PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone purchase the overcoat and undercoat from the dealer?

MitsukiGT
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Hello everyone, I am new here and to new cars as well :) G8 GT is my first "new" car.

Please don't bash me for not searching, but I am not sure what to search for in this case.

I want to know if anyone purchased the protective coating for your paint and the underside from the dealership? I am not sure what they call it exactly, but was wondering if it is worth the money? Or is it more of a gimmick?

Thanks

GRRRR8
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I never have it done. For what they charge for the paint protectant I can buy a lot of professional grade waxes/cleaners. The undercoating if you are up north isnt a bad idea, but I hate that stuff being sprayed everywhere. A spray car wash a few times a month keeps the salt in check.

Welcome to the site!

MitsukiGT
03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I am right in the middle of the rustbelt :( I had a green car than looked white some days after a nice snowstorm and 70 mile trip to work (from salt not snow)!

I guess I'll go ahead and get that undercoating then. I plan to keep the car so I need to make sure it lasts me a long time.

p71
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
honestly you probably do not need either one on a modern car.... metallurgy and electronic coatings have come a long way from the neanderthal crap that they had in the 80s... of course it cannot hurt.

99-LS1-SS
03-11-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm in North Carolina and I did not buy it. I did what Charlie said, I purchase higher end cleaning and waxing supplies instead. I don't trust the dealership with the appearance of the car.

Chewy
03-11-2009, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't waste your money. The body shop I use says in most cases it worse than leaving it off. They clog drain holes or never really coat anything that needs it.

I use Adams products on the paint and keep the bottom clean with an under carriage spray every so often.

foreosu
03-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Hell no! One dealer I was looking at was marking up every G8 with a $3500 markup for that crap. And they wouldn't budge, even when I told them specifically that I had found an exact car at another dealership without that markup.

jnak
03-11-2009, 05:18 AM
I have the undercoating but not the paint protection.

But I wouldn't pay $3500 for it, that's for sure. I think it cost about $150 or $200.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-11-2009, 06:38 AM
I paid 600 for both and dealt with place directly. I had the diamond treatment on my durango that stayed out of the garage and after 5yrs the paint still looked like new.
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.109 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

ronbuick
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Undercoating not needed here in Boise, so did not buy it, in fact I do not even think that they even offer it here, cause I have bought several new cars and that question was not even asked, now being from Michigan originaly, well you know, I really feel sorry for you guys in the flippin rust belt and screwed up roads.

Ron

MitsukiGT
03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Undercoating not needed here in Boise, so did not buy it, in fact I do not even think that they even offer it here, cause I have bought several new cars and that question was not even asked, now being from Michigan originaly, well you know, I really feel sorry for you guys in the flippin rust belt and screwed up roads.

Ron

LOL, yeah I'm in MI:windy:

-Ray-
03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't have anything added to my G8. In some cases GM doesn't want additional undercoating added to the car.