PDA

View Full Version : GXP Strut Kit

Greg@PacePerformance
08-26-2016, 07:30 AM
If anyone is on the fence about picking up the GXP FE3 strut kit, you had better jump now.
We purchased GM's last remaining stock and only have 5 full kits available.

Once these are gone there will not be anymore available.
PAC-92227682
http://paceperformance.com/i-8118501-gmp-92227682-pontiac-g8-gxp-fe3-strut-package.html

-Greg

STL_G8GT
08-26-2016, 07:36 AM
If anyone is on the fence about picking up the GXP FE3 strut kit, you had better jump now.
We purchased GM's last remaining stock and only have 5 full kits available.

Once these are gone there will not be anymore available.
PAC-92227682
http://paceperformance.com/i-8118501-gmp-92227682-pontiac-g8-gxp-fe3-strut-package.html

-Greg
Thanks for the heads up. That's crazy to think about.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

cstmg8
08-26-2016, 08:11 AM
So what will the options be? I don't recall a direct fit aftermarket option?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

roman1978
08-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Caprice Struts

Chewy
08-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Monroe makes a gas charged strut for them as well.

BarnesGN
08-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks for getting me my set last week. The install went smooth and the struts are as advertised...much better than stock!

GXPaycheck
08-28-2016, 04:22 AM
I assume the new Pedders USA will have struts.

Chewy
08-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Are they trying again? Hopefully the people running it aren't the same!

Sent from the internet using Borg technology.

Executor999
08-28-2016, 06:41 AM

Wow, I had no idea they are available again in the US.
http://www.pedders.com/make-and-model/pontiac/g8.html

I'm sad to learn that more GM parts are being discontinued.

Kermit
08-28-2016, 01:34 PM

Surprising to see them back. NICE. Sad that I paid more for my brand new kit when they first came out compared to now. Funny how life rolls along.

donkeyGT
08-31-2016, 07:39 AM
You have a PM sir.

Greg@PacePerformance
08-31-2016, 08:17 AM
3 kits left currently

RWD-V8
08-31-2016, 05:08 PM
2 now.... Going to freshen up my GXP suspension staying stock for day to day driving.

donkeyGT
09-06-2016, 08:53 AM
You have another PM..

donkeyGT
09-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Got your email Greg thanks..didn't pull the trigger quick enough.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone!
I tried to source a few extra from other dealers that listed them the other day, but they are now all gone.

Front struts are still available for now, but the rear shocks have been discontinued.

MIEngineer
09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I tried to pull in others for my friends car as well, no dice

pokey
09-06-2016, 06:04 PM
It is Tough.. we are pushed to purchase parts we might not be ready for. Didn't think we would have this issue when I purchased 7 years ago. Seems rather early to have parts disappear.

MIEngineer
09-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Still have options.

TonyKarter
09-07-2016, 01:20 PM
If I have options I'd sure like to know all of them.

jcmGT
09-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I seem to recall, the acdelco PN for the rear shock was 92269786. If this indeed the correct PN, amazon has 10 in stock

pokey
09-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Still have options.

I suppose.. every year I get older I get closer to the FE1: "soft ride"! :)

MIEngineer
09-08-2016, 06:18 AM
I suppose.. every year I get older I get closer to the FE1: "soft ride"! :)

After driving my SS [once in a blue moon]...the G8 feels a bit more...jesus, I am turning into an old man and I'm not 35 yet [for a few more days] :)

pokey
09-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Wait till you get to mid 40's.. I was only 1/2 joking. I was thinking the other day the G8 was getting a little rough on bumps. Saw my first SS in the wild today, a white one. Looked damn nice.. made me think for a second.

donkeyGT
09-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Just checked with a couple local dealers..just to see if they misplaced or found a set. They both said #92227682 does not exist and there is no such thing as a "kit". :uhm:

RacerxG8
09-21-2016, 09:35 AM
This is what GMPartsdirect says:

Home Search Results For “92227682”
1 Results For “92227682”
Refine Results
Shock Absorber
Shock Absorber
Part Number : 92269786
Discontinued Part
No Longer Available For Purchase
Replaces 92227682

Pontiac:
G8

Markmsf3
09-21-2016, 09:39 AM
Just checked with a couple local dealers..just to see if they misplaced or found a set. They both said #92227682 does not exist and there is no such thing as a "kit". :uhm:
I just looked and it appears you can still get FE3's from discountoeparts.com. They're about $103 a piece for the struts and a little cheaper for the shocks. PPV's and Monroe severe duty are cheaper on Amazon. The 'kits' were just complete sets put together by venders.

MIEngineer
09-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Shocks are NLA under the original FE3 part #. Discontinued

TonyKarter
09-22-2016, 04:15 AM
After initially purchasing the PPV's I changed my mind and went with Monroe Gas Magnums from rockauto.com. I am returning the PPV's previously bought on Amazon due to the Monroe's having the lifetime wear-out warranty.

Side by side, they appear and measured to be exactly the same and both rears are stamped "Made in Australia" in the very same place. Trace evidence produced from the automatic production process are the same on both. Welding is the same, bespeaking having been cycled through the same automated welding jigs. I held one in one hand, the other in the other hand. They are the exact same product.

As far as the inside parts differing on the two and one out-performing the other: In this day of constant and increasing pressure by upper management to be more efficient and profitable, and accounting's constant pressure to trim investment in and size of inventory on hand it is foolish to assume that Monroe would produce a different product for ACDelco/PPV/GM requiring investment in separate and unique parts. YOU KNOW GM pressured them for a least-cost solution and gave the contract to the lowest bidder. You don't win this contract by producing a one-off variant that increases your costs and bid price. You add that contract to an existing production run of Monroe struts/shocks to increase that volume and incrementally pencil-whip your existing production costs. Then you lay everybody off, and management gets bonuses. Result: same strut/shock. I may be wrong, but until Monroe chimes in with specifics...

Monroe gives theirs a lifetime wear-out warranty. ACDelco PPV does not. Thanks GM. You took a bail-out, but won't offer me one on the PPV's when they wear out? Monroe sweetens the pie further: Their struts come WITH the TTY strut mounting bolts and nuts, and both struts and shocks include the top shaft nut, resulting in further savings. PPVs do not include any additional hardware.

Lifetime wear-out warranty. Hardware. Same product. I don't give a rat's ass if it rides like a FE-2 or an FE-3. What matters most to me is that when these wear out they are going to send me another set, for free, WITH new mounting hardware, WITH a continuing lifetime wear-out warranty, and when those wear out they are going to send me another set, for free, and when...

It was a no-brainer for me.

Executor999
09-22-2016, 05:22 AM
After initially purchasing the PPV's I changed my mind and went with Monroe Gas Magnums from rockauto.com. I am returning the PPV's previously bought on Amazon due to the Monroe's having the lifetime wear-out warranty.

Side by side, they appear and measured to be exactly the same and both rears are stamped "Made in Australia" in the very same place. Trace evidence produced from the automatic production process are the same on both. Welding is the same, bespeaking having been cycled through the same automatic production welding jigs. I held one in one hand, the other in the other hand. They are the exact same product.

As far as the inside parts differing on the two and one out-performing the other: In this day of constant and increasing pressure by upper management to be more efficient and profitable, and accounting's constant pressure to trim investment in and size of inventory on hand it is foolish to assume that Monroe would produce a different product for ACDelco/PPV/GM requiring investment in separate and unique parts. YOU KNOW GM pressured them for a least-cost solution and gave the contract to the lowest bidder. You don't win this contract by increasing your costs and producing a one-off variant. Result: same strut/shock. I may be wrong, but until Monroe chimes in with specifics...

Monroe gives theirs a lifetime wear-out warranty. ACDelco PPV does not. Thanks GM. You took a bail-out, but won't offer me one on the PPV's when they wear out? Monroe sweetens the pie further: Their struts come WITH the TTY strut mounting bolts and nuts, and both struts and shocks include the top shaft nut, resulting in further savings. PPVs do not include any additional hardware.

Lifetime wear-out warranty. Hardware. Same product. I don't give a rat's ass if it rides like a FE-2 or an FE-3. What matters most to me is that when these wear out they are going to send me another set, for free, WITH new mounting hardware, WITH a continuing lifetime wear-out warranty, and when those wear out they are going to send me another set, for free, and when...

It was a no brainer for me.

Thanks for doing the elaborate research. After reading your posts here and the other board, I am considering the Monroe shocks over the stock PPV shocks, and use them with FE2 springs in order to return my car to stock height and soften up my suspension which is all poly when it comes to bushings.

WhatNext
09-22-2016, 05:30 AM
What matters most to me is that when these wear out they are going to send me another set, for free, WITH new mounting hardware, WITH a continuing lifetime wear-out warranty, and when those wear out they are going to send me another set, for free, and when...

Thanks for the "eyeballs on" comparison, makes me almost convinced they are the same as PPVs. I wonder what the process is for proving the gas magnums are worn out? The generic bounce test only shows when the dampers have essentially fallen off the car.

TonyKarter
09-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Good question! I'm planning on buying the replacement set, mounting them and then returning the old ones with:

1. Monroe dealers have a form that they fill out, a copy attached below. Monroe prefers the dealer list two reasons, choices are listed under Product Defect Key. Fill out the form for the dealer, list #13 Ride and #14 Customer Satisfaction.
2. My original purchase receipt
3. My replacement purchase receipt
4. Required box end flaps
5. Old Struts/shocks.

Monroe said that I could return them to ANY Monroe dealer who then can administrate the return and credit. I can buy them cheap on rockauto.com, but I can take the old ones and the items listed above to my local OReillys so I won't have to pay freight back to rockauto.com. Oreillys will send the paperwork to Monroe. Monroe will either credit my purchase to rockauto.com or send me a check.

I have similar lifetime warranties on shocks on a couple of my high mileage vehicles (289K miles C1500, 411K miles 4Runner). I have never had a problem taking them back and just putting them on the counter. They switch them out, no questions asked. I've never had a counter person challenge their condition, nor even pull/push on them to test them. It is no sweat off their back. They are probably trained, for goodwill purposes, to take them back no questions asked. After all, if a counter guy gave you shit about old shocks you spent an hour taking off your truck, would you continue to give them your auto parts business? Neither would I. They know that, and they know that it ain't their dog in this hunt, its Monroe's. I mean, who among us has the time to get to this job prematurely and take them off too soon! I know I don't. By the time I get around to doing it they are toast. Yes, some shocks have still been good, but most have been toast. Either condition I've always walked out with free replacements. (It is all a moot point though. Look closely at the form. Minimum requirements only require that: (1) you be the original purchaser, (2) you have the original receipt, and (3) you have a pulse.)

RacerxG8
09-22-2016, 08:02 AM
The GXP kit I bought a year or so ago from GMPartsDirect.com, the front struts were/are stamped MONROE.
So I am inclined to agree with TonyKarter on this.