PDA

View Full Version : Full-size spare--Any effects on performance?

bowtiefan
03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Okay, I got a full-size spare and a V6 jack kit for my GT. Together, they weigh about 60lbs. What are your thoughts on the effect, if any, this extra weight may have on the car's performance/handling versus the minimal weight compressor and foam holder that comes with the car?

I like the idea of a spare for a "just in case" scenario, but now am thinking of keeping the spare and kit in the car only on longer ventures.

Any basis for my concern?

-Ray-
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Just take it out when you race it.
That much weight won't hurt your handling.

Moved to G8 forum

GeorgeInNePa
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
In general, 100lbs. = 1 tenth of a second.

100lbs=.1sec

MANOFSTEEL69
03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Nominal....I've had 5 grown adults in the car and it hasn't missed a beat when I hit the throttle. :)

Top Speed
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't notice it all hauling ass back and forth to work. Triple digits twice a day!!!

R.Penguin
03-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Okay, I got a full-size spare and a V6 jack kit for my GT. Together, they weigh about 60lbs. What are your thoughts on the effect, if any, this extra weight may have on the car's performance/handling versus the minimal weight compressor and foam holder that comes with the car?

I like the idea of a spare for a "just in case" scenario, but now am thinking of keeping the spare and kit in the car only on longer ventures.

Any basis for my concern?
If you lose 60 lbs, it all evens out and if you don't starve to death in the process, your'e good to go. Now, If I could lose 60 lbs I'd prolly feel better and be able to wear my old clothes again. But that's a whole 'nother story.:p

bowtiefan
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
If you lose 60 lbs, it all evens out and if you don't starve to death in the process, your'e good to go. Now, If I could lose 60 lbs I'd prolly feel better and be able to wear my old clothes again. But that's a whole 'nother story.:p

Hey, I thought about that! I could stand to loose some weight, maybe not 60, but 50lbs outta do--LOL!

GRRRR8
03-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Penguins wear clothes..........yet another thing for my Penguin chronicles.

R.Penguin
03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Penguins wear clothes..........yet another thing for my Penguin chronicles.
LOL, Only tuxedos, of which I have an unlimited supply, as well as some body armor and a helmet from my old Unreal Tournament on-line gaming days. :nah:

Penguins are full of surprises. (Also bad gas from a steady diet of rotten fish. Sadly we seldom have any close friends, especially when indoors).:p

bwooten492
03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I have about 75lbs of speakers in my trunk and I can't tell a difference if they are in or out.

zosoboogie
03-12-2009, 04:42 AM
As soon as I added weight in my trunk I had no wheel hop issues

MtbDoc
03-18-2009, 05:04 AM
A full sized spare is needed to counterbalance the Maggie on the front of the car!