PDA

View Full Version : nitrous pressure regulation?

rumbler
03-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Anyone have experience using a nitrous(not fuel) pressure regulator? They're using them on bikes and snowmobiles(?!?!) but are being tried out with cars. I'd love to get KBX's stealth wet install with one of these. Waddya think Robert?

http://www.psi-pro.com/Ford_Mustang/24454_eprint.pdf

It seems like a win/win.
I'd like to set mine as low as practical(600psi?) and up the jet size to get in100-150 hp range. I'd get more runs per bottle, less load(pressure) on lines and solenoids, more consistency, and less hassles(bottle warmup/cooldown etc). Except for the regulator failing I don't see a downside.

Rumbler

'02 ws6
03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
I'd never spray with pressure that low, my lowest point would be 900psi w/ optimal being 1100psi. I'm more of a conventional bottle warmer person myself instead of using regulators. Just heat it up to my desired psi and either the internal thermo I have will kill it or I'll turn it off myself.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone have experience using a nitrous(not fuel) pressure regulator? They're using them on bikes and snowmobiles(?!?!) but are being tried out with cars. I'd love to get KBX's stealth wet install with one of these. Waddya think Robert?

http://www.psi-pro.com/Ford_Mustang/24454_eprint.pdf

It seems like a win/win.
I'd like to set mine as low as practical(600psi?) and up the jet size to get in100-150 hp range. I'd get more runs per bottle, less load(pressure) on lines and solenoids, more consistency, and less hassles(bottle warmup/cooldown etc). Except for the regulator failing I don't see a downside.

Rumbler

I wouldn't use that. Seems more like a fancy bleed valve than anything. IF I were you I would go with an automatic bottle warmer. Install the included Hobbs adjustable pressure switch into the side of the bottle valve so that it senses the bottle pressure at all times when bottle is closed or open. Then wire it up and install a master on switch if you want. Then just adjust the bottle pressure up or down with the pressure switch adjustment screw. Once you have the heater adjusted so that it turns off at your desired bottle pressure it is all simple after that. When you are rolling around town or at the track and feel like you might end up playing with the nitrous then just flip the master arm switch to turn the heater on which will automatically bring your bottle pressure to the correct psi.

Purging is also not so much the use of bringing bottle pressure down to proper psi. I don't know why the heck they even mentioned that BS in that article. Almost always you will have to bring the bottle pressure up, not down, unless you are an idiot and leave it sitting in the sunlight for a long time. Also bottle pressure drops after a 1/4 mile run so it is not like you would have overpressure problems and have to purge because of that. Purging is primarily used to ensure that you have liquid nitrous all the way to the solenoids. This is because when you let the nitrous sit in the line it tends to want to warm up and boil or flash over to gaseous state which means a less dense nitrous mixture hitting the intake manifold when you first start spraying. This turns into less power on initial hit, which some desire while others don't.

You would also not get more runs per bottle either. If you are running a given shot size then it will require a given amount of nitrous delivered to the engine to accomplish that. Whether that is via lower pressure but bigger nitrous jet or higher pressure with smaller nitrous jet it all equals out more or less. It's all about total mass of nitrous injected. Of course the disadvantage to lower pressure nitrous, especially in wet systems, is that it is less able to assist in the atomization of the fuel charge coming in through the wet nozzle too. It is a good thing for the nitrous to be contacting that fuel with as much velocity as reasonably possible.

Overall it is my opinion that the mag's were just trying to oversell another new item; and seemed to attempt to use some BS to do it at times. I am not saying that the pressure adjuster valve would not have its uses, but they aren't as numerous nor for some of the reasons stated in the article.

rumbler
03-20-2009, 01:33 AM
thanks for the info, it sounded like a real good idea. Kinda like dem timeshares in arizona. I guess the "problems" with conventional nitrous installs were exaggerated to sell the product. I still want a nitroused gxp tho, if only I could get a bailout.
G8 gxp+desired mods>budget

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-20-2009, 09:21 PM
thanks for the info, it sounded like a real good idea. Kinda like dem timeshares in arizona. I guess the "problems" with conventional nitrous installs were exaggerated to sell the product. I still want a nitroused gxp tho, if only I could get a bailout.
G8 gxp+desired mods>budget

I might be doing the TT on my personal G8 sooner than originally anticipated. If that is the case then I may put the nitrous system I made for it, as a full package, up for sale.