PDA

View Full Version : Xylene?? Fuel additive?

zosoboogie
03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
so my installers mention if I were to do a track day with my supercharged G8 then they told me I were to run it hard that I should add Xylene into the tank if I can't get race gas.
However if race gas is available then what octane should i get?

Greg@PacePerformance
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Get the highest unleaded they offer.
Sunoco makes 100 and 104
VP makes an unleaded 109 also.

-Greg

MANOFSTEEL69
03-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Now, the question is....How will the 104 octane effect those of us that are tuned for 93 and not supercharged (yet ;) )? Any gain, or don't bother?

GNSS
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken the higher octane fuels burn different and if your engine is not timed for it it might slow it down. I'm going by memory from running my turbo buick so maybe naturally asperated might not apply here.

Jeff

Devilish34
03-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Now, the question is....How will the 104 octane effect those of us that are tuned for 93 and not supercharged (yet ;) )? Any gain, or don't bother?

It will eat a larger hole in you wallet faster. $8+ a gallon around here. I almost got some until I saw the price.

parish8
03-13-2009, 11:02 PM
i used to run xylene in my truck back when i had a whipple. it was a non intercooled set up. 6psi was the most i could go without the xylene. with it at 30% i had it up to 9psi and there was no knock at that point. after about 50 gallons of the stuff it did kill my 02's and i did not have cats so i dont know what it might have done to those.

i would try and stick with the unleaded race gas. better yet is dump your cats and run leaded fuel. cheaper and better.

any fuel change has the potential to change your tune. some fuel is more dense than pump gas and you will go a little rich. some is oxygenated and you could go way lean. best to keep an eye on your wideband/knock sensors after a fuel change to see if you need to adjust the tune.

bigwillys58
03-14-2009, 04:37 PM

if your tuned to 93 its kind of a dont bother situation unless you got crazy high compression or FI. the higher octane "resists heat" so to speak and allows you to run more compression with out pre detonation or "spark knock" as its most commonly referred to. we ran vp C14 (i believe it was right around 110) in our prostock ski doo due to the 14.8:1 compression. im far from an expert at this stuff... just goin off how it was explained to me

bigwillys58
03-14-2009, 04:40 PM
i used to run xylene in my truck back when i had a whipple. it was a non intercooled set up. 6psi was the most i could go without the xylene. with it at 30% i had it up to 9psi and there was no knock at that point. after about 50 gallons of the stuff it did kill my 02's and i did not have cats so i dont know what it might have done to those.

i would try and stick with the unleaded race gas. better yet is dump your cats and run leaded fuel. cheaper and better.

any fuel change has the potential to change your tune. some fuel is more dense than pump gas and you will go a little rich. some is oxygenated and you could go way lean. best to keep an eye on your wideband/knock sensors after a fuel change to see if you need to adjust the tune.

arent you the guy with the turboed newer chevy truck that hauls ass? if so that is a sick truck man!!

zosoboogie
03-15-2009, 04:58 PM
if your tuned to 93 its kind of a dont bother situation unless you got crazy high compression or FI. the higher octane "resists heat" so to speak and allows you to run more compression with out pre detonation or "spark knock" as its most commonly referred to. we ran vp C14 (i believe it was right around 110) in our prostock ski doo due to the 14.8:1 compression. im far from an expert at this stuff... just goin off how it was explained to me

is all that ish with a supercharged engine producing 500hp at the wheel??

bigwillys58
03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
if your tuned to 93 its kind of a dont bother situation unless you got crazy high compression or FI...

is all that ish with a supercharged engine producing 500hp at the wheel??

FI equals forced induction. your supercharged so you will benifit

13 QTR
03-17-2009, 06:07 AM
It will eat a larger hole in you wallet faster. $8+ a gallon around here. I almost got some until I saw the price.

Damn....I pay $6.50 a gallon for the 109octane here. I just like putting a gallon of it in on a full tank. It smells good.

Devilish34
05-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Damn....I pay $6.50 a gallon for the 109octane here. I just like putting a gallon of it in on a full tank. It smells good.

$8.49 to be exact I remember when it was $4ish

netmand
05-30-2009, 05:37 AM
so my installers mention if I were to do a track day with my supercharged G8 then they told me I were to run it hard that I should add Xylene into the tank if I can't get race gas.
However if race gas is available then what octane should i get?

A higher octane will help protect against any potential denotation with forced induction during race conditions.

Back in my Evo8 days I created a calculator and reference web page for those that wanted to mix Xylene or Toluene into their gas... It's like 6 years old but hopefully it'll be useful for you all here:
http://www.serioussolutions.com/evo/octcalc.htm