PDA

View Full Version : Major Chip/Gash on front end

DQGTO
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Firstly I am sorry if this is posted elsewhere on here, I looked and really wanted to do a specific thread for this. If you feel that the answer is on here can someone please link me to the thread? Thanks in advance...anyway:

My dad just informed me that he found a substantial gouge on the lower-most part of the front bumper...I will post pics tomorrow at some point or Saturday the latest. Anyway.. the gouge is about .5 inch long , width of a roofing nail (dk why that is my point of reference) and took a good bit out of the bumper...id say it is pretty deep, so deep that there is black material showing (possibly the bumper, front fascia material) I know this is tough to imagine without pics but I wanted to post it to see if someone just knows what I mean and can give me a quick answer.

Anyway,

What is the best way to repair this without getting crazy (taking off bumper, body filler, respray)...Did anyone have this happen yet? If so how was it fixed?

I am thinking take a round tiny file and remove any hanging material and rough up the problem area then fill in the gouge with a little bit of filler (plastic filler maybe? Body filler? IDK) and then let that set and lightly sand over then use touch-up paint to finish. (Ignition Orange Metallic).

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

We think it happened at the car wash when it was going onto the tracks, possibly a bolt head sticking up or a tab. Car wash is one of the best around too..or it was from some unknown other source.

Thank you again

Don

SLVRG8GT
03-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Need to get a better idea with a picture of the scratch (gouge). You have a number of options out there. Post them as soon as you get a chance. :D

DQGTO
03-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Here are the pictures of the damage. Any advice/solutions would be very much appreciated.

-Ray-
03-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Ouch! My cover repaint was a little over $500.

SLVRG8GT
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey Dan, Its not as bad as it looks. In the pictures is the area of the car clean? Or are all those little chip/pit marks surronding the gouge? In any case, I would remove the excess with a file and clean it well. You need a good filler that adheres to plastic. Here's a decent article explaining the process. The article describes a more more severly damaged bumper but you'll get the general idea. http://www.autobodysupply.net/articles.asp?id=135

After cleaning, filling, primeing, and sanding you'll need to get a can of matching paint. The paint code is WA342N (77) Ignition Metallic (Orange). Paintscratch has an article on preping and applying the paint as well, http://www.paintscratch.com/automotive-paint-tips.htm They sell an arasol can (12.5oz) for 25 bucks which should be enough for the area effected. Here's a promotional code (26AUI4@1) the will get you a whole 2.50 off (Better than nothing) :D After drying thoroughly you should apply a clearcoat as well which you can buy from them or any autoparts store.

Be happy that its in a inconspicuous locaton as well. Done properlly you'll never even know it was there.

Good luck! :D

DQGTO
03-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Dan, Its not as bad as it looks. In the pictures is the area of the car clean? Or are all those little chip/pit marks surronding the gouge? In any case, I would remove the excess with a file and clean it well. You need a good filler that adheres to plastic. Here's a decent article explaining the process. The article describes a more more severly damaged bumper but you'll get the general idea. http://www.autobodysupply.net/articles.asp?id=135

After cleaning, filling, primeing, and sanding you'll need to get a can of matching paint. The paint code is WA342N (77) Ignition Metallic (Orange). Paintscratch has an article on preping and applying the paint as well, http://www.paintscratch.com/automotive-paint-tips.htm They sell an arasol can (12.5oz) for 25 bucks which should be enough for the area effected. Here's a promotional code (26AUI4@1) the will get you a whole 2.50 off (Better than nothing) :D After drying thoroughly you should apply a clearcoat as well which you can buy from them or any autoparts store.

Be happy that its in a inconspicuous locaton as well. Done properlly you'll never even know it was there.

Good luck! :D

Well thank you very much for the detailed post and the detailed information with sources! The car was kind of dirty then so those surrounding marks are just grime. The main two areas highlighted in the pictures are the problem areas. I will certainly go that route in fixing this problem, it looks to be the best way without a serious respray. Thanks again!

SLVRG8GT
03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Well thank you very much for the detailed post and the detailed information with sources! The car was kind of dirty then so those surrounding marks are just grime. The main two areas highlighted in the pictures are the problem areas. I will certainly go that route in fixing this problem, it looks to be the best way without a serious respray. Thanks again!

Sure thing :D Have any other questions just ask. :brock:

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I got my G8 back from the dealership body shop. After some discussion on my part, the bill was reduced from $584 to $307. I have to admit the cashier was willing to help. :)

Saginaw748
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
This is an awesome post, good information shared - thank you!

I have a gouge in the middle of my front bumper too, just slightly smaller than yours. Ironically mine is also Ignition Orange (do you have a load of chips too?).

I also have a few chips on my fender flares (front of them) and on the hood. This post will help me get the cajones to try to do it myself!

And to think I was just going to get a GXP front, and switch off to the old one in the winter.....

SLVRG8GT
03-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Glad you found it helpful. Good luck! :D

DQGTO
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
This is an awesome post, good information shared - thank you!

I have a gouge in the middle of my front bumper too, just slightly smaller than yours. Ironically mine is also Ignition Orange (do you have a load of chips too?).

I also have a few chips on my fender flares (front of them) and on the hood. This post will help me get the cajones to try to do it myself!

And to think I was just going to get a GXP front, and switch off to the old one in the winter.....

Yeah we have a decent amount of chips as well. I hear talk that the paint is pretty thin in those areas of our car...plus you really notice it somehow with the orange...great color though