PDA

View Full Version : AT to MT swap in the GT

Goose
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering, and I've looked through this forum for about 20 min., and couldn't find anything, would it be possible to swap out the AT for a Tremec T56 mt, or a TR-6060? Are either one of them compatible with the bolt pattern, size etc.? the T56 is used on the Commodore, in Convictland. It seems Logical, that same there = same here.

That would be one of the only mods I would want to do, other than K&N, Magnaflow Xpipe Duals, and maybe some pulley stuff, but I want the warranty somewhat intact (obviously the transmission is out the window, but tremec has its own)

The website doesn't have any prices for one, and the only way to find them would be to go a tranny dealer in my area....

the work wouldn't take my buddy and I more that 2 days, so its pretty feasible.

:Canada:
Goose

UGotSmkd
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Not with AFM.

Blackrider
03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Not with AFM.

Thats the easy part.

Anything possible with enough money.

TheTugBoat
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Are the gearboxes backwards in AUS? something I never knew the answer to.

p71
03-04-2009, 03:28 AM
shift pattern is the same on almost all cars... has been standardised for years...

by that I mean left and up is first...

nathan600r
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
The website doesn't have any prices for one, and the only way to find them would be to go a tranny dealer in my area....

the work wouldn't take my buddy and I more that 2 days, so its pretty feasible.

This isn't a turbo 350 to T5 for a third gen camaro.

GotMyG8V8
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
From the GXP I just saw at an autoshow it's all the way to the left, closest to you is Reverse, then 1,2,3,4,5,6 up, down left to right as normal. I would love to be able to do the switch over, but i know i'll never have the money to do it.

r33pwrd
03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
just buy a GXP for the money I think it would make more sence... the tranny alone must be 4-6K ?? plus pedal assembly... center consol ect... and you get 60 more HP

G8GXP4now
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
From the GXP I just saw at an autoshow it's all the way to the left, closest to you is Reverse, then 1,2,3,4,5,6 up, down left to right as normal. I would love to be able to do the switch over, but i know i'll never have the money to do it.

No, Reverse is all the way to the right and up, for the US cars.

p71
03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/4/I/1/09g8gxp_dash.jpg

look carefully... that shift nob will fit in a g8 or a commodore and the markings would be accurate.

'02 ws6
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Won't you need an Aussie m6 ECM or at least the tune to swap? I've done a couple of fbodies and each time we've used an M6 ECM flashed to car, or taken the car to our tuner and had him flash in a stock tune from a manual car.

'02 ws6
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM

look carefully... that shift nob will fit in a g8 or a commodore and the markings would be accurate.

After looking carefully, I see I'd rather have those guages instead of the Ataris lol

GotMyG8V8
03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
No, Reverse is all the way to the right and up, for the US cars.

I could be wrong of course, but i would swear it was to the left in one of the cars because i sat in it and wondered about it....The only cars i sat in at the show were camaro....challenger...g8 and the cts-v, those were the only sports cars that might've had stick.....hmmm....oh well. Pictures are proof above all i guess!

I know it had to be an american car, because it wasn't a beamer......Damn it now it's killing me i wish i took a picture!

Crazy Paul
03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I was wondering, and I've looked through this forum for about 20 min., and couldn't find anything, would it be possible to swap out the AT for a Tremec T56 mt, or a TR-6060? Are either one of them compatible with the bolt pattern, size etc.? the T56 is used on the Commodore, in Convictland. It seems Logical, that same there = same here.

Yes the bolt pattern is the same for both trans.

L76 uses an LS2 block casting, so there's no problem there bolting it up to T56.

There was some talk about the input spline on TR-6060 being different to T56, us Convicts have managed to bolt T56's onto LS3's up till Nov 2008 and after that bolt TR-6060's onto LS3's. So there's a way to do it with the correct pieces.

BSmith
03-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't a be 2 day swap. I put a T56 in my 96 Impala SS in 2 days on the floor.

Interesting there was that I left the automatic tune in, minus the gear change. I didn't even need disable any of the trans codes. Did 4 more with the same outcome.

The hard part is going to be the pedal assembly. My luck with GM means that they won't have what ya need available yet. Aussie cars are on the other side, so I'm betting there is something different with the assembly.

The spline issue is in the clutch. The tip of the snout should be the same to put in the pilot bearing that you would need to install.

-Ray-
03-05-2009, 06:34 AM
After looking carefully, I see I'd rather have those guages instead of the Ataris lol

Screw the damn shift knob, I want those DAMN gauges!

p71
03-05-2009, 07:51 AM
well with the availability of the camaro and gxp pedals should be less of a concern. You could probably get the pedals from a middle east vehicle (LHD), so I know they are already available. You could also get the tranny programming from the same source.