PDA

View Full Version : GXP mufflers on a GT

dv327
03-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Has anyone put GXP mufflers on a GT? Wondering if they would add some tone to the GT. Any sound clips available?

99-LS1-SS
03-15-2009, 07:22 AM
I think you would need the whole GXP exhaust to notice a real difference. The mufflers are a little different but the mid muffler is a lot different.
Here's the link to my stock GXP exhaust.
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4601

Devilish34
03-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I think you would need the whole GXP exhaust to notice a real difference. The mufflers are a little different but the mid muffler is a lot different.
Here's the link to my stawk GXP exhaust.
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4601

fixed :)

edmanet
03-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm trying to talk Andy at Livernois to get him to switch the axlebacks on my car with the GXP there to see how much louder and to see if it makes a HP difference. Right now I have headers with the matching exhaust with stock axlebacks.

dv327
03-15-2009, 09:26 AM
edmanet, please get a sound clip, if possible. My GT has the ARH system and I am hoping that a change to GXP mufflers will add some more tone.

bowtiefan
05-10-2009, 04:58 AM
Has anyone put GXP mufflers on a GT? Wondering if they would add some tone to the GT. Any sound clips available?

I put on a set of GXP mufflers on my GT earlier in the week and it's a very easy and quick job and they're an identical fit to the GT's stock mufflers. Just remove the 2 bolts (with a 14mm socket) at the axle and slide the mufflers back off the rubber hangar bar located just above the dual exhaust tips. Reinstall the same way, using the original gaskets.

As for the sound, they are definately more rumbly and girgly than the stock mufflers (2 true outlets on the GXP versus 1 on the GT). Not overpowering, though, like the Walker Dynomax Super Turbos that I had on my Corvettes. The nice rumbly sound is pretty noticable on acceleration, especially on the highway when I was accelerating from 65 to 75 mph. I've noticed only a slight drone while cruising on the highway, but it's very tolerable!

I can also say that these mufflers seem to be a lot less restrictive too and I really notice an increase in power! The car just tears away from a stop now and didn't do that with the stock mufflers on.

If you can find a set, I think they're a nice addition to the GT.

dv327
05-10-2009, 06:20 AM
bowtie fan, thanks for your review. Does any one know what the Gxp catback pipe size is? 2.25" or 2.5"?