PDA

View Full Version : Fought a Shelby GT Mustang to a draw!

TonyKarter
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Actually, he let off first. Was on the way back from a neighbors 40 aniversary party Saturday night "looking for some trouble" as my blushing bride of 27 years puts it. Through two towns and nothing. Pull away from the last light, me in fouth position and I can hear an exhaust note from somewhere up front that says I might have just got lucky. Sure enough, when the road curves a little I see a Mustang a couple of years old, and that's where the noise is coming from. Safely make my way through the gaggle of trucks that is normal here in east Texas and get behind the guy and low and behold it's a Shelby! I romp up behind him twice so he can see my lights go up in his rearview mirror, I see his eyes lit by my lights reflecting from his mirror and I can see he is looking back, probably thinking, "Who is THIS FOOL?" Me, that's who, with a capital F. We exit the loop, turn under the overpass on concrete, nobody around, he idles forward in the left lane at about 3-5mph waiting for me to come along side, which I do. Foot already on the gas to get up beside him, I've already taken the "slack", the throttle lag out of my equation when he hits it. We were going so slow I was still in 1st. I pull half a length on him, then we freeze in that position up through 60-65, he lets off. He stays behind me, I do a 180 around the boulevard and he slows to turn behind me, then, inexplicably, he goes straight and doesn't accept the second challenge.
Did I just get away with one? What's up with the Shelby's? Are they just handling packages and graphics, or was he just being merciful?

GRRRR8
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Some were not supercharged. If it doesnt say GT500, dont worry.

PostalCherokee
03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
If it was just a Shelby GT then they are a little stronger than a stock mustang. I think they have a CAI and maybe different gears, I forget.

GRRRR8
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
If it was just a Shelby GT then they are a little stronger than a stock mustang. I think they have a CAI and maybe different gears, I forget.

Correct. Then there were quite a few that were 6s that looked like Shelbys and some even put badges on them.

'02 ws6
03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Nice Kill...Seems like you've been getting all the good ones lately Tony!

Yea we have 1 in my hometown that runs around, I used to work with the guy, it's white w/ silver stripes. Pretty nice looking cars, but performance is still kind of blah. His sounds good, he pulled the exhaust and has a typical Flowmaster American Thunder cat back, with K&N CAI, and lowered on Eibachs.

Copied from mustang site on Shelby GT and GT-Hs (Hertz GTs - "Rent-A-Racers")

Exterior Features:
Exterior paint set off with racing stripes
Set of Rocker Stripes
Custom Shelby Performance hood with pins
Brushed aluminum grille with running horse emblem
Unique front fascia with integrated lower grille & body side scoops
Painted Brake Calipers
17-inch aluminum wheels wearing P235/55ZR17 performance rubber

American Muscle is your source for Carroll Shelby wheels. Check out the 18" and 20" CS69 and CS56 rims available in chrome and black.

Interior Features:
Shelby GT and GT-H sill plates
Numbered Dash Badge w/Carroll Shelby Signature

Engine & Drivetrain Modifications:
Power Pack (FR1) to add a genuine 25-horsepower
Performance Calibration and a Cat-Back Performance Exhaust

Suspension Modifications:
Ford Racing Handling Pack (FR3) installed

bwooten492
03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
So performance wise its alot like a bullitt. I busted one of those at the track when i was stock. Anyway, good kill!

IateAn8
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
It was probably a V6 you raced. I'm surprised that you were able to keep up with him.

One easy way to tell the difference between the Shelby GT and the Shelby GT500 is that the Shelby GT has that crappy hood scoop on it. Oh, the GT500 has a distinctive Whipple wine to it when at throttle.

bwooten492
03-09-2009, 07:08 PM
It was probably a V6 you raced. I'm surprised that you were able to keep up with him.

One easy way to tell the difference between the Shelby GT and the Shelby GT500 is that the Shelby GT has that crappy hood scoop on it. Oh, the GT500 has a distinctive Whipple wine to it when at throttle.

???? I dont think the Shelby GT's are huge unbeatable powerhouses...

p71
03-10-2009, 04:00 AM
???? I dont think the Shelby GT's are huge unbeatable powerhouses...

Look at his screen name.

A shelby gt is just a 15000 appearance and handling pacakge with a CAI.

'02 ws6
03-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Oh, the GT500 has a distinctive Whipple wine to it when at throttle.

You mean distinctive Eaton Roots blower whine right?

I hear Maggie'd G8s whine too..:)
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

The Commodore
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I think Lightnings have the most distinctive whine. And it is not very hard to keep up with a stock Shelby GT.

But good race to the OP.

TonyKarter
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
it was a Shelby is that it said "Shelby GT" or "Shelby something" on the rear of the car. It surely wasn't a GT500. One of our partners in our firm has a convertible GT500 with 600 miles on it. He's sent it back to Shelby to have some major upgrade done to it, an extra 100 or so horsepower and other things. It is such a major upgrade that they are going to issue a new title to it. He tells me that his will be number 7 and that he plans to put it up for twenty years or so and then sell it at auction...it's an investment for him. Gee, I wish I was funded like that...