PDA

View Full Version : Gm's Extended Warr.

Gearhead99
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi: If GM goes bankrupt what happens to everyone's extended warranties in the USA and Canada?Who has underwritten these warranties? I'm thinking it would be a good idea to hold off on buying one from GM until it is determined whether they survive the current crisis.Opinions as usual thanks

r33pwrd
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
im sure a bankrupcy court would make sure the consumer was taken care off.... GM is not going anywhere! way to big and to "american" to ever let dissapear...

EC-Ryder
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I suppose the extra insurance they try to sell you would have to cover you, but if not they would provide third party repair insurance like you see advertised on tv for used cars, and those of us who already bought our cars could still get it if we were concerned about it.

I myself dread going to the stealership and avoid it like the plague whenever possible…So I don’t lose sleep over it, nor would it keep me from buying a GM vehicle, if the price is right.

Cheers!

Panzer Leader
04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
THE PREZ SAYS NOT TO FEAR! The U.S. government will honor all warranties. Please call ahead to the White House to arrange warranty work. No oil changes on Saturdays.

piecesparts
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Now I am scared... The Prez is going to ensure that the warranties are covered. Those guys can't do what we hired them for, and now they are going to warranty cars. HA HA

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Yup, It is now Government Motors.

Adam
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
A tire rotation is $56,000 in gov't labor so they will just total the car. Hope you have GAP insurance!

SLA
04-28-2009, 02:50 AM
THE PREZ SAYS NOT TO FEAR! The U.S. citizen will honor all warranties. Please call ahead to the White House to arrange warranty work. No oil changes on Saturdays.

fixed :(

GRRRR8
04-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Any GM dealer will be able to service your vehicle.

jimmyban
04-28-2009, 06:42 AM
THE PREZ SAYS NOT TO FEAR! The U.S. government will honor all warranties. Please call ahead to the White House to arrange warranty work. No oil changes on Saturdays.

Sure, for single-filing taxpayers making less than $75k and families making less than $100k....LOL

gearhead455
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I have the 6 year bumper to bumper,($18 more a month but worth it IMO)

It is backed by GM not a third party insurance co.

GM is not going out of biddness.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/CgarSmoker.gif

jadesboutique
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I also purchased the extended warranty 5 yr/100k - The dealer doesnt seem to know anything about the letter I got today and my salesperson isnt returning my calls. It's from "warranty solutions" It states that while processing my vehicle service contract it was determined the vehicle does not meet their underwriting guidelines and is ineligible for coverage. It also states "Dealer is set up for a program year that is not valid for the application form"
It tells me to contact the dealer for more coverage options. Now I Thought the extended warranty was through GM directly and not a 3rd party?? I'm trying to see if this a scam letter which it seems like it is but why is it telling me to contact the dealer? or did the dealer scam me? ugh.
Anyone else happen to get a letter like this?

'02 ws6
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Sounds pretty fishy to me. I got the extended 5/100k as well, and was always under the impression it was a GM dealing and not 3rd party. There's plenty of documentation to support your claim, so if need be, look into it further.

jadesboutique
05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Yup I looked at the paperwork and it was 3rd party warranty not GM. I didn't think to ask at the dealer I didn't know they sold 3rd party warranties, it was my first new car purchase, so rookie mistake I guess lol Luckily they denied it lol So now to see if they will give my $$ back somehow or switch it to the GM warranty, waiting to hear back. I'm kind of glad the 3rd party denied it.

gearhead455
05-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Yup I looked at the paperwork and it was 3rd party warranty not GM. I didn't think to ask at the dealer I didn't know they sold 3rd party warranties, it was my first new car purchase, so rookie mistake I guess lol Luckily they denied it lol So now to see if they will give my $$ back somehow or switch it to the GM warranty, waiting to hear back. I'm kind of glad the 3rd party denied it.

Why the dealer offered that BS 3rd party crap and not the GM warranty is beyond me,demand your $ back.

Panzer Leader
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I will check with my dealer tomorrow. I requested the GM 5 year 75k bumper to bumper warranty. It is through GMAC called Major Guard (sound familiar?)

RobertHammen
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
The only useful warranty to have is the GM Major Guard ones. The aftermarket ones are often fly-by-night companies which go under (Google Warranty Gold, 1SourceAutoWarranty, et. al.).

I've bought GMPP's from this company - they discount significantly. Do some research, and you can try to get your dealership to offer competitive pricing (G8 is a "Class C" vehicle):

http://www.gmoutlet.com/emailserver/quote/mg/09mgc.htm