Anyways I checked all the wiring for the side airbag and transfered them from the old seats to new seats. I still have the airbag error on the DIC. Do I have to take the car to the dealership to get the error code cleared because of driving the car with no side airbags for a day?

I have successfully installed the seats with no problems and the 6 way switch works like its supposed to. I would also like to wire up the heated seats to the factory switch... I was wondering if anyone had any wiring information for the switch and the 6 way harness that comes with the heated seats. Its the big white plug on the side that runs under the carpet to the center console.

I really don't care about the heated seats but it would be something I would like to do in the future. But I do want to clear the Airbag error cleared...

Any information would be great that I need to try for clearing the airbag error... Thanks!

Slizzo
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I brought a former rental G8 GT a few months back and it didn't come with leather / heated seats but for the price it was worth it. Recently I purchased a complete set of leather seats for the G8 from eBay (front and back) came complete except for the side airbags which I found out after installing the seats because of "Airbag Error" on the DIC at start up. Oh yeah if you do buy seats from eBay make sure they come with side airbags because it was a bitch to take them off and to install them!

Anyways I checked all the wiring for the side airbag and transfered them from the old seats to new seats. I still have the airbag error on the DIC. Do I have to take the car to the dealership to get the error code cleared because of driving the car with no side airbags for a day?

I have successfully installed the seats with no problems and the 6 way switch works like its supposed to. I would also like to wire up the heated seats to the factory switch... I was wondering if anyone had any wiring information for the switch and the 6 way harness that comes with the heated seats. Its the big white plug on the side that runs under the carpet to the center console.

I really don't care about the heated seats but it would be something I would like to do in the future. But I do want to clear the Airbag error cleared...

Any information would be great that I need to try for clearing the airbag error... Thanks!

It was my understanding that the G8 had side impact airbags standard on the car. I thought they were integrated into the pillar, but maybe I'm wrong?

All the wiring for the heated seats should still be in the car I imagine, as they tried to limit options on this car, I would think they would just wire them all the same and only connect what's needed.

SRG8
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
the G8 has side impact air bags as standard... I was reading on LS1tech.com and it looks like I have to change out the seat buckle from my old seats to clear out the "Airbag Fault" error code on the DIC.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3678009

As per the heated seats GM has two seperate part numbers for "4 way seats" and "6 way seats." To install the heated seats I need the 6 way harness wiring diagram so it functions like the way it comes from factory. The harness from GM is expensive ... around $350 per side. I would rather create my own harness than pay them $700+ for simple harness that's going to be time consuming either way as it would require taking the seats back out and running the wire under the carpet to the center console..

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Let me know if this makes sense to you.

SRG8
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
swapped out the seat buckle sensor from the old seats... and the air bag fault error code is gone!

SRG8
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Let me know if this makes sense to you.

took me a while... but it looks like the wiring diagram for the seat itself... I think I can make it work... have to take a look tomorrow when I look at that big white plug on the side of the car. Also do you have the one for the center console with the two heated seat buttons (driver/passenger side) and traction control. And the wiring diagram for the harness that runs under the carpet unless this is it... Thanks again!

Me and a friend of mine might try this out this weekend if I can get everything.

-Ray-
03-17-2009, 03:04 AM
I don't have anything for the heated seat switches. Sorry

Rbarganier
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
What did you search on ebay I just found a g8 gt with cloth seats it looks like dude must have hated leather but the car is an awesome price!

MIEngineer
12-14-2011, 11:55 PM
My recommendation would be to get the harness from a wrecked G8 and go from there. For this type of install it is much easier for this route because it will be as close to factory as possible and should be relatively inexpensive.

dandragonrage
12-15-2011, 07:56 AM
The stock heated seat controls are TERRIBLE. Push buttons were a STUPID idea. I had an Audi A4 not too long ago as my winter beater and it had dial controls for this that were MUCH better. Why? Because it doesn't forget the settings when you turn the car off. And why does that matter? Remote start. Use aftermarket (or adapted Audi) dial-type controls, in my opinion!

MIEngineer
12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I like them but everyone has their own personal preference.

I don't want them on constantly in my truck or anything else. Plus buttons look better than some ugly knob/switch out of the 80s like my Volvo had ;)

dandragonrage
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
If you want them off, you turn them off. If you want them on, you leave them on. It's more convenient than the stock switches by FAR for those of us who live in cold areas and use remote start. I'm not sure I agree that the stock buttons look better than dials. I honestly think they are the worst heated seat controls I have used, though I'm sure there are many worse that I haven't used. That I agree is subjective.

MIEngineer
12-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't know. I have remote start and heated seats in my Avalanche...I guess i don't care all that much since I'm just happy to enter a warm truck [and I say truck because my G8 sits all winter, but I do use the heated seats more often than not]. I think the stock buttons in the G8 flow well with the console. Knobs look out of place in that interior given the lack of knobs, its all buttons aside from the two really...

But yep, subjective overall...