PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the G8?

travis gore
07-13-2017, 04:13 AM
I have found conflicting info on the capacity.
GM says 2,000 lbs
Holden says 4,000 lbs

I am looking at towing 1,500 lbs
The trailer is 1,046 lbs and figuring 300-400lbs of gear.

My concerns
I would need to be in manual mode using 5 th?
I would need rear coil over shocks?
How would the stall converter like it? They pull trailers during drag week!

Has anyone used the G8 for towing?

Here is what I am looking to tow
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170713/ceefbbadd2147d6da3ea15ae2fbf0535.jpg
My wife and I are going to try camping. Arizona has so many state and federal parks here,it is absolutely beautiful. Now I have my reservations about this. We usually only camp at the Holiday Inn.

I have found a couple of places in Phoenix that rent this pretty reasonable. My plan is to rent one a couple of times to see how it goes.
This is what I really want to do,however I will take baby steps toward this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170713/7d7a7f61266a3f2e1d03e26306860382.jpg
I only planning using the G8 a few times to pull this trailer. While I want to buy a Jeep I am not ready to drain the savings or take on another car payment right now.

I may regret this but, thoughts on my plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STL_G8GT
07-13-2017, 05:48 AM
My folks talked about one of those for a while, because they do travel quite a lot. They do the B&B thing, and largely avoid chain hotels. They went down and looked at one and that was enough... they're back to B&Bs. It was wise to take the time and give it a trial run before diving in.

Me personally, once the kiddos are out and on their own, I think it would be really really cool to try out. Something to get you away from home and out of the ordinary - explore and teach your mind new things. It would really force you out of your comfort zone, and that would be pretty cool to me.

Good luck to you two. If you make it up this way, it's beautiful country, and we even have warm beds to sleep in!!

Chewy
07-13-2017, 09:41 AM
All I know is Paul always talked about how much better the Holden hitch was than the one found here in the U.S. He said it was rated for more weight. The stall and high trans temps is what I'd worry about.

BuildItYourSelf
07-13-2017, 04:25 PM
The driveline will have no problem. The hitch is the weak link.
I knew a dude who pulled a 30 foot camper with a ford torus hundreds of miles many times a year for years in pa up and down hills. Nothing broke. Just lots of front break rotors. Haha

GXP-G8
07-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Just gotta get the class III hitch from Australia !
Class I sold in USA, 1 1/4" receiver.....2,000lbs
Class III sold in AUS 2" receiver.....4500lbs

I tow the little G, 3,000lbs, on a dolly, see below, and no issue at all.
I have the trans cooler on the GXP, so I'd do that at least.

travis gore
07-13-2017, 07:38 PM
All I know is Paul always talked about how much better the Holden hitch was than the one found here in the U.S. He said it was rated for more weight. The stall and high trans temps is what I'd worry about.

I have a large trans cooler already. Yeah it looks like I would need to import the hitch.

travis gore
07-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Just gotta get the class III hitch from Australia !
Class I sold in USA, 1 1/4" receiver.....2,000lbs
Class III sold in AUS 2" receiver.....4500lbs

I tow the little G, 3,000lbs, on a dolly, see below, and no issue at all.
I have the trans cooler on the GXP, so I'd do that at least.

Thanks. The trans cooler I have is bigger than the GXP. Did you change the shocks?

GXP-G8
07-14-2017, 03:00 AM
Running stock shocks and springs.
I tow in sport mode.

travis gore
07-15-2017, 04:20 AM
Running stock shocks and springs.
I tow in sport mode.

Any photos?

GXP-G8
07-15-2017, 09:31 AM

GXP-G8
07-15-2017, 09:36 AM
http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27768&stc=1&d=1500140024

travis gore
07-16-2017, 01:59 PM
thanks

eljohnino
11-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Dont forget about the tires...you could easily exceed the load capacity of your tires and have a very bad day.

TurboMike
11-15-2017, 09:51 AM
I have the class3 hitch from Australia. You can tow a LOT with this hitch. Tubular steel slides into your frame rails and bolts right in. I tow my motorcycle trailer and a 2k lb popup camper all the time. Its like its not even there. I once towed a 3k lb car on a 1k lb uhaul flatbed but only a few miles on local streets. That was ok for such a short trip since I had limited choices for that tow, but it was too much.

IMO your transmission/cooling/tires/etc rest of car is more than up to the task for towing heavy up to 3k lbs (in Australia you can get a class 5 5k lb hitch for the same car). Where the car is weak is the rear springs. They sag and you need a well balanced load. If what your towing will put a lot of weight down on the car (tongue weight) it will sag and you cant tow much because it will lighten the front of the car. You dont want your front tires losing weight, because you lose the same amount of steering/braking in an emergency. If what you're towing is heavy but balanced so the tongue weight is minimal the car is balanced fine and can easily handle the push and pull weight.

Again, this is with the class 3 Holden hitch. The reason I got it was everything sold here is a 1k lb "under the rear bumper" hitch that bolts to the bottom of the frame. i dont have any experience with the small hitch, but I can say the car can tow a lot just fine.

BamaZ28
11-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Something to get you away from home and out of the ordinary - explore and teach your mind new things. It would really force you out of your comfort zone, and that would be pretty cool to me.

THIS!!!! Expand your mind :) Following to see how this goes. Good Luck!