PDA

View Full Version : Tuning for an aftermarket stall

g8_795
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Does anybody have a low "rumble" when the TCC locks up for their aftermarket stall converter? I think it has to do with the PWM on our transmissions. I am using HPTuners and you can not change the TCC duty cycle for our transmissions like you can for other transmissions.

Right now I cam running with no TCC lockup because of this. I can use the scan tool to manually lock the TCC and then the rumble starts. I can disable to TCC lockup and it gets quite again.

Thanks for any insight anybody can give me.

Steve
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
hmm maybe?
I noticed last time I ran engineering mode it 'souned' like I was running in AFM mode, but it said I wasn't.. Any particular thing I can check to verify for you?

GeorgeInNePa
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I haven't noticed anything.

g8_795
03-03-2009, 05:04 AM
hmm maybe?
I noticed last time I ran engineering mode it 'souned' like I was running in AFM mode, but it said I wasn't.. Any particular thing I can check to verify for you?

That is sort of a good description of what it sounds like but maybe more faint. I have not ran AFM for 8k miles, but it does sort of sounds like that.

Do you have the ability to turn off AFM, or manually shift to sixth gear (I think this will turn off AFM??). And then engage your TCC with your Dashhawk or any other tool?

I have read on other forums that the PWM locking TCC's are very hard on aftermarket stalls and Circle-D recommended shutting off the PWM.

Thanks.

g8_795
03-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Did Vector tune for either one of your stall's? Maybe they changed the duty cycle of the PWM up to 100% for you George?

Steve
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
They did tune for it the converter, but not quite sure what Kirk did - maybe he can chime in

GeorgeInNePa
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Did Vector tune for either one of your stall's? Maybe they changed the duty cycle of the PWM up to 100% for you George?

I did have Kirk adjust the tune for the converter, but I have no clue what he did. I bought the Yank converter from Vector, so they knew exactly what I had.

g8_795
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
They did tune for it the converter, but not quite sure what Kirk did - maybe he can chime in

Steve/George,
Can you guys engage/disengage the TCC with your Dashhawk or even better yet, change the duty cycle via the Dashhawk?

HPTuners just got back to me, and they do not have plans on adding this to their product anytime soon. Looks like I have to find a tuner to just change this for me.

wreckwriter
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
No, Dashhawk cannot do that.

Steve
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Don't have a dashhawk :( (yet) it's on my 'todo' list lol

g8_795
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Don't have a dashhawk :( (yet) it's on my 'todo' list lol

No, Dashhawk cannot do that.

Bummer.

bigwillys58
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
newb question but what is PWM?? i hope i dont run into this problem because i too tune (try to anyways) with hp tuners

g8_795
03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
PWM is Pulse Width Modulation. a 100% duty cycle, DC, would be considered to be "on" all of the time when engaged.

I talked to a local Corvette tuner, Tony's Corvettes, and he said they normally don't mess with the DC for the TCC's in the vette. They have the same trans. He is also using HPTuner's. He also said they normally don't have problems with the higher stalls.

I don't know, but it is definitely TCC engagement related.

Andy@Livernois
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I know we have had something similar to this with Yank converters on some other transmissions (I am assuming it's almost like clutch chattering) and we had to send them back in to have the clutch reworked... after that no issues, Maybe call Circle-D and get some advice and see if they have encountered this before and have any suggestions for it as we haven't run into this on any of the 6l80e's we have done...

GRRRR8
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
The TCC lock-up points have to be adjusted. With the cam and other mods this is pretty common. Steve had some quirks and then Kirk tuned it and all is well.