PDA

View Full Version : K&N drop in worth it???

uh6tdrvr
03-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I just replaced the blanket of an airfilter in my 09 CC with a K&N drop in and it made a noticible difference in it. Has anyone done this in the G8 and noticed any gains?

GRRRR8
03-14-2009, 07:55 PM
The box in the CC is a higher flowing design then the G8. if you cut the bottom off the factory box and have the lower panel with a drop in, I would guess 10-12 only because the IATs would drop helping you keep a degree or 2 of timing.

Mike@NewEra
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
It has done nothing on the dyno for power, but I guess if you are looking for a lifetime filter it is worth it. The stock filter really isn't too restrictive, it is everything around it that is.

Mike P
03-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I just replaced the blanket of an airfilter in my 09 CC with a K&N drop in and it made a noticible difference in it. Has anyone done this in the G8 and noticed any gains?

Dude, if your on this board, you might as well get an OTR CAI & Tune.....

:)

BigRob
03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
or Volant!!

Mike P
03-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I forgot about Vararam too.....

MtbDoc
03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I have been contemplating simply adding this, as well as cutting out the bottom of the box. You see, the Maggie comes with a large gauge intake pipe that connects to the stock airbox. That big pipe is half the battle to avoid pressure drop (inlet side of the blower). It would seem that SHOULD be enough; what add'l benefit would something like the RotoFab have with the Maggie (compared to improving flow INTO the stock box)???

Thoughts, gentlemen?

IXLR8
03-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Google it.

Early on someone dynoed a K&N drop in vs stock in a G8. There was not any gain. I was surprised because K&N's reputation on many other cars is pretty good. The stock air filter is as good as it gets, unless you go to a CAI.

Pick your system, there is a lot of info on here. But the stock filter is a damn good element. Unless you change more than that, you will not see any gain.

If you want to see a low cost/big gain, try the HSRK from Vector. It made a heck of difference in the hot Houston days. It is a minimally intrusive installation, that just plugs in.

R.Penguin
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Yep. No gain. Gave it away.

'02 ws6
03-16-2009, 06:23 AM
No gains, but creatures of habit, like myself, keep buying them just because it's all I've ever ran on my cars, just like mobil 1 :)
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104