PDA

View Full Version : Gt catback on a v6?

triggz357
03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
What obstacles would i face? The only thing i can think of is the o2 sensor input (if it needs one). Another question...where are the v6 intakes????

Chief
03-09-2009, 05:49 AM
The GT uses a 2 1/2 inch pipe while the V6 uses a 2 inch pipe. So there may be a bolt up problem at the flange for the exhaust manifold. Otherwise, I do beleive that they route and hang the same.

The main isue though will be the drone inside of the car. The systems, both stock and aftermarket, are designed for a V8 which has a totally different requirment than a V6 for sound deadining. Different frequiencies of pulses.

I'm currently running a prototype magnaflow cat back system on my V6. Overall the sound is great. The only down side is the interior drone at 1500 RPM's in 5th gear. And it's bad enough to be very noticable to the point you can't hold a conversation or hear the radio without crakning it way up.

There are a few companies out now with a CAI for the V6, just look around as I don't remember them.

triggz357
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
My plan is to put the kooks cat back (6711-cx,cut off the kooks cats and sell em cheap on ebay) and slp loud mouth axle backs. The drone will be nasty but since im planning on adding some subs the trunk and doors will have a couple layers of dynamat xtreme. The flanges wont be a problem. Any good exhaust shop can fab that easily.

Chief
03-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Good luck.

Just making you aware of the differences between the two was all.

With the loud mouths, it will probably be pretty loud.

menace
03-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Here in Oz, Xforce make V8 twin 2.5" system that bolts on to the Commodore SV6. They are the same.

CipJug
07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Hello all

I have 1 B&B Catback for a JEEP SRT-8 in stock.

If you are interested, just PM or call me. I will sell it at a great price

Thanks

dandragonrage
07-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Man, just go to a custom exhaust shop and have them do it up with 2.25". Custom exhaust is for the win. About 3 years ago, I took my Grand Am to a shop in MA called Lou's Custom Exhaust, brought my own Magnaflow muffler (Camaro style - transverse mounted, single inlet, dual outlet) and had them do a catback system, 2.25", stainless, and it cost me like $300 (this obviously doesn't include the cost of the muffler, but that was < $100). Material cost is obviously different today from 3 years ago, but I can't understand why more people aren't going this way if you want exhaust. It will be better if you go to a good shop. Period.

gman1227
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
got it:D
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/gman1227/HPIM0825.jpg

kidhauler
08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Man, just go to a custom exhaust shop and have them do it up with 2.25". Custom exhaust is for the win. About 3 years ago, I took my Grand Am to a shop in MA called Lou's Custom Exhaust, brought my own Magnaflow muffler (Camaro style - transverse mounted, single inlet, dual outlet) and had them do a catback system, 2.25", stainless, and it cost me like $300 (this obviously doesn't include the cost of the muffler, but that was < $100). Material cost is obviously different today from 3 years ago, but I can't understand why more people aren't going this way if you want exhaust. It will be better if you go to a good shop. Period.
Lou's is a great shop. They put a catback on my 2000 Maxima.

Any chance we can get an audio clip of the finished product?

-Dennis-

mtolivecracker
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/gman1227/HPIM0825.jpg

soooooo, is it louder now with the GT muffs?

gman1227
08-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Any chance we can get an audio clip of the finished product?

-Dennis-

soooooo, is it louder now with the GT muffs?

there is pretty much no difference between gt and v6 sound is the same, jus looks better:)