PDA

View Full Version : Sport Pedal install

WVG8GT
03-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Ok fellas, finally jumped off the bridge (first day it has gotten above 60 in WV). Made the jump to Royal Purple (car already seems to be happier and smoother) while I was at the dealer getting the oil done, I ordered the leather shifter and the sport pedals. I'm pretty sure someone on here said the shifter was a piece of cake but I was wondering about the pedals? Do I have to get up under the dash to pull off the old ones???

Any help would be appreciated!!

R.Penguin
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Do I have to get up under the dash to pull off the old ones???

NO! Assuming it's an auto tranny: I just swapped the sports pedals from the wrecked '08 to the new '09.

1) Brake pedal has a heavy rubber lip that slips over the actual metal pedal underneath. Pry it off. You will note that in typical Holden fashion this lip is very deep, and made of kryptonite. Now, that's the easy part. Now you have a plain rubber pedal in one hand and a sport pedal with pretty aluminum overlay in the other. At this point you have 3 options. A) Throw both pedals in the dumpster and use the bare metal pedal. B) Attempt to get the new pedal and the heavy rubber lip to fit on the bare pedal.:hang: C) This is the correct option. Carefully pry the aluminum overlay off of the new pedal. It is glued on with kryptonite glue. Don't bend it. Cursing is allowed. Now, without the metal overlay preventing the rubber stretching enough to snap the pedal on to the bare metal pedal, you should, with great effort & patience, more & louder cursing allowed, and hopefully without the loss of more than 2 fingertips, finally get the mother*ucker on. (It was at this point several neighbors asked me to curse in a lower tone as I was scaring their children). Now, glue the metal overlay back on with the American version of kryptonite (Goop) and let it dry. Your'e done. HAHAHAHAAAA. :hang: Others have suggested using something like Vaseline or grease to help slip the pedal on with more ease. This is considered cheating! :( Also, any lubricant that is petroleum based will attack the rubber brake pedal and some day you might well find it stuck to the bottom of your shoe.:p

2) You will be happy to know that it is all downhill from here. :p Once the feeling returns to your fingers and you have pretty much stopped bleeding, you will discover that the gas pedal is totally unrelated to the brake pedal. This is as it should be, of course. You may have either the entire gas pedal with the aluminum overlay on it, or hopefully just the metal overlay itself. If you have the entire metal pedal with mounting arm, etc., just carefully pry up the metal tabs that hold the overlay on to the pedal up and it will slip right off. Then go back into the parts dept. and hit the guy who ordered that whole pedal thing in the head with it. You have retained the .5 ounce metal overlay of course. Now, just slip the gas pedal overlay on to the pedal and bend the tabs back to secure the overlay to the pedal. :woohoo: You are done! Unless you are still trying to make bail for attempted murder of the parts dept. guy, sit back and admire your work. Lovely aren't they? When they finally release you from jail, go home, apologize to the neighbors and have at least 2 beers.

That's it.

DQGTO
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
thats classic

R.Penguin
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
thats classic
I hope it helps WVG8GT. :p

-Ray-
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
thats classic

it was up to his usual standards I must admit.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Lol! Bad thing is I'm actually starting to understand the penguinese! Lol!

R.Penguin
03-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Lol! Bad thing is I'm actually starting to understand the penguinese! Lol!
ACK! You Sir, are doomed! :p

gearhead455
03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Why didn't the use a metal pedal for the deadfoot rest? and why delete the glovebox light? and why no trunk light? answer.....cheap bastids'!!!

vert
03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I think the vaseline is used when you take a break. I used dish soap when I installed new peddles on my mustang.

norm8332
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a trunk light...you better double check that on yours.

gearhead455
03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a trunk light...you better double check that on yours.

2009? your sig says 2008.

R.Penguin
03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I think the vaseline is used when you take a break. I used dish soap when I installed new peddles on my mustang.
Correct on both counts!

R.Penguin
03-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Who me? Both '08 &'09 had/have trunk lights.

PantherGTBlack
03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Do I have to get up under the dash to pull off the old ones???

NO! Assuming it's an auto tranny: I just swapped the sports pedals from the wrecked '08 to the new '09.

1) Brake pedal has a heavy rubber lip that slips over the actual metal pedal underneath. Pry it off. You will note that in typical Holden fashion this lip is very deep, and made of kryptonite. Now, that's the easy part. Now you have a plain rubber pedal in one hand and a sport pedal with pretty aluminum overlay in the other. At this point you have 3 options. A) Throw both pedals in the dumpster and use the bare metal pedal. B) Attempt to get the new pedal and the heavy rubber lip to fit on the bare pedal.:hang: C) This is the correct option. Carefully pry the aluminum overlay off of the new pedal. It is glued on with kryptonite glue. Don't bend it. Cursing is allowed. Now, without the metal overlay preventing the rubber stretching enough to snap the pedal on to the bare metal pedal, you should, with great effort & patience, more & louder cursing allowed, and hopefully without the loss of more than 2 fingertips, finally get the mother*ucker on. (It was at this point several neighbors asked me to curse in a lower tone as I was scaring their children). Now, glue the metal overlay back on with the American version of kryptonite (Goop) and let it dry. Your'e done. HAHAHAHAAAA. :hang: Others have suggested using something like Vaseline or grease to help slip the pedal on with more ease. This is considered cheating! :( Also, any lubricant that is petroleum based will attack the rubber brake pedal and some day you might well find it stuck to the bottom of your shoe.:p

2) You will be happy to know that it is all downhill from here. :p Once the feeling returns to your fingers and you have pretty much stopped bleeding, you will discover that the gas pedal is totally unrelated to the brake pedal. This is as it should be, of course. You may have either the entire gas pedal with the aluminum overlay on it, or hopefully just the metal overlay itself. If you have the entire metal pedal with mounting arm, etc., just carefully pry up the metal tabs that hold the overlay on to the pedal up and it will slip right off. Then go back into the parts dept. and hit the guy who ordered that whole pedal thing in the head with it. You have retained the .5 ounce metal overlay of course. Now, just slip the gas pedal overlay on to the pedal and bend the tabs back to secure the overlay to the pedal. :woohoo: You are done! Unless you are still trying to make bail for attempted murder of the parts dept. guy, sit back and admire your work. Lovely aren't they? When they finally release you from jail, go home, apologize to the neighbors and have at least 2 beers.

That's it.

Damn Penguin, You "penguinized" those instructions I PM'd you something fierce, lol.

gearhead455
03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Who me? Both '08 &'09 had/have trunk lights.

It's dark out,I just went outside and opened the trunk, by golly I do have a light!!

Note to self..."don't check for lights in the daytime. LOL!!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/DOH.gif

R.Penguin
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Damn Penguin, You "penguinized" those instructions I PM'd you something fierce, lol.
Hell no! I write & talk normally! It's you guys who talk funny! :p