PDA

View Full Version : coolant drain and refill

Rubberman
05-26-2017, 07:46 AM
i need to drain the coolant and add new fresh stuff. Is there a drain valve? is so where? is there a air bleed valve to get the air out?

GXPaycheck
05-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Just had his done yesterday. $95 and I didn't have to find a place to dump the fluid.

Chewy
05-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Drain valve is on the bottom, you can't miss it. The system should automatically burp itself. I'm getting close to needing to do this too. My brakes are in DIRE need of it though. Now that I have a hoist, I think more will get done.

JAM
05-27-2017, 05:58 AM
Just did this on my GT. Blue drain plug is indented almost midway on the passenger side under front of car.

I used a six sided socket to remove it rather than a phillips screw driver, then removed radiator cap to drain it. Replaced drain plug, added 1 quart distilled water leaving radiator level low so it would empty the overflow tank, replaced cap and turned heater up to maximum as I ran the engine for 10 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.

After it cooled I replaced the overflow tube from the radiator with a rubber hose running to my drain pan. I then filled the radiator with distilled water and had to repeat the draining process a total of 5 times (except I only ran the engine for 5 minutes after reaching operating temperature) before the radiator drained clear distilled water. I then filled the radiator with concentrated DexCool, replaced the overflow tube, and ran a few errands before topping it off.

Coolant capacity is listed as 11.6 quarts, I used just short of 6 quarts of concentrated DexCool resulting in about a 55/45 mix.

JAM

TonyKarter
05-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Now that I have a hoist, My mouth cannot form these words. I am about to do mine too. Laying on the floor, probably in puddles of coolant if history repeats itself.

Jam, How many gallons of distilled water did you use?

JAM
05-29-2017, 05:16 AM
Used 7 gallons of distilled water.

JAM

TonyKarter
05-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Thanks.

RichsGreyGT
05-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Coolant is the nastiest of all the auto fluids...

Every time I touch the coolant system, I get belt squeak for a month too.

Bob N
09-13-2018, 01:17 PM
I was about to drain and flush my GT, when I attempted to remove the blue drain plug, it snapped in half. Now not only do I have to try to remove it without seeing any feasible way. I thought about attempting to use an "easy out" or just drill it out. But I'm having a problem locating another plug? I've searched everywhere trying to locate one. GM Parts Direct, Rock Auto, eBay, etc. Can't find one anywhere. Any advice out there?

Glandon
03-07-2021, 08:02 AM
I've read on some forums that is very important to refill your coolant system. Also, I think that is very important to use a high-quality product. In this way, you will reduce the chances of crashing your coolant system. For example, I use only the coolant from http://www.cararac.com (https://cararac.com/coolant/). A lot of friends suggested them. Also, my repairman told me to use it. I am very pleased with their product. Never had any problems with it. My friends have the same opinion. Anyway, I think that is very important to use only high-quality consumables for your car.