PDA

View Full Version : Maggie install questions

MtbDoc
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
BlownChevy, Andy, others with experience: a few questions

1 - Crank pulley: need an air wrench to get it off? This is what is showed in the manual and Blown's pictures

2 - Drilling to pin crank: will a standard plug-in electrical drill fit? The pics show a pneumatic drill which is NOT standard issue in my garage at home!

3 - Crank pulley reinstall: angle meter; where do you find one of these? Lube the threads first?

Otherwise this all looks very simple and straightforward from the Magna manual online. I appreciate the thoughts

GeorgeInNePa
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
BlownChevy, Andy, others with experience: a few questions

1 - Crank pulley: need an air wrench to get it off? This is what is showed in the manual and Blown's pictures

2 - Drilling to pin crank: will a standard plug-in electrical drill fit? The pics show a pneumatic drill which is NOT standard issue in my garage at home!

3 - Crank pulley reinstall: angle meter; where do you find one of these? Lube the threads first?

Otherwise this all looks very simple and straightforward from the Magna manual online. I appreciate the thoughts

1 and 3...You don't just use the stock pulley?

wreckwriter
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
1 and 3...You don't just use the stock pulley?

On mine there is the stock pulley then another one, all held together with a longer bolt. I expect Maggie is similar.

norm8332
03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
You have to remove only the bolt and drill and pin the crank/pulley. The pulley doesn't have to be removed. I've seen recommendations for the use of an impact wrench to break the bolt loose.

MtbDoc
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
The stock bolt is removed, there is a guide mounted in order to drill & ream 2 holes and then pins are driven in. A new crank bolt is installed which requires 35 ft-lbs and then 140deg further tightening. That is the basis of my questions...

...so, what about it to those whom have actually done this install!

GeorgeInNePa
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
On mine there is the stock pulley then another one, all held together with a longer bolt. I expect Maggie is similar.

Ah, I see. The add-on is what drives the blower belt?

wreckwriter
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Ah, I see. The add-on is what drives the blower belt?

Yup. Had to lose my underdrive pulley because the add-on interlocks with the stock pulley.

Steve
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the maggie runs off the stock pulley and just a longer belt (hence why you cant use an UDP )

GeorgeInNePa
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
The stock bolt is removed, there is a guide mounted in order to drill & ream 2 holes and then pins are driven in. A new crank bolt is installed which requires 35 ft-lbs and then 140deg further tightening. That is the basis of my questions...

...so, what about it to those whom have actually done this install!

I misunderstood your post, I thought you were removing the pulley, you are just taking off the bolt to drill the keyways for the pins.

If you have a flywheel holder, you won't need an impact gun.

If you don't have a way of safely holding the flywheel, then a strong impact gun will get it done. You will need to remove the fans to have enough room to work. With the Maggie install, do you have to drain the cooling system? If so, remove the rad as well, if not well... roll the dice.

As far as the angle gauge, you could always just buy the ARP crank pulley bolt and torque it to 240ft-lbs. That's the same as the TTY bolt's ft-lbs. plus degrees.

As far as drilling the crank snout/pulley, that part I haven't done, the other parts are the same as replacing the pulley itself.

MtbDoc
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Magnasson supplies a GM bolt. The stock pulley is used; coolant is drained and fans are removed. I am not sure how much more work it is to remove the radiator once everything else is already off the car.

I am simply reference BC's install thread and the Maggie site install manual. BC says it is an easy driveway install, which it appears to be. I am trying to clarify these few issues first, as I really don't want to get going and then realize that I need a couple of tools that I would have been better at my friend's shop...

...as I have a funny little surprise. The shop where I usually do the work (and where all the GTO mods except stereo have been done...stereo in my garage) is fine, but I haven't told my friend about the Maggie. I will simply invite him to lunch, go pick him up, and then PIN him to the seat! Silly old fart that I am...

GeorgeInNePa
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I would suggest a flywheel holder, unless you have someone who can get under the car and hold the flywheel while you torque the bolt.

They aren't that expensive.

MtbDoc
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Uh, yeah...the angle is NOT tough. Had a little of that as an engineer during my undergrad days! Flywheel holder, huh? Didn't realize that you needed such things with an automatic. Funny that the install instructions say NOTHING about it.

STILL waiting for input from the guys that have actually done these things.

-Ray-
03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
EDIT: Since I've never installed a Maggie, previous posts by me are removed.

GeorgeInNePa
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Uh, yeah...the angle is NOT tough. Had a little of that as an engineer during my undergrad days! Flywheel holder, huh? Didn't realize that you needed such things with an automatic. Funny that the install instructions say NOTHING about it.

STILL waiting for input from the guys that have actually done these things.

There is nothing to stop the crank from turning. The parking pawl will stop the driveshaft from turning, but it has no effect on the flywheel/converter.

Since the G8 (and the Maggie for it) are still really new, you might be one of the first to end user install a Maggie.

You might give them a call or PM one of the Livernois guys here for tips and tricks. Or just wait, I'm sure one of them will see this and comment.

:)

GRRRR8
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Almost impossible to get a flywheel holder on our engines, BUT you can get a balancer holder for it. Summit racing has one pretty cheap and it does work!

MtbDoc
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, my next observation is that the instructions say nothing about injectors. I was assuming that there were new, larger injectors already installed on the blower/fuel rails. Turns out not (it is sitting in a box in my garage tonight!!!). So Magna forgot to mention the removal OR install in their instructions. Not a big deal, but that's why I thought that they were already there. The ATI Procharger came with them so I thought that this did as well. Obviously turning the boost up much will require injectors as well.

As far as the flywheel, a little birdie whispered in my ear that a BIG screwdriver in the inspection hole in the cover will suffice! Not something to be stated too loudly. And basically to just CRANK DOWN on the flywheel bolt as hard as possible...although with the pinning of the crank, it probably isn't as crucial as without.

As I have said, other than dealing with the crank pinning this install looks to be VERY simple. Far easier than stuff I've done in the past.

Just shot a little black paint on the water radiator. Don't want the shiny aluminum visible.

Weather forecast: 70's Fri-Sun. Going to be busy between some long bike rides and a Maggie install...but it should be fairly straightforward.

Andy@Livernois
03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, my next observation is that the instructions say nothing about injectors. I was assuming that there were new, larger injectors already installed on the blower/fuel rails. Turns out not (it is sitting in a box in my garage tonight!!!). So Magna forgot to mention the removal OR install in their instructions. Not a big deal, but that's why I thought that they were already there. The ATI Procharger came with them so I thought that this did as well. Obviously turning the boost up much will require injectors as well.

As far as the flywheel, a little birdie whispered in my ear that a BIG screwdriver in the inspection hole in the cover will suffice! Not something to be stated too loudly. And basically to just CRANK DOWN on the flywheel bolt as hard as possible...although with the pinning of the crank, it probably isn't as crucial as without.

As I have said, other than dealing with the crank pinning this install looks to be VERY simple. Far easier than stuff I've done in the past.

Just shot a little black paint on the water radiator. Don't want the shiny aluminum visible.

Weather forecast: 70's Fri-Sun. Going to be busy between some long bike rides and a Maggie install...but it should be fairly straightforward.

Yeah, the Maggie doesn't come with the injectors normally, it's something we add into the kits we order from them... As far as the crank pinning kit... We have always used an air drill, but at the very least a corded drill (or HIGH power cordless) would work since the bit they supply is pretty darned sharp... as far as the tightening of the bolt, I will have to check with the guys in the back, but I think we have a special tool we made to lock it into place...

We are almost finished with Norm's install (well, actually it's mechanically done, just needs a tune now ;) ) I would check with our mechanic in back, but here are some of the tips I have from watching the install from start to finish today.

1. There are 2 bolts that are nigh impossible to access easily when bolting the blower down, simply remove the rails and use a wrench on these.

2. when you fire it up you will probably hear what sounds like a vacuum leak. It isn't, the blower pulls out crankcase pressure from the drivers side valve cover, and it pulls a good amount of air, making it sound like a leak, when it really isn't

those are really the only 2 things I saw that aren't really covered in the directions that you might run into.

Have fun :woohoo:

norm8332
03-05-2009, 05:09 AM
:woohoo:

BSmith
03-05-2009, 06:45 AM
We used a cordless drill on a Procharger install. Worked out fine.

sacsrpc
03-05-2009, 08:01 AM
If you do not have a torque angle meter just draw a vertical line on the bolt after you d the intial torque down. Tighten the bolt until the vertical line moves 140 degrees. Like a clock hand going from 12 o clock to 4 o clock.

As long as the weather holds out I will be doing my maggie install this weekend too!

confused2much
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm so jealous.

MtbDoc
03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Almost impossible to get a flywheel holder on our engines, BUT you can get a balancer holder for it. Summit racing has one pretty cheap and it does work!

Charlie, the only Summit balancer holder I'm seeing is for Chrysler products. Are these things fairly standard? I assume it just has some dowels/pins that fit into holes in the balancer...but what then holds it?

Angles for tightening aren't an issue for me. And it looks like the drilling won't be an issue.

Finally: thinking about all of the blowby and other crud these things create, I am thinking of holding off until I can get a catch can as well. Might as well put it in the car at the same time. I know the boosted LS2 needs it. Are you other Maggie guys doing that as well?

MtbDoc
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Well, I got about 2.5 hrs in on the car today. Basically did all of the "taking apart" stuff. Fairly straightforward, although releasing the hidden clips for the nose piece was a pain in the rear.

Tomorrow I will ATTEMPT to remove the crank bolt, pin the pulley, and reinstall a new bolt. Mrs MtbDoc has agreed to get up under the car and hold the prybar up in the flywheel while I try to break the bolt loose (and retighten). From there, it really isn't too big of a deal.

I will be trying to figure out the best way to connect the catchcan. It almost seems like it needs two: both of the valve covers have breathers; or at least T them in together. For starters, I will be using a compressor filter from Lowes...it is painted their "Kobalt" blue. Ehhh...who cares...

On another note: I took the car to the dealer today to get the tranny reflashed before doing all of this. It's about 40 miles away so I hadn't gotten around to doing it. Shifts much better, that's for sure. I am curious to see what the Magna / Superchips tranny tune feels like.

Alright boys and girls...that's the report for tonight. Okay, I have now re-established communication with photobucket, so here goes:

Here is last Sunday as we're heading to church. Mrs MtbDoc has already gotten into her side!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/IMG_0094.jpg

These are the car as it sits tonight.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/IMG_0112.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/IMG_0113.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/IMG_0114.jpg

And that about covers it!

Featherburner
03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Charlie, the only Summit balancer holder I'm seeing is for Chrysler products. Are these things fairly standard? I assume it just has some dowels/pins that fit into holes in the balancer...but what then holds it?
I built my own pulley holder out of some 1/4" plate, a plasma cutter and 3 bolts. It wasn't very hard and took about 20 minutes. I used a strap wrench around the underdrive pulley when I reinstalled the new bolt. Good luck with your install.

MtbDoc
03-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Arrggggh! The drill doesn't fit between the radiator and the pulley. I hate to go buy a short-handle drill for one use. I thought I'd just pull the radiator, but it does NOT appear to come out easily. There is a tranny cooler built into the bottom of it, and I really don't want to screw around with trying to remove all of those lines. There just isn't enough room for either my cordless or corded drill.

Once I got enough leverage, it wasn't hard to get the stock bolt out. Mrs MtbDoc dutifully stuffed a crowbar up into the flywheel.

Time out: it is a beautiful day, so we're heading out for a 4.5 hr bike ride on our tandem. Maintain some balance and priorities!

GeorgeInNePa
03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Arrggggh! The drill doesn't fit between the radiator and the pulley. I hate to go buy a short-handle drill for one use. I thought I'd just pull the radiator, but it does NOT appear to come out easily. There is a tranny cooler built into the bottom of it, and I really don't want to screw around with trying to remove all of those lines. There just isn't enough room for either my cordless or corded drill.

Once I got enough leverage, it wasn't hard to get the stock bolt out. Mrs MtbDoc dutifully stuffed a crowbar up into the flywheel.

Time out: it is a beautiful day, so we're heading out for a 4.5 hr bike ride on our tandem. Maintain some balance and priorities!

How about a right angle adapter for the drill?

Lowe's and Home Depot usually carry them in the tools section.

I bought one years ago for some project, IIRC, it was less than $20.

SLVRG8GT
03-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Good luck with the install. Looking forward to doing my own in the near future. :)

wreckwriter
03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
How about a right angle adapter for the drill?

Lowe's and Home Depot usually carry them in the tools section.

I bought one years ago for some project, IIRC, it was less than $20.

+1. I used this to install my shaft loop on ramps. Couldn't have done it without it.

MtbDoc
03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Back from the ride (we cut it short!)...I can't find anything online at Lowes or HD. I could go to the store I suppose, but I just hate to spend the rest of the day running around trying to find a drill or adapter. Any pictures or actual online link to one of these stores would REALLY be appreciated. Or Sears...Advance Auto...etc.

GeorgeInNePa
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
One of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/0307091507.jpg

Sears might have it, Harbor Freight, etc.

wreckwriter
03-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I got mine at Lowes, looks similar to the pic George posted but has a handle too.

GeorgeInNePa
03-07-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926333000P?mv=rr

MtbDoc
03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Just got back from Lowes...sure enough, they had one. It doesn't show up online thought, which is why I was bummed. Okay, back outside.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT, GUYS!

BlownG8GT
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Finally got my password........

Post up some pics of your progress....I pmed you my mobile number if you have any questions.

BigV8
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Sounds like how mine would go. lol

BlownG8GT
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM
its not that bad....after you are done, you stand back and say "shit, that was not that hard".

I cannot wait to see the pics!

MtbDoc
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Contrary to plans, I did NOT get to crank the car today. There are some issues with the install and instructions that cost a lot of time. Undoing and redoing things...I will be providing feedback to Magna about it.

Overall, the way that the kit interfaces with the car is excellent; positioning of various elements works well, and nothing feels 'forced'. Given the physical structure of the blower, there are issues that I have been fighting, but it's more one-time sorts of crap.

Basically, I have everything done except:

Wire up the intercooler pump
Connect the stock air box (considering implementing the lower panel mod at this time)
Connect the PCV system...which entails a catch can or two. I certainly do NOT want LSx intake oil syndrome to spoil my fun
Reinstall bumper cover, lower piece, wheel well liners
Reflash the computer

It has taken longer than I anticipated (question: when working on cars, what DOESN'T???), but I like how it is coming together.

Time for grilled chicken dinner and wind down time prior to going back to work!

GeorgeInNePa
03-08-2009, 05:08 PM
How did the angle adapter work with drilling the balancer?

MtbDoc
03-09-2009, 03:02 AM
How did the angle adapter work with drilling the balancer?

Fine! Plenty of room, but getting FORWARD pressure on the bit was a little tough due to the constraints of holding both drill and adapter. Push, pull back, apply oil, repeat.

MtbDoc
03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Tonight I was able to wire up the intercooler pump circuit and install the intake pipe. PCV temporarily connected (needs catch can)...

First, I want to thank Mrs MtbDoc. Not only did she NOT get mad when I ordered the Maggie, but even helped me wrestle it into place. Great assistant! Then again, a women who was thrilled when I bought her a WRX for her birthday when they first came to America in 2001 is OBVIOUSLY a keeper!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/Automotive/G8/IMG_0122.jpg

So, here it is in all of its glory:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/Automotive/G8/IMG_0130.jpg

Slightly closer view:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/MTBDOC/Automotive/G8/IMG_0131.jpg

I haven't put the front body panels back on yet...and I'm getting an airbag error code. Probably unplugged something that I shouldn't have. But we took a quick tool around the neighborhood (in the dark...and no headlights due to the plugs being unhooked). Makes funny whiny noises!

So, there it is. More to come about my thoughts on the install, and further about the performance when it's back together (might be a few days until I have time and day light).

norm8332
03-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Looks good.

MtbDoc
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
What do you think of yours? Having fun???

Hopefully I will have the time tonight to put my front end back on (and rotate the tires). It should be easier to do WITHOUT the front wheels on the car. Those inner fender liners are NO FUN.

99-LS1-SS
03-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Congrats MtbDoc! You're getting close.

norm8332
03-10-2009, 11:21 AM
What do you think of yours? Having fun???

Hopefully I will have the time tonight to put my front end back on (and rotate the tires). It should be easier to do WITHOUT the front wheels on the car. Those inner fender liners are NO FUN.

Not yet, but i will be!! It's still at Livernois in MI (i'm in NY). I had it done the lazy way.

I am happy and got the numbers I was expecting. But it seems that the stock exhaust does hold it back a bit. I wanted full stealth, but I think I"m going to look into LT headers to let it breath more freely.

My car had snow tires on it when it was on the dyno and it was spinning the tires. I can imagine that on the street. I have to get them off and save them for next year. At $200 each they would make expensive smoke..

G8GT594
03-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Not yet, but i will be!! It's still at Livernois in MI (i'm in NY). I had it done the lazy way.

I am happy and got the numbers I was expecting. But it seems that the stock exhaust does hold it back a bit. I wanted full stealth, but I think I"m going to look into LT headers to let it breath more freely.

Im impressed as well, but if you go with LTs im out of options.. i gotta stay ahead of you guys LOL.

MtbDoc
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Got home quickly from my office and finished up: rotated the tires (removing the front tires makes dealing with the front fascia a LOT easier) and reinstalled the front end. Moved a couple of clamps around (on the intercooler reservoir...it had a bit of a drip). I had unplugged a sensor on the front of the car by accident, and so I was getting an airbag fault warning! That was simple...

Brief drive up and down the road...TORQUE! Unfortunately, the shifting is HORRIBLE (I honestly think that the MagnaCharger tranny tune is more sluggish than it was after the factory reflash it had last week) so there is MUCH hesitation when you step on it. Kind of feels like turbo lag or something. Drop it manually down a few gears and THEN hit it and BOOM. The low end is really something.

I'll need more time out with the car to give a more complete report...but the install procedure is not bad at all. I will post some suggestions to the installation manual.

GeorgeInNePa
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Im impressed as well, but if you go with LTs im out of options.. i gotta stay ahead of you guys LOL.

Start saving your money, for a stroker bottom end or a set of twins.

RJ'sMgnchrgedG8
03-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm getting mine installed early next week. I can't wait!

RJ