PDA

View Full Version : Dexron VI? How to tell?

Blackdevil77
03-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Is there a way to check what kind of fluid is in the transmission? Does Dexron VI have a specific color? I went to a local mechanic who is also friends with my dad. I was right there when He checked my fluid level and to my surprise, seemed just fine. The color of the fluid was an orange or brown but it wasn't burnt and looked pretty clean. Then I checked the Dexron VI in the bottle I bought and it was red. Maybe the dealer didn't put Dexron VI in the tranny. Is there a way to tell without just assuming and replacing all the fluid?

ronbuick
03-06-2009, 05:45 AM
It is Dexron 6 and it is red in the bottle, how did it smell when he checked the fluid?
So why change the new fluid from Dexron 3 to a 6, well I have heard it is because
chrysler had their ATF+4, and Ford had Mercon-5, so not to confuse anyone, GM called it Dexron 6
Ron

GRRRR8
03-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Dex 6 has is rated at 120% better minimum in almost every catagory when being compared to Dex 3. Also it has friction modifiers that Dex 3 does NOT have. That theory of dump this additive in the fluid and it makes it the same is a joke. I recently proved this to 2 different companies that sell the additives when a Honda in for maintenance shifted hard and once flushed with ZF Honda fluid and the issue was gone. Trans fluid is not what it use to be. Many manufacturers require specific fluids now. CVT types transmissions get ruined everyday due to incorrect fluids being out in.

ronbuick
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Grrrr8, I did forget to mention the difference you spoke off, I was giving a tutorial of why it was called Dexron 6 and not Dexron 4 and then left out the most important part, the diff. between the two, and also Dex. 6 has to be used if that is what is called for, and it is backwards compatible ONLY.

Ron

GRRRR8
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Grrrr8, I did forget to mention the difference you spoke off, I was giving a tutorial of why it was called Dexron 6 and not Dexron 4 and then left out the most important part, the diff. between the two, and also Dex. 6 has to be used if that is what is called for, and it is backwards compatible ONLY.

Ron

I knew that you knew Ron. :)

BluYa76
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I love the stuff and have been using it since it came out. I swapped over the fluid in my 02 GTP and my 03 TB.

Blackdevil77
03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
It is Dexron 6 and it is red in the bottle, how did it smell when he checked the fluid?
So why change the new fluid from Dexron 3 to a 6, well I have heard it is because
chrysler had their ATF+4, and Ford had Mercon-5, so not to confuse anyone, GM called it Dexron 6
Ron

smelled ok. nothing seemed burnt.