PDA

View Full Version : Seat Brackets

TooManyHobbies
05-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Since there is some interest in these, I am going to do a small production run. The brackets are made of steel and weigh about 3 pounds per seat. I am having the front tabs laser cut since those are the most painful to create. The brackets are welded together. To use these the seat you attach must have holes or slots that are 15 3/4 to 16 3/4 wide from rail to rail. I used the NRG FRP-300 seat which is the large size. They also sell a medium and small size. If you want to use another type of seat you will need to verify the correct width. Some sort of adapter plate could be created if necessary if you have some odd seat. After they are welded the brackets will be test fit and adjusted in my car to make sure they fit and are parallel. Since I do not know what seat you are going to use them in or where you want them placed they will not have the holes drilled in them to mount the seat. Those are easy enough for you to add if you have a drill. They will also be supplied unpainted for this reason. If you use just these brackets the seat will not be adjustable once installed. It should be relatively easy to incorporate a universal slider like the NRG SBR-001 between the bracket and seat.

Cost will be around $100 for a set of 4 brackets delivered to your door. You can also get a single set for one seat for $60. Final price will be set after I figure out how much the welding will cost. The price should not change too much.

If you are interested in additional services such as getting them to work with the seats you want, or incorporating the sliders, we can discuss. Please be aware that shipping seats with brackets installed will probably not be cheap.

Any questions?

If you want a set, please reply to this thread so I know how many to build.

Mods, I will work out something for the board once I figure out if this thing will fly.

wickedg8gt
05-25-2015, 06:48 AM
Im in for a set of 4 brackets. Driver and passenger of the same seat you are using.

Dctg8
05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm in for a set aswell for passenger and driver seats.

THE Adam V
05-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Count me in

JonnyG2132
05-25-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm interested in driver and passenger brackets
I was looking into the Corbeau A4 race seats . not for sure yet. How are those seats you installed?
Jon

TooManyHobbies
05-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Measurements for NRG seats

fengstang
05-25-2015, 11:32 PM
In for left and right.

We have not found a way to turn off the airbag light yet right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooManyHobbies
05-30-2015, 06:23 AM
The resistor value is known, but there is something else that needs to be figured out since the light still stays on.

TooManyHobbies
05-30-2015, 06:24 AM
I am going to leave this open until June 7 and then order the materials.

JonnyG2132
05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Measurements for NRG seats

Do you have the chart for the reclining seats?

G8-4-Speed
06-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I'll jump on a few sets to help out...

Stevesm943
06-02-2015, 03:00 PM
In for a set

TooManyHobbies
06-04-2015, 05:53 AM
OK, here is what we have so far:

1. wickedg8gt - full set
2. Dctg8 - full set
3. The Adam V - full set
4. JohnnyG2132 - full set
5. fengstang - full set
6. G8-4-Speed - X full sets
7. Stevesm943 - full set
8. Nate - full set

So we are sitting at 8 or more sets now. If you want some, post here by June 7th.

Nate
06-06-2015, 05:52 AM
I'm in for a set of drivers and passengers too please TMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooManyHobbies
06-10-2015, 12:25 PM
I have ordered parts for these. I will let the interested parties the final price once they are welded together. After that you can paypal the money and I will ship out after I tweak and test fit each set. I will update this thread once I get more info on timing.

JonnyG2132
06-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks

wickedg8gt
06-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks. Appreciate it.

TooManyHobbies
06-22-2015, 07:58 AM
An update. Most of the pieces arrived over a week ago. Still waiting on the laser cut tabs. They originally said they would be done last week, but they were not. They are working on them since they contacted me to clarify dimensions. The tabs should be done this week sometime. This order is small potatos for them. Then I can put a test set together to verify and adjust the fit. After that they can all be sent for welding. Still looking at a couple weeks before they are ready.

JonnyG2132
06-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the update. No worries. Take your time

TooManyHobbies
07-02-2015, 05:38 AM
Now that I have these I can test fit a set. I hope to get some drilling and bending of other parts done this weekend.

gr8lover
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM
WHat are your plans for the seat belt mounts/seat belts?... interested

TooManyHobbies
07-02-2015, 11:37 AM
How the end user chooses to handle the seat belt depends on the seat they purchase and their preference. For the one I use in my car the buckle was removed from the stock seat and attached to the race seat at an existing mounting bolt. The other end of the belt was attached to the seat mount bolt. Alternatively, additional holes could be drilled in the brackets for attachment points for the buckle and belt. If someone has a cage or bar then the belt could be attached to those.

TooManyHobbies
07-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Test fit went well. Just a tiny bit of grinding needed on the tabs for them to fit. I wanted them tight. Fit is the same on driver and passenger side. My drill press self destructed yesterday, so I need to buy a different one this week to finish drilling holes for the back tabs.

Nate
07-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the update :) rough luck with the drill!

G8-4-Speed
07-21-2015, 08:44 AM
You don't even have to weld mine, that is the easy part.....I can TIG them up pretty quick.

Greg@PacePerformance
07-30-2015, 07:28 AM
http://airbagsystems.com/simulator.html
Might be able to turn airbag warning lights off.

TooManyHobbies
07-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Parts for 3 sets going to Rick tomorrow since he can weld his own. The rest coming soon.

G8-4-Speed
07-31-2015, 04:49 AM
Parts for 3 sets going to Rick tomorrow since he can weld his own. The rest coming soon.

Sweet!

TooManyHobbies
08-08-2015, 06:21 PM
I got the rest of the parts deburred today so you will not cut your finger on them. They will be going to the welder the next day or two.

TooManyHobbies
08-18-2015, 06:56 PM
OK, they are ready to go other than the test fitting. I should be able to test fit them this weekend. Final price is $120 for a set of 4 brackets shipped. Believe me, that price is a bargain and if I do another run they will be more expensive. I will PM my Paypal ID to everyone that signed up for a set.

TooManyHobbies
08-23-2015, 06:52 PM
I test fit and adjusted all of them today. I will go buy boxes tomorrow and all that have paid will have theirs shipped on Tuesday.

TooManyHobbies
08-26-2015, 08:44 AM
All those that paid and I have their shipping address have been shipped. I PMed your tracking number.

I will send out a couple reminders for those I have not heard from.

TooManyHobbies
08-31-2015, 12:13 PM
A quick and dirty DIY for those of you working on this:

Part 1 - Seat removal:

1. Move seat to the far forward position.
2. Grasp the back inside seat rail cover from the center of the bottom. Pull up and out to release. This one likes to be stubborn the first time it comes out. Get your fingers up as far up and inside as you can so the plastic does not break. It has a steel spring clip that holds it on.
3. Pull upward on the back of the outside rear rail cover and rotate it up. One small round clip holds it on. Once it is rotated up it will slide out of the front cover piece.
4. Remove the two bolts holding the back of the seat down.
5. Move the seat as far back and up as it will go.
6. Pull straight forward on the inside front rail cover to pull it out. It just has a plastic part that slides into the rail.
7. Pull up slightly on the back of the front outer cover to release one small round clip, then pull the cover forward to slide it out of the front of the rail.
8. There are 5 electrical connectors to disconnect. You will probably cuss some of these the first time you mess with them. Unhook all of them except for the one farthest on the outside of the 4 in the forward group. That one is power to the seat adjustors. Also need to unlatch one plastic latch holding the wires down.
9. Move the seat so it is centered on the rail and as low as it will go.
10. Remove the last power connector.
11. On the seatbelt on the outside is a small plastic flap about the size of a nickel. Open it to reveal a torx bolt. Loosen the bolt. You may want to use a magnet, the torx bit, gravity, or something else to hold the bolt out so the seatbelt will slip out. May need to cuss a little more.
12. Turn the knob on the side of the seat to bring the top of the seatback forward as far as possible. Basically folding the seat somewhat.
13. Lift up on the back of the seat, and then pull backward then upward on seat to release the front tabs. Set seat back down on the carpet.
14. Make sure your front door is open as far as possible. Make sure the rear door is shut so you do not scratch the paint. Make you have adequate clearance around the car and its surroundings to get the seat out of the car and where you want to set it down. The seat is heavy and the rail prongs and rear bolt down tabs like to scratch things they come in contact with. You have been warned :D
15. Grasp the seat on the front and back and lift the seat and rotate the front of the seat out of the car while simultaneously leaning the top of the seat down. Watch those nasty prongs and tabs or you will have scratched plastic somewhere. You may want a buddy to help to keep an eye on clearance.

Part 2 - Test fit new brackets:

1. The brackets come in pairs and have different length back tabs. Place the brackets in the correct position. You may need to push them down a bit to get the rear bolts started. If you have to push down a bunch, then you may need to grind them down a bit. I am not sure how much car to car variation we will run into. Where I have already ground them will be probably where you would need to grind more.
2. Tighten back bolts down once brackets are adjusted if necessary.
3. Check that the brackets are parallel and also level cross car with each other. They will not be level down the length of the car, not designed that way. They just need to be even with each other.
4. Fiddle with the brackets if they are not close to even by grinding or rarely bending back tab slightly.
5. Reinstall brackets.

Part 3 - Place seat to check placement:

1. You will not be able to sit in the seat to check location since it will be loose. My hint would to have the opposite side seat adjusted where you want it and use that as an approximate reference.
2. Mark position of seat on brackets.
3. Remove seats and brackets.

Part 4 - Attach brackets to seat:

1. Buy appropriate grade and size bolts to attach your seat to the brackets. I used 1/4 inch diameter by 1 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts. Those are the shortest that will work, you may need longer. I included washers and lock washers.
2. Drill 4 holes in the appropriate location on the brackets.
3. If you are incorporating a slider or have different seats than I bought you will need to figure out the mounting.
4. Attach brackets to the seats, but leave the bolts loose. This helps with final installation.

Part 5 - Removing the belt buckle from the seat:

1. There is an electrical connector for the seat belt buckle that needs to be unhooked under the seat, it is right in the middle. You will also need to cut a wire tie to get the wire loose.
2. Buckle is removed with one large torx.

Part 6 - Attaching the belt buckle to new seat:

1. On the seat I purchased there is a bolt that attaches the seat to the the seat bracket (not my bracket). This is where I bolted the buckle to. because of the curvature of the buckle it is easiest to mount it backwards. This makes unbuckling it a little more awkward, but it works.
2. To avoid the backward mount I think I am going to bend a strap of steel and mount the buckle this way. The strap will mount to my bracket directly. Should be stronger too.

Part 7 - Final installation:

1. Put seat in the car in the reverse manner of how the stock seats were put in. Watch those prongs and tabs!
2. Slip the tabs in the front by tilting seat up. May need to move the brackets slightly.
3. Bolt down the tabs in back. May need to move brackets slightly. You can connect the seat belt tab that was disconnected above to the outside bolt.
4. Tighten down bolts holding the seat to the brackets.

I will add some pics and text as I have time over the next couple days.

TooManyHobbies
09-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Most of the text is there above. Need to add some pics when I get a chance. Lemme know if you have questions.

Stevesm943
09-04-2015, 03:18 AM
I bought the same seat, how to you get in without shoving the side of the seat up your butt? It's pretty comfy once your in & way more supportive than the stock seat.

TooManyHobbies
09-04-2015, 03:56 AM
I bought the same seat, how to you get in without shoving the side of the seat up your butt? It's pretty comfy once your in & way more supportive than the stock seat.

LOL, I do not have a problem getting in. Getting out can be a work though. I do not remember any certain method to getting in, just kind of fall in and rotate.

TooManyHobbies
09-27-2015, 05:04 PM
One person went non-responsive, so I have one set of the brackets available immediately. This set has one bracket that had the rear tab welded in a slightly wrong position. Because of this I had to ovalize the hole slightly. Really will not affect the performance. First $120 takes the set.

Whitehotstl
09-27-2015, 07:08 PM
PM'd

TooManyHobbies
09-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Last set sold.

-Ray-
09-30-2015, 02:41 AM
Sweet! Good job!

TooManyHobbies
02-08-2016, 09:54 AM
I have interest from a couple people for some of these. Anybody else interested. Speak up soon, I need to get material ordered.

slayermanny
02-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Id like a set for 2 front seats.

Darkmanx
05-22-2016, 05:53 AM
Can u still get these?

TooManyHobbies
05-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Working on another small batch. Will not be done soon though.

Darkmanx
05-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Ok let me know.

JonnyG2132
06-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Ill be interested too

dustins
09-01-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm in for a set for 2 front seats, any idea on when you might do another batch?

TooManyHobbies
11-10-2016, 06:57 PM
I have one full set for two seats and a half set for one seat ready to go. $140 for the full set. $80 for the half set. This batch is lighter then the last batch for even more weight savings.

JonnyG2132
11-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Pm sent. Need a set of passenger brackets.

Thanks

Darkmanx
11-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Pm sent. Need a set of passenger brackets.

Thanks

what about the driver? i hope you not racing from the passenger side lmao

TooManyHobbies
11-16-2016, 01:51 PM
what about the driver? i hope you not racing from the passenger side lmao

He did the all out Australian conversion, LOL

TooManyHobbies
11-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Darkmanx - you PM inbox is full. I have a question for you.

Darkmanx
03-07-2017, 04:48 AM
27294 works flawless

dustins
03-14-2017, 01:19 AM
Are these still being made? Where can I buy a set?

TooManyHobbies
03-14-2017, 03:05 AM
Are these still being made? Where can I buy a set?

I am no longer making these. See Ace Performance, they are making seat brackets I believe. Slightly different design though.

Darkmanx
03-14-2017, 09:20 AM
What's different on the ace ones

TooManyHobbies
03-14-2017, 09:52 AM
What's different on the ace ones

I think they are 4 separate pieces. Two plates that are bent in back and bolt to seat and car. A plate in front that is bent and slips into one prong hole and is bolted to seat. No bar connecting them front to back like the ones I made. Also only uses one of the prong holes vs both in my design.

Darkmanx
03-16-2017, 07:43 AM
do they slide?