PDA

View Full Version : Startup malfunction and limp home mode

Napalm
01-22-2016, 12:37 PM
SO last night getting ready to drive home form work.

remote start the car - as usual - get in turn key.

put car out of park - ding dong, check engine light, contact dealer, Stability off, all flash up in seconds.

The clunk out of park was a little hard - has been that way for a few weeks now but it's also cold and that tends to go hand in hand. IIRC.

so engine sounds a bit funny - but I think that was me being paranoid. Car seemed to be suck in 2nd gear. 35mph was about 2300 rpm.

car drove fine other than being in one gear only - won't shift, won't free wheel to a stop. but made no other serious noises or additional noises.

get home turn off car - re-start. Same ding dong warnings. Without touching the gear lever.

waited till I got some time - went out and checked the comms fuse and the TCM fuse up in the front fuse box. both checked good.

started car - no lights no noise - drove pretty much fine. other than paranoid me.

Is it possible with the cold and wet - the TCM lost comms with the rest of the car? I didn't have my Hp tuners setup and I didn't get a code off of it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Markmsf3
01-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Someone on the other forum just posted he had almost the same thing happen to his. Had the dreaded big red x show up. Said it was super cold, in the minuses, he checked everything and seemed fine. After it warmed up some, started the car and everything was fine.

Napalm
01-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Good to know thanks. I was thinking maybe the voltage dropped just a bit - as I had just remote started it, and then got in and turned the key.

battery shows as 55% and it's a year and a half old (should last longer but meh)

norton13
01-22-2016, 03:57 PM
I have had my new & old battery at 55% after sitting for 2 weeks. I am still on my original battery on my GT it never gets past 71 %. I Do not really think that the % has no real meaning, when my battery died on my V6 it was showing over 70%.i have had my new battery once show 100 % , but usually always just over 70 %.

Napalm
01-24-2016, 09:30 AM
when my OE battery died the meter was just about spot on.

droped below 50 one day.

next week it was 35

week after it was 20 -

that saturday it almost left me stranded at Lowes - got it started, and went over to the sams club where I knew they had a battery of the right size. wouldn't start for me to get home. so I changed the battery right there in the sam's parking lot. with 3 people walking by telling me you know they'll do that right here.