PDA

View Full Version : Livernois stage 1!

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Just got back from Detroit and my trip up to Livernois Motorsports. Pretty impressive place and a bunch of really helpful and interested guys working there. Driving home to Florida I learned a lot about this set-up. Really nice. It's too early in the morning to get into any details now so I'll do a follow up with some dyno graphs. I can tell you this though, the car runs like a scalded cat, it just flat hauls.

Mike P
03-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Just got back from Detroit and my trip up to Livernois Motorsports. Pretty impressive place and a bunch of really helpful and interested guys working there. Driving home to Florida I learned a lot about this set-up. Really nice. It's too early in the morning to get into any details now so I'll do a follow up with some dyno graphs. I can tell you this though, the car runs like a scalded cat, it just flat hauls.

Jeff: So you got the cam huh? Awesome! Man that drive from Florida to Michigan & back is not short. I've made it a few times before, but with the added horsepower and the G8 it probably made it better.

So how much RWHP & RWTQ now!? :)

edmanet
03-08-2009, 03:57 AM

Was your car in any of the posted photos that Andy sent me ??

Did you get the valve job and the heads milled ??

Blackdevil77
03-08-2009, 04:20 AM
numbers!!!?????

MANOFSTEEL69
03-08-2009, 04:41 AM
And don't forget to tell them about the trans tune Jeff! :)

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Jeff: So you got the cam huh? Awesome! Man that drive from Florida to Michigan & back is not short. I've made it a few times before, but with the added horsepower and the G8 it probably made it better.

So how much RWHP & RWTQ now!? :)

Boy, you're not kidding, it's a loooooong trip. I'll have some graphs up soon. Mine made somewhat less than Paul's car. Hold the I told you so's: Andy said it was due to the exhaust. But this car is seriously fast none the less and I may go ahead with the LTs & a retune next trip.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Was your car in any of the posted photos that Andy sent me ??

Did you get the valve job and the heads milled ??

Not sure on the photos, but if it's an ignition orange GT then it's probably mine.

I did get the CNC valve job. They also relieve the valve seat area and so they deck the heads (couple of thousands if I remember right). Andy gives you a tour of their facility and you will see the area where this work is done on site. Mirror finish on the head work, really nice.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 06:06 AM
numbers!!!?????

There coming.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Change your signature now Jeff! :)

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 06:15 AM
And don't forget to tell them about the trans tune Jeff! :)

Yes, thanks for bringing that up. Well, I can tell you that I'm very pleasantly surprised with the tcm tune. Shifts faster than before but the shift quality is very similar to the VMS tune. I'll admit, I was a little concerned. I was wondering if it would shift like an old friend of mine's corvette that had a shift kit in it. Not at all. I can't imagine anyone who has had their tcm tuned professionally, and liked that tune, not liking the Livernois tcm tune. I feel like the trans shifts quicker now and I like the improvement, although I was very happy with the VMS tcm tune considering how my car was set up prior to the cam. It's just with the cam the trans needed to be retuned.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Here is a post of representative mileage the car gave after the cam. This stretch was on I75 from Chantanooga, TN to down south of Atlanta, GA. Covered 183 miles. When I eventually filled up the tank, I had driven 370 miles and averaged 23.5 mpg over the whole 370 miles, and that's at almost 80 mph with a headwind to boot. So my mileage is likely better on the freeway. Around town, I would say all bets are off. You try not punching this car now and then ... if you can.

edmanet
03-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Not sure on the photos, but if it's an ignition orange GT then it's probably mine.

I did get the CNC valve job. They also relieve the valve seat area and so they deck the heads (couple of thousands if I remember right). Andy gives you a tour of their facility and you will see the area where this work is done on site. Mirror finish on the head work, really nice.

Here's the post
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4282

I won't get to see the shop. They picked my car up.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Here's the post
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4282

I won't get to see the shop. They picked my car up.

Yep, that's mine. Thanks for passing these shots along; I didn't get to see this view when I was up there. I'm going to have them pick up my car for the LTs in a couple of weeks, if they have room on the trailer.

Yes, I'd say I've been bitten by the mod bug. It's not terminal, is it?

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Here are the dyno results on the stage 1 install. Andy estimates that with 1 7/8" LTs it should put out about 30 rwhp additional.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Very nice! I can't wait to get my heads. Also going to go a little more aggresive on my tune, as we think the motor will handle it. (Fingers crossed, lol)

VegasNate
03-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Thats a pretty high baseline. Congrats on the new Cam! I'm loving mine. New tires will be in your future soon!

fiveoh
03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Here are the dyno results on the stage 1 install. Andy estimates that with 1 7/8" LTs it should put out about 30 rwhp additional.

nice numbers ! How does it idle with the cam compared to stock? Also any idea if it will pass emissions with the cam?

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 08:52 AM
nice numbers ! How does it idle with the cam compared to stock? Also any idea if it will pass emissions with the cam?

Idles like a good size cam would: has obvious lope, rocks the car gently, idles up at about 750 rpm once warm, idles easily and steadily. It's pushing the envelope for a street driven car but once you get on it any thought of it being maybe a little too much flies right out of your head believe me.

As far as passing emissions goes, I don't know. But I have shorty headers now which might make it easier but not sure on that.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Thats a pretty high baseline. Congrats on the new Cam! I'm loving mine. New tires will be in your future soon!

Thanks, I know what you mean. Baseline was with all my previous mods which are listed below.

G8GT594
03-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Very nice! I can't wait to get my heads. Also going to go a little more aggresive on my tune, as we think the motor will handle it. (Fingers crossed, lol)

Elaborate on that for me please, i know mine is pretty aggressive, we just changed it to spin all the way up to 7k, just wondering what you mean by this...

edmanet
03-08-2009, 10:11 AM

As long as there are no codes it should pass.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Elaborate on that for me please, i know mine is pretty aggressive, we just changed it to spin all the way up to 7k, just wondering what you mean by this...

Following in your footsteps brother! ;) Can't have you getting away from me by that much. I think my cam specs will work well at higher RPMs. I'm currently at 6200RPMs, down from the 6400 Mike @ New Era had me. Plus we're going to street tune mine as I think it will respond better to that with the OTR intake.

Mike P
03-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Jeff: Nice results! And nice gas mileage, best of both worlds. I'm sure you're going to love your long tube headers once you get them on there. Are you going to go with the American Racing 1 7/8" and leave you stock axleback on? Still sounds good.

Question: So you got the Livernois Stage 1 cam, the 5 angle exhaust valve job, and did you have the heads milled too?

Glad to hear you love the results. I can't wait to add more horsepower to my car. I'm going to run it at the drag strip and then do the cam swap in the middle of April.

Talk to you soon! :)

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Just a follow up on what it's like driving the car now with the Livernois stage 1 cam. Car idles nicely, not roughly at all, you just know it has a cam in it. Driving it: I remember a lot of guys commenting on how their car was a beast now (with LTs, cai, tune) compared to stock and it was a whole different car, etc. Well, with this cam the car turns from beast to rocket. I can really see why Livernois Motorsports promotes this cam now that I have some city driving under my belt. It delivers enormous hp with a very friendly powerband. I can't imagine that anyone would be disappointed choosing this cam. Is it strong for a daily driver, yes. And if you add LT headers, adding a potential 30 more rwhp, well, it's going to be one seriously fast ride. As it is now, it is no longer remotely close to being the same car I bought from the Dealer last August. I heartily recommend this cam along with the Livernois tcm tune to anyone who wants this kind of acceleration. You will be impressed.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Jeff: Nice results! And nice gas mileage, best of both worlds. I'm sure you're going to love your long tube headers once you get them on there. Are you going to go with the American Racing 1 7/8" and leave you stock axleback on? Still sounds good.

I'd like to go with ARH but since Livernois has Kooks I'll probably go that way, with stock mufflers. In fact, I'm looking for ways to quiet it down some (as usual), any suggestions?

Question: So you got the Livernois Stage 1 cam, the 5 angle exhaust valve job, and did you have the heads milled too?

Yes, all of the above.

Glad to hear you love the results. I can't wait to add more horsepower to my car. I'm going to run it at the drag strip and then do the cam swap in the middle of April.

The thing is, my car feels so fast now that I'm actually a bit hesitant of getting it to make even more power. Oh what the hek, it'll give me an excuse to get some stickier rubber sooner than I thought I would.

Talk to you soon! :)

OK.

G8GT594
03-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Following in your footsteps brother! ;) Can't have you getting away from me by that much. I think my cam specs will work well at higher RPMs. I'm currently at 6200RPMs, down from the 6400 Mike @ New Era had me. Plus we're going to street tune mine as I think it will respond better to that with the OTR intake.

Nice, now your porting the heads on the exhaust side correct? O and if the weather is good when your up here, i think a little heads up action is in order! :woohoo:

GeorgeInNePa
03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice HP and Torque numbers.

23.5mpg on the highway is pretty good for a 416rwhp car.

Congrats and enjoy.

The 1/4 mile numbers should be real interesting this spring, lots of cammed G8s out there now.

The Commodore
03-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Nice HP and Torque numbers.

23.5mpg on the highway is pretty good for a 416rwhp car.

Congrats and enjoy.

The 1/4 mile numbers should be real interesting this spring, lots of cammed G8s out there now.

Yes the 1/4 times will help me decide if a cam is in my cars future.

G8GT594
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes the 1/4 times will help me decide if a cam is in my cars future.

Yes, this should be some good numbers coming this spring. I have Andy pricing me out some gears if i don't go that route then a converter is in. Shooting for 11s....

GRRRR8
03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, this should be some good numbers coming this spring. I have Andy pricing me out some gears if i don't go that route then a converter is in. Shooting for 11s....

Gears and converter for me. :devil:

PostalCherokee
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Do any of you guys with the stage 1 installed have a good sound clip? I'd like to hear the idle.

GeorgeInNePa
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Do any of you guys with the stage 1 installed have a good sound clip? I'd like to hear the idle.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e0lg7HuxLPE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e0lg7HuxLPE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MANOFSTEEL69
03-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Nice, now your porting the heads on the exhaust side correct? O and if the weather is good when your up here, i think a little heads up action is in order! :woohoo:

Andy is checking with someone from GM about whether or not intake and exhaust should be done with mine, do to my cam being a little more severe than yours. I'm also doing the valves I believe.

G8GT594
03-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Andy is checking with someone from GM about whether or not intake and exhaust should be done with mine, do to my cam being a little more severe than yours. I'm also doing the valves I believe.

Good to hear. I know for sure im going to get the exhaust side done whenever i get the extra money for it. Let me know what you guys end up doing!

Mike P
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I think I may move up my cam swap from middle of April, to now (middle of March), I'm getting the green light from the wife.

This spring & summer could be interesting between the G8s at the 1/4 mile dragstrip! :)

Blackdevil77
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Does the cam require any "break-in" before really getting on it or is it instant power and fun right after you get it?

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I think I may move up my cam swap from middle of April, to now (middle of March), I'm getting the green light from the wife.

This spring & summer could be interesting between the G8s at the 1/4 mile dragstrip! :)

Go for it but I got to tell ya, the cam with all you have already done, well, it's going to be explosive.

GeorgeInNePa
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Does the cam require any "break-in" before really getting on it or is it instant power and fun right after you get it?

Your installer will normally take care of the break in.

jbradsh1
03-08-2009, 07:20 PM

I asked Andy the same question. His answer: cams are different now a days and no break-in is needed by the customer. They do a very quick break in procedure when starting the car for the first time after the install, that's about it.

Mike P
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Go for it but I got to tell ya, the cam with all you have already done, well, it's going to be explosive.

I'm looking forward to explosive, consistant 12's has a nice ring to it!

:devil:

I thought March was going to be a painful month of waiting for the tracks to open & saving cash for the cam.

But now it looks like I'll get the cam this month (March) :woohoo:

jbradsh1
03-09-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm looking forward to explosive, consistant 12's has a nice ring to it!

:devil:

I thought March was going to be a painful month of waiting for the tracks to open & saving cash for the cam.

But now it looks like I'll get the cam this month (March) :woohoo:

Valve job also?

Mike P
03-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Valve job also?

Yes, definitely. And will get the heads milled. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the full head work done (full porting job on the heads).

But the meat & potatoes will all be there i.e. cam & dod gone. :)

G8GT594
03-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Yes, definitely. And will get the heads milled. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the full head work done (full porting job on the heads).

But the meat & potatoes will all be there i.e. cam & dod gone. :)

Hold off on porting the heads until we get some numbers... It might not be worth the money/hp gain.

Mike P
03-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Hold off on porting the heads until we get some numbers... It might not be worth the money/hp gain.

I copy that thanks Paul. :)

I probably don't have enough funds for all the head porting work anyways.

One thing though, in Vector's "Head / Cam Package Results In", that car and results was with the VMS Stage 2 head work. Full porting of the heads. (For the 451rwhp & 415rwtq on their Mustang Dyno).

In any event, I'm getting super anxious because my cam is going to happen this month now! :) (March) :)

Andy@Livernois
03-09-2009, 09:54 AM
here is a video of the modifications:

MckVc3dpDwY&fmt=18

Blackdevil77
03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Awsome vid! I'd like to see more "in-car" vid's of these cammed G8's. I wanna see a 0-100 or maybe even more if you got the space N' ballz! lol.

99-LS1-SS
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Those are pretty good numbers especially considering you have shorties on there!

confused2much
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Those vids are badass....the cars in them are sweet too.

jbradsh1
03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
here is a video of the modifications:

MckVc3dpDwY&fmt=18

What can I say except thanks Andy and to all the crew @Livernois Motorsports. Couldn't be happier! Very nice video.

jbradsh1
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Those are pretty good numbers especially considering you have shorties on there!

Thanks, I appreciate the thought (never thought I'd get a compliment with Kooks shorties in the same sentence! ... promise I won't let it go to my head).

GeorgeInNePa
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM

At what point will you feel it's worth it?

$20/hp, $40/hp, $60/hp?

99-LS1-SS
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I think $1 per horsepower should be a rule.

GeorgeInNePa
03-09-2009, 12:56 PM

So Say We All!!!

The Commodore
03-09-2009, 12:57 PM

Then most people would be pushing 1000 hp lol.

That would be awesome though.

Livernois Motorsports
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the thought (never thought I'd get a compliment with Kooks shorties in the same sentence! ... promise I won't let it go to my head).

I liked it with the shorties too, because it is a total sleeper. When you're driving it sounds almost stock.

-Rick

p71
03-09-2009, 02:07 PM
So Say We All!!!

Ok Adama...

MANOFSTEEL69
03-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Frak! Lol!

Darkside
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
One thing though, in Vector's "Head / Cam Package Results In", that car and results was with the VMS Stage 2 head work. Full porting of the heads. (For the 451rwhp & 415rwtq on their Mustang Dyno).

I'm hoping to up the ante within a few weeks over there. Michigan is certainly putting out some good G8 numbers.

G8GT594
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Awsome vid! I'd like to see more "in-car" vid's of these cammed G8's. I wanna see a 0-100 or maybe even more if you got the space N' ballz! lol.

Ill get some more of my car here soon. Whenever we have some nice weather again..

And those are good numbers with shorties on. I like the way the exhaust sounds.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

G8GT594
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
At what point will you feel it's worth it?

$20/hp, $40/hp, $60/hp?

That is a good question... Depends how my wallet is feeling that day lol

PostalCherokee
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Sounds good! Thanks George

GeorgeInNePa
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
That is a good question... Depends how my wallet is feeling that day lol

;)

Mike P
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Jeff: That clip of your car is awesome! I really like the WOT clip from inside!

The speedometer needle just flies! :)

p71
03-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Frak! Lol!
Hey! No swearing; this is a smegging family forum.

jbradsh1
03-10-2009, 05:04 AM
Jeff: That clip of your car is awesome! I really like the WOT clip from inside!

The speedometer needle just flies! :)

It does indeed. Kinda surprised me too, especially after the 1-2 shift it looks like it just jumps up about 15 mph instantly. I like my car!

jbradsh1
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I liked it with the shorties too, because it is a total sleeper. When you're driving it sounds almost stock.

-Rick

Just noticed your comment. Yes, I do like how the car can be pretty quiet, until you get on it. It's really about perfect now as far as the balance between quiet/roudy goes. I get you guys @Livernois somewhat mixed up. What's your post, title, or job Rick?

Andy@Livernois
03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Rick handles our website / marketing / and gets to drive all the cars ;) don't you Rick? :D

G8GT594
03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Rick handles our website / marketing / and gets to drive all the cars ;) don't you Rick? :D

I keep forgeting to pick up my Livernois banner... any word on gears yet?

GeorgeInNePa
03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I keep forgeting to pick up my Livernois banner... any word on gears yet?

According to Greg@Pace, GM still has no part number listed for the 3.27s from the GXP or the 3.45s from the Camaro.

Andy@Livernois
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I have the part number on the 3.27 carrier w/ G80 at work... they aren't too cheap (1600 ish IIRC)

Livernois Motorsports
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Just noticed your comment. Yes, I do like how the car can be pretty quiet, until you get on it. It's really about perfect now as far as the balance between quiet/roudy goes. I get you guys @Livernois somewhat mixed up. What's your post, title, or job Rick?

Andy pretty much covered it... website / marketing and a handful of other things as well.

I was the one that walked you around when you got to the shop.

-Rick

GeorgeInNePa
03-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I have the part number on the 3.27 carrier w/ G80 at work... they aren't too cheap (1600 ish IIRC)

Is that for the entire diff from GM in North America or from Oz?

I've been looking for just gears.

Andy@Livernois
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
That is the entire diff from GMNA Just the gears should only take another phone call though.

SLVRG8GT
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok Adama...

What the frack?

jbradsh1
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Andy pretty much covered it... website / marketing and a handful of other things as well.

I was the one that walked you around when you got to the shop.

-Rick

Ah yes, now I remember. I was about to take the car out for a quick spin to blow out the cob webs (mine, not the car's). Yes, I sure like how my car drives, couldn't be better. By the way, could you remind Andy to send a sticker to put on the flat topped box that sits on the left side of the engine bay (Sorry Kirk). I like the blue one.

p71
03-12-2009, 02:30 AM
What the frack?

Being in Iraq I am a little behind on BSG... just watched the episode AFTER they got to Earth... the one where D offs herself.

sstolen
03-15-2009, 11:33 AM
has anyone tried this kit with stock exhaust i want to add power but keep it quiet too.

fiveoh
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm planning on running it with stock muffs. I think the headers/xpipe are the biggest restriction.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I used to run my stockers with my cam, but I prefer to just let it all hang out. ;) Most of the fast cars around me already know, so why hide it.

p71
03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I am going to run stock mufflers... I only like my cars loud when I am on it...