PDA

View Full Version : Loud Exhaust Options for L76

Codhiggity
08-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I just bought a 2009 G8 GT bone stock and one of the first things I noticed was the stock exhaust was very quiet for a V8 engine. Looking for suggestions for a cat-back exhaust system that is loud at idle and lower RPM but eliminates drone at highway speeds when the DOD is active.

birdmang8
08-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Solo cat back systems have had good feedback. Cant personally say for myself but am wanting to pursue them in the future. Solo mach balanced seems to be the way to go for the most aggressive noise. If you don't plan on building the engine much their solo mach shorty balanced system is the loudest with the solo mach balanced system being next. If you have future plans of headers and supercharging, they offer a good 3" system. Their site offers a lot of good info with sound clips.

Slizzo
08-02-2017, 12:28 PM
All exhausts sound like garbage when AFM is active. Do yourself a favor and tune it out.

Otherwise, yeah the Solo systems are great.

STL_G8GT
08-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Solos might be your best bet for loud and drone delete. You can add J-Tubes to any axleback however... look up BigReds post here for J-tube information.

Chewy
08-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Yep, SOLO is LOUD AS F! Not a fan, but they're loud!

Codhiggity
08-03-2017, 07:24 AM
I was looking at the Solo Catbacks. Sounds like there's a pretty good consensus across the board. Also heard that J pipes could help with droning

Codhiggity
08-03-2017, 07:26 AM
All exhausts sound like garbage when AFM is active. Do yourself a favor and tune it out.

Otherwise, yeah the Solo systems are great.

I've heard about these AFM deletes and tunes. Aren't they super expensive? I'm kind of balling on a budget atm

birdmang8
08-03-2017, 08:17 AM
A true DOD delete will run you in the ballpark of $1,000 but you can get a Superchips handheld tuner for $250-$400 new which can turn off the AFM. This will keep all 8 cylinders running all the time, but you still maintain the weak internals that operate the DOD which are prone to failure.

JimmyJazz
08-03-2017, 08:57 AM
IMO, nothing is going to be that loud with the stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats. With the stock stuff, it may be a little louder but it really is relatively quiet.

Codhiggity
08-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Ok so long term the best option is definitely a complete AFM delete. Looks like a solo cat back would be a good place to start, what is the difference between balanced and unbalanced?

birdmang8
08-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Balanced has a connecting tube after cats, before mid mufflers to create an h-pipe or "balanced" exhaust system. Unbalanced maintains full dual exhaust front to rear.

GXPaycheck
08-04-2017, 05:41 AM
There are two types of drone. The 1800 rpm one can be fixed with j-pipes, some folks have had good results with Corsa.
The other drone is the AFM changeover and that can only be fixed by turning it off. Only 1.5 mpg loss if you do.
Hope this helps.