PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure sensors AGAIN

piecesparts
03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
My Son and I are going to change the rims on his 07 Impala, this weekend. I realize that this sounds wierd for the G8 forum, but the principal is the same on all of these newer cars. I have read some input from many here with reference to running drag radials or different rims, with no sensors and some trying to move the sensors to the new rims. Do any of you individuals have a real issue with leaving the sensors out of a wheel and either living with the alarm light or maybe putting the sensors in a pressurized container in the trunk that will keep the computer happy. I have a PVC tube built with a valve stem on one end and a threaded cap on the other that I could throw ALL 4 sensors into and put 35 PSI on the tube. With it in the trunk, the computer should see it and not feel wierd. Any INPUT?????

EcoBrick Bob
03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Think you will have issues unless you can separate each tpms into its own air compartment, as when you program car for new tpms, you have to add or subtract air. Might work if they are all on same tube, but I doubt it. You're creative.... obviously... you should be able to come up with a tube with 4 compartments... with tpms separated!!!!

Go For IT!!!!

piecesparts
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Think you will have issues unless you can separate each tpms into its own air compartment, as when you program car for new tpms, you have to add or subtract air. Might work if they are all on same tube, but I doubt it. You're creative.... obviously... you should be able to come up with a tube with 4 compartments... with tpms separated!!!!

Go For IT!!!!

I don't see why they would have to be seperate. Each one should read 35 PSI and go on like they were on their own tire. My guess....

chiefpontiac
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
The car senses tghe sensors by location. They must be far apart enough for vehicle to determine which is which. If you use 4 containers and place one at each corner of trunk and two under the hood I suppose it might work. If you use a magic wand like the dealers do then it needs the 4 sensors to be in different locations, which still might work in the trunk but setting procedures mandate setting them one by one. Why not just lave them out, no change in vehicle operation. I keep asking for someone to determine which fuse number shuts the tpms system off - it has to be fused, even with something else. Just like shutting off DRL, pull the fuse. Or black electrical tape.

confused2much
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
He might have issues because when he programs them to the car each tpms has to be programmed individually so the car knows which one is where. That requires letting a little bit of air out of each one individually so the car can register it. But I do think that he might be able to skip that step if using sensors that are already programed with the car. That would skip the programming step completely and just read that all tires have whatever pressure you were to put in there. I am pretty sure that would work but they would have to be the sensors that are currently syncd with the car.

I have no sensors on my winter rims and the G8 only beeps at me initially when I start the car. There is a dash light too, but neither of these are annoying enough for me to put sensors in. Good luck, I think your idea will work.

-Ray-
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Each TPMS has it's own digital code. Once it's registered, it's well. registered. When one goes low and the alarm goes off, all you need to do is add air. It doesn't matter the location it's in.
They are wireless. Not positional.
I think it would take 4 tubes.

JimmyJazz
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Here's a DYI from my old "stomping ground." http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html

Paniller
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Here's a DYI from my old "stomping ground." http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html
lol, they even added in a bucket of rice! Yeah, that'd work.

mykal
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
On my C6 Corvette (traded for the G8), if the TPSs weren't flashed to the computer, you couldn't enter Competitive Driving Mode. Not sure if the traction control is affected by the TPSs in the G8s, but I thought I'd add my little bit of experience. I finally just went to Discount Tire and they reflashed the new ones in 5 minutes.

djchubbs
03-11-2009, 03:35 AM
No the g8 is not affected because i dont have any sensors in my winter rims and i just deal with the light

mark
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
My stock right rear rim and tire is in my trunk to use as a spare while my TPMS-less winter set is on, and the DIC doesn't detect the pressure on that single tire. The warning at start up doesn't bother me too much, you get used to it. It's funny though, because even though the DIC graphic shows dashes instead of pressures on all four sides, my monthly on-star report does show pressure for that single tire.