PDA

View Full Version : TCM and ECM updated

SRG963
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Finally made it into the dealership at 1 today. Took them a hour and a half to align it :dream: and 15 min to update with computer.

I can tell a huge difference with normal driving, MPG's are getting better and it doesn't seem so jumpy in drive. All shifts seem to be quicker, I will be able to tell more once I drive more.

Gotta run:bm:

SRG963
08-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I suggest everyone at 3k get your free alignment at the dealership.

I waited till 6k and now I'm sure my tires are a little uneven:whocares: I'll wear them down soon enough.

TouchOfGray
10-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Free Alignment?? The dealer never mentioned anything and I am at almost 8,000 miles. Is this across the nation or local?

99-LS1-SS
10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Last time I checked a dealership they told me 7000 miles was the alignment cutoff.

Blackdevil77
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Nobody told me about a free alignment :rant: I better get it for free! I'm going next thursday for it

todds87ss
10-31-2008, 03:28 PM
which update did you get?

-Ray-
11-01-2008, 02:36 AM
The original thread was in Aug.

MANOFSTEEL69
11-01-2008, 04:01 AM
I also did the TCM update, and what a difference! The shifts are very smooth and the car is a lot more responsive when you tromp on the throttle. Look fellas, don't think if it ain't broke don't fix it.....It takes 15 minutes and makes a huge difference.

SRG963
11-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Nobody told me about a free alignment :rant: I better get it for free! I'm going next thursday for it

It's only good till 7500 miles.

John Wilson
11-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Finally made it into the dealership at 1 today. Took them a hour and a half to align it :dream: and 15 min to update with computer.

I can tell a huge difference with normal driving, MPG's are getting better and it doesn't seem so jumpy in drive. All shifts seem to be quicker, I will be able to tell more once I drive more.

Gotta run:bm:

How do you know if the comp need's an update? JW

SRG963
11-05-2008, 04:14 AM

They have to plug you in at the dealership, at least that's what I've been told.

Chewy
11-05-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm guessing my '09 has this already as it shifts pretty well. That being said I am looking forward to trying VMS's trans tune...:cd:

Jax GTO
11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Is getting the update a waste of time if your getting a tune?

GRRRR8
11-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Is getting the update a waste of time if your getting a tune?

No. Get the update then the tune. The tune is changing certain calibration tables and the update changes a whole other set of tables.

Jax GTO
11-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Ahhhh....thanks for the heads up.

4BangR-X
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM

There is no IF, just go get it done:)

GEE8GEETEE
12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Do all 09's have this already ?

BW G8GT
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
When I spoke over the phone to service tech at my local dealership about update, he had no idea what I was talking about. I mentioned the update corrects issues with hesitation and slow transmission shifts.

Is there a bulletin number or something more I can mention so I'm understood?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Brian

BW G8GT
12-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Did a search and found what I needed.

screw991le
12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
When I spoke over the phone to service tech at my local dealership about update, he had no idea what I was talking about. I mentioned the update corrects issues with hesitation and slow transmission shifts.

Is there a bulletin number or something more I can mention so I'm understood?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Brian

The Service bulletin was 08-07-30-036 for delayed downshift. TCM Program K5364.7

NYG8GT
12-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Is this something that I could take in to a dealer to have done while I wait if they werent super busy? I think I've read it only takes like an hour or so to do the flash?

BW G8GT
12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
The Service bulletin was 08-07-30-036 for delayed downshift. TCM Program K5364.7

Thanks for info

BW G8GT
12-16-2008, 08:18 AM
In another thread I noticed # 08150 Service update. Is this different than 08-07-30-036, that addresses another issues?

screw991le
12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
In another thread I noticed # 08150 Service update. Is this different than 08-07-30-036, that addresses another issues?

That is what my service receipt says. I complained, when the car down shifted it felt like the car could not decide what gear it wanted and it feels like it picked 2 gears before engaging. It only happened in D, In SD, it goes like a raped ape. :nah:

MGMG8GT
12-20-2008, 09:06 PM
They updated mine. Made a world of difference.

They updated it to 08-07-30-036.

NYG8GT
12-24-2008, 02:01 PM
So I went to the dealership today, and the service writer was a dick about it and swore up and down that the car had the update because it didnt show on the screen as needing it when they plugged in my VIN, and they said it looks like it already had it done and its against the law to sell the car without doing it. He tried telling me my car is too new for it and that this update absolutely did not apply to my car. However my car exhibits all the traits of a car that needs this update done so I think he was just being a prick. If anyone here works at a dealer, can you verify this for me? VIN is 6G2EC57Y48L140172, thanks!

screw991le
12-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Against the law :nud:

What they do should be against the law. Ask them if the # above is what they have done. When was your car built? You can see by looking at the door sticker.

roSSco
12-25-2008, 06:29 PM
So I went to the dealership today, and the service writer was a dick about it and swore up and down that the car had the update because it didnt show on the screen as needing it when they plugged in my VIN, and they said it looks like it already had it done and its against the law to sell the car without doing it. He tried telling me my car is too new for it and that this update absolutely did not apply to my car. However my car exhibits all the traits of a car that needs this update done so I think he was just being a prick. If anyone here works at a dealer, can you verify this for me? VIN is 6G2EC57Y48L140172, thanks!

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=106041&postcount=43

Service from the Big 3 sucks! These are just more examples. :poof:

NYG8GT
12-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Against the law :nud:

What they do should be against the law. Ask them if the # above is what they have done. When was your car built? You can see by looking at the door sticker.

I looked at the tag under the hood and it said it was built in January. There are a few things I found on the G8board thread that Im gonna print out that should help my case. That macgto dude took his in and got it done with no question, I dont see why I cant get the same treatment. We'll see what happens Saturday morning and how much I have to bitch to get shit done :flame: Im just bent that I was treated like a moron by the writer. The whole "its definitely not the transmission, it sounds like it could be something wrong with the motor or something along those lines" really chapped my ass. Dont f*cking tell me I dont know what a hunting transmission feels like or that I could get that confused for an unresponsive throttle. UGH :wacko: lol

Oh yeah, and I also brought up the 08-07-30-036 number and he said "well if it didnt come up in your vehicle history as an available item it was definitely done" but I really doubt it was. My car is exhibiting the same traits as those who have had the update done and had the chance to compare old vs new. Hell today I floored it from about 30 and it literally took about 3 seconds to downshift and go.

NYG8GT
12-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Ok so I went to the dealership this morning, and they said everything is perfectly normal and updated on my car. I told them I am getting a very noticeable lag during WOT downshifts from a slow speed and that the tranny seems to be hunting on downshifts after decelerating to go around a corner. I kept explaining how I feel the car needs the update but they swear up and down its ok. Is there something I can request from them to prove its updated? They gave me a printout that read the following saying its the Torque Management kicking in, which is BULLSHIT because the lag I am complaining about is more like 3 seconds, not .7 :finger:

#PIP4112G: Sag or Hesitation on Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristics) - keywords 4l60e 4l65e 4l70e 6l80 6l90 - (Aug 15, 2008)

Subject: Sag or Hesitation on Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristics)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

2006-2008 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2008 Pontiac G8

Equipped With a Gasoline Engine and Automatic Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superceded to updated to remove models. Please discard PIP4112G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a sag or hesitation when accelerating under the following conditions:

- When coasting with a closed throttle and then aggressively applying the throttle. Examples of this maneuver include a rolling stop or a lane change maneuver. In this type of maneuver, even though the accelerator is applied aggressively, the throttle blade is opened slowly for up to 0.7 seconds to help minimize driveline lash and clunking.

Also in a 6L80 or 6L90 (RPOs MYC or MYD) equipped vehicle when making a hard, complete stop with a closed throttle, immediately followed by an aggressive throttle opening the transmission downshifts may not be completed by the time the throttle is opened. As a result approximately 0.5 seconds of "zero" torque may be commanded to allow the shift to first gear to occur.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Both of the above conditions are a result of Torque Management and both of these conditions should be considered normal and no repairs should be attempted.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-11-2009, 08:51 AM
My dealer said my car had all the updates done by the other Pontiac dealer I bought it from. I don't know what it was like before the updates but I think it could be better.

The trans seems to have a long delay downshifting when I floor it, and the manual shifts seem to take way too long to happen sometimes. I did notice that the cold weather seems to affect the manual shifting time though, so that might be a factor.

After reading that problem about the leaking clutch pack seals, I'm thinking my trans could have that problem. It does work better in sport mode than when it's in drive, so I have been using that lately.

SRG963
01-11-2009, 12:55 PM
My dealer said my car had all the updates done by the other Pontiac dealer I bought it from. I don't know what it was like before the updates but I think it could be better.

The trans seems to have a long delay downshifting when I floor it, and the manual shifts seem to take way too long to happen sometimes. I did notice that the cold weather seems to affect the manual shifting time though, so that might be a factor.

After reading that problem about the leaking clutch pack seals, I'm thinking my trans could have that problem. It does work better in sport mode than when it's in drive, so I have been using that lately.

A tune really wakes this car up. I still have a bit of a lag when I come to a stop very quick and then try to hammer it again. Rolling into the throttle also helps out.

JMS
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
My car is at the dealer now for "Due Bill" stuff along with having the 55-65 mph vibration looked into. Got the call a few minutes ago that they are still working on figuring out the vibration after rotating and balancing the tires. BUT they did catch the service bulletin for the delayed downshifting and went ahead and updated that for me while it was there.
So far I am very happy with this dealership...no complaints...yet!

screw991le
01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
My car is at the dealer now for "Due Bill" stuff along with having the 55-65 mph vibration looked into. Got the call a few minutes ago that they are still working on figuring out the vibration after rotating and balancing the tires. BUT they did catch the service bulletin for the delayed downshifting and went ahead and updated that for me while it was there.
So far I am very happy with this dealership...no complaints...yet!

Curious, what tires do you have? RSAs are a huge complaint. They are not made for the car.

JMS
01-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Without the car being here for me to go look, all I know is that they are Bridgestone.

wwg8
01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Noticed talk about a free alignment before 7k. Is there a specific bulletin that I can print, or a number I can take to the dealer? I did a search but just came up with talk about the work.

Thanks!
Zach

GXPaycheck
02-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Noticed talk about a free alignment before 7k. Is there a specific bulletin that I can print, or a number I can take to the dealer? I did a search but just came up with talk about the work.

Thanks!
Zach

It's mentioned in a backwards sort of way in the Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet that came with your owners manual (pg. 8). It says that after 7500 miles rotation/balance is considered a maintenance item. Nobody at my dealership mentioned free alignment to me.
BTW, Zach, the chips look good. Can they handle heat, like on an intake?

wwg8
02-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Brian,

The powder is baked at about 375-400 degrees so I would suspect it shouldn't be a problem. Once that stuff cures it is tuff as crap.

I know my parts are just paint, and no problems with them. The upper part of the motor, I don't think gets much more than 3-400 degrees.

Did you say you had a heat reading gun? Have you ever tested to see how hot it was in that area? I could talk with the powder guys/manufacturer and see what they think if you can get a temp reading.

Zach

jeppsG8
02-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, I finally made it up to the dealer that actually treated like I know a little bit about what I speak. It took 4 different dealers until I found the one that would apply the TSB for TCM to my '08. The others either told me I didn't need it, it was already done, or they would need it overnight to duplicate the problem. This one took the car, let me drive it into the bay. They hooked it up to the wireless scanner/loader, and about 20 minutes later (while I checked out a Duramax head gasket job they were doing) it was done. I drove it out of the bay and WOW! What a tremendous difference in the shifting. No more gear hunting when I slow down for a corner or stop light. I was so happy I almost bought (and will tomorrow if they can steal the SRM GT from the other dealer) another G8 on the spot for my Dad.

Lesson learned ... not all dealer service depts are A-holes. Just the ones near me.

GXPaycheck
02-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Well, I finally made it up to the dealer that actually treated like I know a little bit about what I speak. It took 4 different dealers until I found the one that would apply the TSB for TCM to my '08. The others either told me I didn't need it, it was already done, or they would need it overnight to duplicate the problem. This one took the car, let me drive it into the bay. They hooked it up to the wireless scanner/loader, and about 20 minutes later (while I checked out a Duramax head gasket job they were doing) it was done. I drove it out of the bay and WOW! What a tremendous difference in the shifting. No more gear hunting when I slow down for a corner or stop light. I was so happy I almost bought (and will tomorrow if they can steal the SRM GT from the other dealer) another G8 on the spot for my Dad.

Lesson learned ... not all dealer service depts are A-holes. Just the ones near me.

Be sure to drop by the other dealers and tell them what REAL service is like!

GXPaycheck
02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Brian,

The powder is baked at about 375-400 degrees so I would suspect it shouldn't be a problem. Once that stuff cures it is tuff as crap.

I know my parts are just paint, and no problems with them. The upper part of the motor, I don't think gets much more than 3-400 degrees.

Did you say you had a heat reading gun? Have you ever tested to see how hot it was in that area? I could talk with the powder guys/manufacturer and see what they think if you can get a temp reading.

Zach

IR Thermometer don't go that high. But since other folks are getting intakes coated, I don't think it will be a problem.

BW G8GT
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Took my car in to local dealer this morning for an oil change and asked about the TCM update, even printed out the bulletin and brought it with me.

Service tech said the update wouldn't be applied unless it could be demonstrated that an issue with transmission is present. After the oil change their transmission repair tech and I will go for a ride to verify any issues with trans.

I've read on this board where other members didn't have to go through all these hassles to get the update. They simply showed the service tech the bulletin and if their VIN number was relevant to the bulletin the update was performed.

Service tech printed a Vehicle inquiry for my VIN number which listed "no service or campaigns" existed for my vehicle.

My vehicle does exhibit the symptoms related to bulletin. I guess the burden of proof is on me. I just wondering why it seems easy for some to get the update and others have to jump through hoops?

norm8332
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
You have to specifically complain about the problem.

Gman
03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
No. Get the update then the tune. The tune is changing certain calibration tables and the update changes a whole other set of tables.

Should I get my updated and then have VSM re-tune my again? :confused:

GEE8GEETEE
03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I wondered the same thing, but i think the VMS TCM tune includes the most recent updates already