PDA

View Full Version : painting holden v8 6.0 litre badges

g8torade
03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/ExteriorAccessories/V8_badge-h.jpg

i got these badges from jhp awhile back and have been contemplating painting them black. i was just looking for help/suggestions on the best way of going about doing this. if you notice the '6.0 litre' beneath the v8 is black and so i was going to maybe try to get that part silver to stick out a little. i appreciate any and all feedback.

AlliG8r
03-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Why dont you ask the people you bought them from ?\

:uhm:

g8torade
03-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Why dont you ask the people you bought them from ?\

:uhm:

why would the guys who supply these holden (GM) parts know how to paint them? i'm sure if they knew they'd sell 'em like that. besides i could have sworn this is a public forum with G8 enthusiasts from all over the world with different experiences and levels of knowledge where i thought i'd ask a question about something i've never dealt with before. so again, if there's anyone out there that might be able to help me out, i appreciate it. that is, if it's okay with AlliG8r.

GRRRR8
03-14-2009, 09:01 PM
LOL! All questions are welcome.....ALWAYS. Do you want just the V8 in black and leave the rest alone?

g8torade
03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
LOL! All questions are welcome.....ALWAYS. Do you want just the V8 in black and leave the rest alone?

if it wasn't for places like this, i wouldn't know what to do with all my questions or i'd end up coughing up some dough to get my answers. plus, with this i just didn't want to ruin a nice set of badges with my limited decal painting skills.

anyway, i actually wanted everything but the "6.0 litre" black. i figured i'd try and get the "6.0 litre" silver.

-Ray-
03-15-2009, 03:38 AM
I had the badges on my G8 painted black. There is a thread on here on how to do the grill surrounds that are chrome. Same advice in that thread applies here.
You need some adhesion promoter and some paint.

GRRRR8
03-15-2009, 06:11 AM
When I have seen this done on emblems, they paint the whole thing black and then with an artist brush they do the lettering and clear coat the emblem after for durability.

-Ray-
03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
When I have seen this done on emblems, they paint the whole thing black and then with an artist brush they do the lettering and clear coat the emblem after for durability.

They make a pen that you can use to keep paint from sticking in the low area I believe. I saw it done somewhere.

IcePickFreak
03-15-2009, 05:29 PM
They make a pen that you can use to keep paint from sticking in the low area I believe. I saw it done somewhere.

If that's what your after, you can just use vaseline - just wipe off the excess of the high area and then wipe down with a towel with some thinner on it. We used that method quite often doing the odd custom projects for people when I worked in autobody. The issue here is he basically wants to reverse the colors, so both have to be painted.

Should be able to sand the emblems down and burn thru the chrome over the plastic. Then pick up some Krylon Fusion and spray away. Up to you if you want to paint it all black and then go back and hand paint the letters, or paint it silver first, then fill in the lettering once dry and spray on the black.

g8torade
03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I had the badges on my G8 painted black. There is a thread on here on how to do the grill surrounds that are chrome. Same advice in that thread applies here.
You need some adhesion promoter and some paint.

i checked out the thread and found some helpful advice. and i saw your work, and am even more inspired now. looks good. i'll try to get this done this week.

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 03:50 AM
If that's what your after, you can just use vaseline - just wipe off the excess of the high area and then wipe down with a towel with some thinner on it. We used that method quite often doing the odd custom projects for people when I worked in autobody. The issue here is he basically wants to reverse the colors, so both have to be painted.

Should be able to sand the emblems down and burn thru the chrome over the plastic. Then pick up some Krylon Fusion and spray away. Up to you if you want to paint it all black and then go back and hand paint the letters, or paint it silver first, then fill in the lettering once dry and spray on the black.

I had intended to post that, but back spaced to prevent unwanted comments. You know how some guys are. You don't need to burn through the chrome, it can be painted over with the correct adhesion.