PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow axle backs

sstruck383
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I just purchased some axle backs for my G8 GT because I really wanted the Corsa system but at the same price as a long tube headers, I couldn't justify it right now.

So, anybody have these on their car? Any drone?

I'll probably replace the mid mufflers this summer with an X-pipe but just wanted to see who was running them and how do y'all like them.

ThugHunter
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Fedex is currently saying that mine are out for delivery. I'll install them as soon as they are delivered today. Give me a couple days to evaluate them and I'll post again. I purchased mine from Maryland Speed for $420 shipped.

Chewy
03-11-2009, 05:35 AM
You'll have some drone but not as bad as it would be without the resonators.

Blackdevil77
03-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I have them bolted on the Full ARH long tube header system, x-pipe, no resonators, the whole exhaust system. Sounds AWSOME!!! There IS a bit of drone but it doesn't bother me and it's below 2k rpm.

WhyteSS
03-11-2009, 06:15 AM
I'll probably go with these too. I prefer the quad tip look.

sstruck383
03-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I perfer the single tip exit but the wife likes the dual tip look so the duals will stay....mine should be here Friday....and I'll let y'all know as well.

I'm still doing testing on what gets her better mpg going to and from work....DOD or without DOD....the way she drives....its not enabled long if at all....lots of throttle movement. Of course, she could still be getting used to the 361 hp it has compared to the 160hp her V-6 had.

Some drone will be ok....just not a lot like a Flowmaster. Heck...the stockers have some right now through the vibration it gives off.

ThugHunter
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
OK.....Install was a breeze. Slight drizzle outside and I used my very steep driveway and nothing else. 15mm socket and extenstion was all that was needed and it literally took me 15 minutes to swap the OEM with the magnaflow.

First impression was idle. It is noticeable, but I believe this is how it should sound from the factory so it's not overwhelming by any means.

Test drive. I took a short 15 minute drive, which consisted of mostly 40mph zone but also included a one exit sprint on the interstate. There is definitely some drone over the stock exhaust, but it's not ridiculous. Turn your radio up and it's gone. Being that the exhaust is new, I'm sure the sound will change a bit after it breaks in. My Mustang with Pypes axleback was a lot louder. This exhaust is more mellow. I made a couple wide open bursts and the sound was nice, but once again not overwhelming. The Magnaflow 16883 kit is definitely something to consider for those G8 owners that want V8 sound, but do not want the obnoxious exhaust that wakes the neighbors when you turn the key.

Superchips is due to be delivered tomorrow. That's the one mod I really can't wait to get.

pkeplinger@unitedcommunit
03-11-2009, 05:15 PM
how did you come to decide against the Pypes G8 Exhaust?

Keep us posted on the SuperChips

ThugHunter
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
how did you come to decide against the Pypes G8 Exhaust?

Keep us posted on the SuperChips

I had Pypes axleback system on my Mustang. Short story: Sounded great, but the quality was the worst in the exhaust business.

BTW, I took my car for another spin tonight. I am liking the sound when in manumatic, but with DOD activated it doesn't sound near as good. Thankfully, I can deactivate the DOD when my Cortex gets here tomorrow.

pha|anx
03-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I have them bolted on the Full ARH long tube header system, x-pipe, no resonators, the whole exhaust system. Sounds AWSOME!!! There IS a bit of drone but it doesn't bother me and it's below 2k rpm.

dear GOD do you have any videos? I'd be very interested to know what this setup sounds like... lol

:D

Gearhead
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I have Magnaflow axle backs and I like them alot. Fairly quiet cruising and sounds good wide open.

Jim

09G8GT
03-14-2009, 11:24 PM
This exhaust is more mellow. I made a couple wide open bursts and the sound was nice, but once again not overwhelming. The Magnaflow 16883 kit is definitely something to consider for those G8 owners that want V8 sound, but do not want the obnoxious exhaust that wakes the neighbors when you turn the key.

+1. I just put these on today and this is definitely how the car should have come from the factory.

I ordered mine from Maryland Speed, since they seemed to have the best price. I ordered them on Tuesday afternoon and I received them Wednesday morning, so I would recommend purchasing from them if you haven't purchased anything already.