PDA

View Full Version : pre-muff question

TurboSS
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
does any one know how restrictive that pre-muffler is on the gt's? or how much sound it kills?
if i'm calling it something its not sorry. its the muffler looking thing after the cats but before the resonators.
my thoughts are to run kooks lts, high flow cats keep the stock pre-muff and rear muffs with 2 E-cutouts before the rear muffs.
i want a nice rumble/sound with good hp for normal driving but then be able to make it quiet (little louder than stock but not much) for long highway cruises. the wife doesnt like the noise on long trips and when the kids start coming we want a soft exhaust note. cause you married guys know....if she aint happy....you cant turn her OFF!! lol thanks guys

randy

r33pwrd
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
just do the kooks or ARH full system (less the muffler) and you will be very happy...

SRG963
03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I would replace the center section of the exhaust with a Xpipe for around $100 (guessing).
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/GXhaust1.jpg

R.Penguin
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
does any one know how restrictive that pre-muffler is on the gt's? or how much sound it kills?
if i'm calling it something its not sorry. its the muffler looking thing after the cats but before the resonators.
my thoughts are to run kooks lts, high flow cats keep the stock pre-muff and rear muffs with 2 E-cutouts before the rear muffs.
i want a nice rumble/sound with good hp for normal driving but then be able to make it quiet (little louder than stock but not much) for long highway cruises. the wife doesnt like the noise on long trips and when the kids start coming we want a soft exhaust note. cause you married guys know....if she aint happy....you cant turn her OFF!! lol thanks guys

randy
They call it a "resonator", but it's just a side by side straight thru glasspak. I replaced it with an H pipe on the '08. This time I'm gonna try leaving it on and weld the X pipe right after it. I run E cutouts into 3" Cherry Bomb type glasspaks just before the big rear "garbage can" mufflers. It was a sweet sound but loud full open. Perhaps that monster will mellow things just a smidge.

TurboSS
03-03-2009, 05:17 PM
i'd like to drop that pre-muff if for nothing less the weight savings but i just cant have much noise when i have the cutouts closed. and i was thinking maybe going with an H pipe over the X pipe. i think someone said the X pipe gives a high rpm scream with more power and the H pipe give more low end torq and deep rumble...correct me if i'm wrong here.

GRRRR8
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
H's are usually prone to drone due to the lower frequency of the exhaust note.

R.Penguin
03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
With the cutouts closed, all exhaust routed thru the stock muffs, it will sound just like stock. Dead quiet on my setup.

TurboSS
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
H's are usually prone to drone due to the lower frequency of the exhaust note.

:lame: well we cant have any of that shit. not that the DOD seems to like comen on much on the highways anyways

TurboSS
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
With the cutouts closed, all exhaust routed thru the stock muffs, it will sound just like stock. Dead quiet on my setup.

and that is with which setup for you?

i have heard youtube vids of people with lt's with cats and x pipe and stock muffs....you can hear the exhaust alittle in the back ground but not much....WOT....now that was a different story lol