PDA

View Full Version : Torque Management - Round 1

'02 ws6
08-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Well I guess I will be first to bring up the controversial and highly debated topic of whether you completely remove torque management or just back it off substantially. I know vector doesnt completely remove it, but my tuner, the GMHTP mag guys, and some others have said to just ditch it all together. I know what Im going to do but what to hear from owners and tuners what their intentions are and the pros and cons to doing so.

'02 ws6
08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Like I said I know what I am going to do, which is what my tuner told me, and dump it. I remember the early tuning craze for ls1s and the arguements were the same: It will wreck the trans at full throttle and cause severe traction problems. Well stalls were thought about the same way in that a flashed converter launch will shock the trans and damage parts, but look at how they are viewed now. From what I have read the TM is a killer so i will remove it for the time being and if I start to see some adverse effects i will immediately change it.

-Ray-
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Go ahead and remove it. I wanna see what happens. :)

GTPprix
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
All I'm going to say is this, we've been tuning the A6 longer than any other company out there. TM is used in EVERY single shift calculation, its not an add on like it was with the 4L series, it's now used for shift timing and completion and anti-slip.

If you disable it it WILL Destroy the trans over time (how long obviously depends on alot of factors), especially in a 3800lbs car. It's too bad none of the commercial suites give you the option to reduce it like we can, its either on or off. There is no reason to turn if off, especially when all the fastest ET G8's right now run about 50% (NA G8's that is) ;)

Obviously its your car, do what you want but people that tell others to "turn it off" obviously dont know how it works on the new 6L/6T series :)

Chewy
08-21-2008, 09:48 AM
All I'm going to say is this, we've been tuning the A6 longer than any other company out there. TM is used in EVERY single shift calculation, its not an add on like it was with the 4L series, it's now used for shift timing and completion and anti-slip.

If you disable it it WILL Destroy the trans over time (how long obviously depends on alot of factors), especially in a 3800lbs car. It's too bad none of the commercial suites give you the option to reduce it like we can, its either on or off. There is no reason to turn if off, especially when all the fastest ET G8's right now run about 50% (NA G8's that is) ;)

Obviously its your car, do what you want but people that tell others to "turn it

off" obviously dont know how it works on the new 6L/6T series :)

Well written IMO.

Mike P
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Obviously its your car, do what you want but people that tell others to "turn it off" obviously dont know how it works on the new 6L/6T series :)

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to try to hold on to my stock transmission.
:)