PDA

View Full Version : Got my ar headers installed

liquidred1
03-08-2009, 03:03 PM
My buddy helped me out. Took us almost 10 hrs together. What a PITA that was. But i love how they sound and now that i can clearly hear my 2nd gear scratch.

Did anybody else get the dic telling them that the stability control was off after installing them? I cannot turn it back on either

Also now says service vehicle soon - i was guessing that was because of the o2 sensors giving a code - Is that correct?

I still need to get it retuned via fxp cable from vms

g8_795
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
My buddy helped me out. Took us almost 10 hrs together. What a PITA that was. But i love how they sound and now that i can clearly hear my 2nd gear scratch.

Did anybody else get the dic telling them that the stability control was off after installing them? I cannot turn it back on either

Also now says service vehicle soon - i was guessing that was because of the o2 sensors giving a code - Is that correct?

I still need to get it retuned via fxp cable from vms

I didn't get the stability control was off error when installing the headers. Did you try disconnecting the battery cable for a few minutes?

I love the sound of the headers. The DIC is probably the catalyst inefficiency error.

Congrats.

liquidred1
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
i had the battery disconnected the whole time during the install.

i also noticed that when i was in sport mode that it wouldnt go past 3rd gear except manually. Didnt think that happened before.

g8_795
03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
i had the battery disconnected the whole time during the install.

i also noticed that when i was in sport mode that it wouldnt go past 3rd gear except manually. Didnt think that happened before.

I think something is wrong. Are you sure you got everything back together OK? Can you pull your DIC?

Blackdevil77
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Get the computer re-flashed either by the dealer or VMS. Sounds like a glitch. I had that happen with the stability control before. Reflashing it fixed the problem

liquidred1
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I think something is wrong. Are you sure you got everything back together OK? Can you pull your DIC?

Pretty sure i got everything together right. Checked it all out after i finished. I guess i could check again tomorrow.

I dont know what you mean by "pull the DIC"? Isnt that Driver Information Center?

GeorgeInNePa
03-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Isn't that kind of personal?

liquidred1
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Get the computer re-flashed either by the dealer or VMS. Sounds like a glitch. I had that happen with the stability control before. Reflashing it fixed the problem

That was my initial thought. You probably can only touch the positive batt cable to the terminal one time to make the connection or it may cause "glitches" in the ecm if you are fiddling with it too much. I didnt reconnect the battery, my buddy did.

GRRRR8
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM

WOW! You went there. You better hope Tug doesnt see this. It might get me bumped out of his sig!

liquidred1
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM

I dont think he means that DIC. You dirty bastard:stooges:

g8_795
03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Haha. That didn't come out quite right. :puke:

norm8332
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Are you sure the MAF sensor is plugged in? Check it. Mine was unplugged once and I had problems like yours.

liquidred1
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Are you sure the MAF sensor is plugged in? Check it. Mine was unplugged once and I had problems like yours.

Just checked it and its plugged in.

liquidred1
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
does anybody have any ideas of what might be going on or have any suggestions on what i could do?

norm8332
03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I would take it to autozone or similar and have them pull the codes. They do it for free.

g8_795
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I would take it to autozone or similar and have them pull the codes. They do it for free.

Yes, Or I think Onstar will also do this for you???? This is the first step for sure. You need to know what the codes are.

-Ray-
03-10-2009, 05:04 AM
does anybody have any ideas of what might be going on or have any suggestions on what i could do?

I take it the stability control is still off?
Did you take it to get the code read? You don't have a location listed in your profile. Quite a few of us have a Dashhawk or other code reader and can do it as well.
Usually the stability will turn on again after a short period of time after a battery disconnect.
The codes you should find are P0230, P0240 for the rear 02 sensors.
If you have other codes, those need to be known to diagnose.

liquidred1
03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Just thought about trying onstar today to see what they had to say. I do also have a dashhawk so ill try that also. Thanks everyone

liquidred1
03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Checked for codes on my dashhawk and didnt find anything. Had onstar check and they came up with 2 codes.

1. c0196 - stability control problem
2. u0926 - abs problem

the only thing onstar said was that the code said something was interrupted or communication was lost to the device....or something like that.

did not have any other codes-not for the o2 sensors or anything

he told me to take it to the dealer, but id like to get it reflashed from vms first and then see what happens. What do you guys think?

liquidred1
03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I did still have my dashhawk hooked up when i reconnected the battery after i installed the headers. i wonder if that screwed it up somehow. im thinking about disconnecting the battery again, with the dashhawk disconnected and then reconnecting the battery to see if that does anything. I really dont want to go to the dealer, i dont know if they are mod friendly or not.

-Ray-
03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Give it a shot, can't hurt anything.

GeorgeInNePa
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
+1

g8_795
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
This is a common problem when reading/writing an image with these cars if the ignition is completely on. I know you didn't do this but the dashhawk may have done something. On HPTuner's website Bill suggests pulling the TCM fuse while everything else is still powered. -Robert

GRRRR8
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
You are having a communication issue with the ABS/Traction control module. Make sure what ever it was that was unplugged is plugged in CORRECTLY. Meaning, no damaged pins, wires etc. The tune will not fix this as they are not reflashing that module.

r33pwrd
03-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Tractol control is like that on mine... there is a TSB on it (assuming that is the part of the problem??)

GRRRR8
03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I have the issue and its the brake light switch calibration.

jimmytt6
03-12-2009, 06:58 AM
I am new to the forum, just got my G8 a few weeks ago and want to get some headers.
What is the hardest part of installing them? Looks like the Passenger side with the oil dipstick could be tough? Plug access doesn't look to bad?

thanks for any info..

Jim
09 LiquidRed/Premium/Sport

liquidred1
03-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I guess the only thing i can do is look around and make sure all my wiring is in order and check some connections. Ill also try pulling the fuse to the tcm to see if that works. If its a tsb issue then that could be fixed with the flash from vector. If all of the above fails then off to the dealer I go. It still seems odd that the codes for the o2 sensors didnt come up when they were supposed to.

-Ray-
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Eventually the codes for the cats will happen.

liquidred1
03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, turns out it was simply a connector in the engine compartment that came apart and i didnt see it. OOPS. Oh well, its all fixed now and no more codes or anything.:woohoo: Just need vms to do their magic now.

-Ray-
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Sweet!

todds87ss
03-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Which connector was it?

todds87ss
03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I am new to the forum, just got my G8 a few weeks ago and want to get some headers.
What is the hardest part of installing them? Looks like the Passenger side with the oil dipstick could be tough? Plug access doesn't look to bad?

thanks for any info..

Jim
09 LiquidRed/Premium/Sport

:threadjacked:

Some headers are easier than others to align with other exhaust components, and some tend to bump and bang on chassis parts. Just do some searching and get what is best for your desired setup. I have yet to hear of significant challenges under the hood for the install. Most problems are of the pipe alignment type.

liquidred1
03-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Which connector was it?

LOL, that was the stability control connector. j/k It was the grey connector on the driver side of the engine compartment a few inches away from that positive terminal that needed to be rerouted away from the a/c lines. Must have already been loose or something and i just helped it come off when i had my arms in there trying to disconnect one of the o2 sensors.