PDA

View Full Version : Trunk latch problem

Krazyfive
01-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Hey guys I have been reading thru this forum since I got my g8 a little over a year ago. I have a question for y'all.

My car has run damn near perfect since I got it. No problems except for an aftermarket hid ballast. A few months ago my trunk stopped opening. Not with the glovebox button or remote. All the lights flash when using the remote but no actuator. Been use the cable to release. It has also been draining the battery. Now as far as troubleshooting this is where I am:

Removed and checked fuse. When it is reinstalled the latch opens once when power is first applied. Same happens when battery is installed.

Removed and tested button. Functioning correctly. Left out to check other circuit.

Swapped in a different body control module for testing only. No program. Hit remote release. Lights flash no acuator movement.

Bought new latch assembly from GM. Installed. When plugging in the acuator opens once. Not again.

Other than the obvious of ripping open the wire loom to check for frayed or touching wires does anyone have any other ideas?

I would love to be able open my trunk without having to crawl in the back seat to pull the cable. Not to mention having to keep a battery charger on it.

Btw when he battery was completely dead the trunk latch would not close and latch the trunk until it got power.

Thanks in advance.

Napalm
01-29-2016, 06:58 AM
On your last bit - did you try seeing if the new latch/actuator would close and latch without power. Because I would think that they should. I would hope it's not designed to only function mechanically when there is current on the actuator side.

have you looked at crazy paul's PDF pages of the schematics of the entire car? There might be a junction block and or relay that you should check first - but I almost sounds like somewhere in your car - on the unlock circuit - you have a grounded out + line that is draining the car. AND, causing faults in the system.

I assume - when you leave the battery hooked up - and you get in the car after an unlock, start the car. There is no warnings that come up saying security system fault from open ___________

IE if the hood latch sensor is not closing right - you'll go to unlock the car and it will honk and be pissy - on the DIC will be a security warning for HOOD. if a door lock is out of sync or something it honks extra and gets pissy. I assume your car is not doing any of that right now?

I would maybe check to see where there is a sensor for the trunk being latched closed - and see if that circuit is faulty. As is always open, or always closed.

Krazyfive
01-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Yes both latches function when disconnected.

Please share these pdf links. I wasn't aware of them. Haven't been able to find any.

There are no faults/warnings. The trunk close sensor functions as it should. Light comes on and turns off accordingly along with dic warnings.

Napalm
01-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Yes both latches function when disconnected.

Please share these pdf links. I wasn't aware of them. Haven't been able to find any.

There are no faults/warnings. The trunk close sensor functions as it should. Light comes on and turns off accordingly along with dic warnings.

it's a sticky in the electronics section.

http://www.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=33446