PDA

View Full Version : Delete Mid-Muffler and Resonators

cms_ag
03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I have deleted the mid-muffler and resonators, replaced with an x-pipe that was made by a local shop.

Is there any relationship to decrease in mpg and this particular mod?

I have seen an average 5mpg decrease per tank since this was completed. Now it could be more spirited driving and more traffic on the daily commute, but is it possible this could actually hurt mileage.

In my mind breathing better would only help mpg, so I ask the experts.....

I have the original new era cai and cortex tuner 91 tune, running 93 gas.

GRRRR8
03-06-2009, 09:24 AM
It shouldnt. Usually the sound makes you drive more aggressive and that accounts for the loss in mpgs. Check your tune and A/F if it doesnt go back to normal when you go back to normal! :)

PantherGTBlack
03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I've been thinking about this same thing...I want to do an x-pipe myself.

Tommy K
03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Could be your driving... my mpg went up when I did this. Haven't had the logger on it yet though or any re-tune.

fwiw

EcoBrick Bob
03-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Are you sure that the installer didn"t drill a hole in your gas tank???

Or.. Do you need a tune with the mods you have done???

bigtreepu
03-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Are you sure that the installer didn"t drill a hole in your gas tank???

Or.. Do you need a tune with the mods you have done???

He has a tune....unless I read that wrong.
~Matt

cms_ag
03-09-2009, 05:16 AM
No hole in the gas tank, and I have a tune, but not specific to the mods. Using cortex tuner, so that could be it.

I need to log my air/fuel mixture and timing and see what that looks like.

JerzeyGT
03-09-2009, 05:37 AM
i have deleted the mid-muffler and resonators, replaced with an x-pipe that was made by a local shop.

:ttiwwp:

uh6tdrvr
03-14-2009, 07:31 PM
im really wanting to do this but dont know how its going to sound or run. Anyone have a youtube clip or anything? I am stock and am just trying to make a little more power not really awhole lot alot louder.

EcoBrick Bob
03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
No hole in the gas tank, and I have a tune, but not specific to the mods. Using cortex tuner, so that could be it.

I need to log my air/fuel mixture and timing and see what that looks like.

I have a similar exhaust setup on 08' (h-pipe instead of x-pipe replaced center muffler). Mileage was fine until I moved R.F. CAI to 09' and installed stock airbox on 08' - which also has a VMS 93 tune. Mileage seems to have gone in the dumper.. Sorry about the kidding about hole in tank...

Think the tunes are definitely sensitive to mods. Also could be fuel... Gasohol
(supposedly 10% ethanol) can really vary your mileage. Have been using in in Iowa for over 20 years...

If you find out anything interesting, let us know..

-Ray-
03-15-2009, 03:29 AM
im really wanting to do this but dont know how its going to sound or run. Anyone have a youtube clip or anything? I am stock and am just trying to make a little more power not really awhole lot alot louder.

You won't find the power in the exhaust system unless you add headers. A CAI and a tune is your best chance at finding usable power.

uh6tdrvr
03-15-2009, 06:38 AM
what about the sound though??? hows it sound?