PDA

View Full Version : I hear of G8 paint issues?

Paniller
03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Can anyone elaborate on the G8 paint issues, if there are any? What do I look for, and is it covered under warranty? I recall hearing that many people had problems with the paint.

Mine has a few chips, which I consider normal. However, I'm noticing some "lifts" in the paint on the rear bumper. It almost looks like the paint is lifting off the panel in some spots, like they painted over dirt specs and now it's separating. Other than that, just some swirling.

r33pwrd
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
mine has a finger print in the rear paint... wtf? dealer says they wont warranty it??

BSmith
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
My front bumper has chips in it. I wouldn't consider it normal wear though. There is no reason for a bug to hit it, me wash the car the same day, and the paint be screwed up. What's worse is the rest of the car is fine. Sounds like a paint problem to me.

Also, it looks like my front and rear bumpers are a different shade of white vs the rest of the car.

My gas cap has some like weird bumps in it too. I bought the car used so I don't know if that is the previous owner or GM though.

-Ray-
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm getting my front bumper cover re-painted. I have some slight pebble damage on it, that should not be there. Paint is too soft, maybe no epoxy in the clear coat. Anyway, I scratched it on the right side. My headlights are being replaced because of dirt inside, and it'll save them the labor to do both at the same time.

MAYBEN
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
mine has a finger print in the rear paint... wtf? dealer says they wont warranty it??

are you shittin me?

r33pwrd
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
are you shittin me?

yep.. I think thats what it is.. looks like its in the clear coat? im gonna try another dealership but I know they wont fix it correctly anyways.

MAYBEN
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Mine better not have these problems when i get it, or ever for that matter

norm8332
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I feel the paint is a bit thin. The clear should have been thicker.

GM_Fan
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Paint issues were common on the GTO as well. Often referred to as water coloring.

I had a inclusion on my gas fill cover (the dealer said they would make it right, but never did.) and a big scuff mark that the dealer was able to rub out with some kind of glaze.

majesticix
03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I just rubbed bumpers with an 07 Grand Prix on the highway today. Luckily no serious damage, just some minor scratches on the bumper. What can I expect (and should) pay for the front bumper to be repainted? Anyone who has already had some work done on their bumper, feel free to chime in!

JoeSyko
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM

+1

Gman
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Can anyone elaborate on the G8 paint issues, if there are any? What do I look for, and is it covered under warranty? I recall hearing that many people had problems with the paint.

Mine has a few chips, which I consider normal. However, I'm noticing some "lifts" in the paint on the rear bumper. It almost looks like the paint is lifting off the panel in some spots, like they painted over dirt specs and now it's separating. Other than that, just some swirling.
My front and rear fascia do not match. Every other piece does perfectly even the hood vents. The paint is so thin that it doesn't match. Thats why everyone gets rock chips in the front.

WTF is right! I would get a dealer rep to look at your car, if no one covers it. I have one coming out to look at my (fingers crossed). I recall someone on the other board said they had a Chevy dealer re-paint his under warranty.

I just rubbed bumpers with an 07 Grand Prix on the highway today. Luckily no serious damage, just some minor scratches on the bumper. What can I expect (and should) pay for the front bumper to be repainted? Anyone who has already had some work done on their bumper, feel free to chime in!
If my doesn't get covered under warranty, then I got a good place that will fully re-paint my and blend the paint if needed so it looks like one piece. Front & rear are about $340ea done perfectly...like a show car paint job.

G8GT594
03-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Also, it looks like my front and rear bumpers are a different shade of white vs the rest of the car.

Same here, i was talking to a body shop guy the other day and he said its the additives used in the paint to make it "flex" without cracking.

PostalCherokee
03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I have some chips on my front bumper as well, it shows up bad on these white cars.

PantherGTBlack
03-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Agreed! My mom's x5 is pretty much the same color as our PBM and it has hardly any chips and you can easily tell the clear on the x5 is much, much thicker.

PantherGTBlack
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
My front and rear fascia do not match. Every other piece does perfectly even the hood vents. The paint is so thin that it doesn't match. Thats why everyone gets rock chips in the front.

WTF is right! I would get a dealer rep to look at your car, if no one covers it. I have one coming out to look at my (fingers crossed). I recall someone on the other board said they had a Chevy dealer re-paint his under warranty.

If my doesn't get covered under warranty, then I got a good place that will fully re-paint my and blend the paint if needed so it looks like one piece. Front & rear are about $340ea done perfectly...like a show car paint job.

Shoot me the info. for that shop. Thanks.

BSmith
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Same here, i was talking to a body shop guy the other day and he said its the additives used in the paint to make it "flex" without cracking.

That's why every other manufacturer can make it happen without the color differences. ;)

The bumpers have to be sprayed at a different time than the rest of the car. I'm assuming that the "You'll never mix the same batch twice" theory is true.

I'm going to bring it up at the next warranty claim. Worse comes to worse I'll let the problems pile up and just get them taken care of at once. I have a body shop that will match it right when that time comes.

Joe Weinstein
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
My right rear quarter panel (silver '09) had a streak of very thin paint, showing
white primer, which I noticed during the delivery inspection. They painted it
under warranty before I picked it up.

Gman
03-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Shoot me the info. for that shop. Thanks.

Are you planning on coming up from FT. Wayne for body work?

gearhead455
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
So I took the day off because it was in the fifties today and I'm wiping her down with a microfiber towel, (I just picked her up 2 weeks ago) and notice the clear coat is not "slippery",you would think a new car would be smooth as a babies butt,but I thought you weren't supposed to wax a new paint job for 6 months? maybe the DuPont paint sealant treatment is the way to go? what about the clay bar?

Gman
03-06-2009, 06:13 PM
So I took the day off because it was in the fifties today and I'm wiping her down with a microfiber towel, (I just picked her up 2 weeks ago) and notice the clear coat is not "slippery",you would think a new car would be smooth as a babies butt,but I thought you weren't supposed to wax a new paint job for 6 months? maybe the DuPont paint sealant treatment is the way to go? what about the clay bar?

My was like sand paper and had spots.

Its very important to do the 3 step system, its how your paint should be.

Meguiar's Deep Crystal System- Step 1 Paint Cleaner- Step 2 Polish- Step 3 Camauba Wax

gearhead455
03-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I'll look into it,thanks.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/thumbsup.gif

-Ray-
03-07-2009, 04:06 AM

Remember this car was shipped by boat from OZ. Then shipped from a port on the West coast to the East coast. Plenty of opportunity for stuff to settle into the paint.
Check out Adam's vendor forum on this web site.
You will most likely have to clay bar. I did on mine. The 6 month rule no longer applies to clear coat. After the paint cures for a few days, it's as hard as it's going to get.

gearhead455
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks Ray,will do.

Biggeo
03-07-2009, 07:26 PM
My paint looks good, but chips off if I breathe on it. Wax the hell out of this car and you'll be better off.

breakinparts
05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I got a rock chip on my hood. I was PISSED... Car had 8k miles on it. I agree, WAY too thin of paint on the front.

JerzeyGT
05-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Meguiar's Deep Crystal System- Step 1 Paint Cleaner- Step 2 Polish- Step 3 Camauba Wax

Is it me or is it a little of a pain in the ass to get the meguiar's waxes off

BigRob
05-11-2009, 02:07 PM

and CLAY BAR! makes a world of difference.

Panzer Leader
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Is it me or is it a little of a pain in the ass to get the meguiar's waxes off

Read directions carefully. Do a small area at a time. I have used the three step system and its OK. The other system I like is the Liquid Glass in a metal can. Its the old polycoat system. NOTHING STICKS TO IT.