Purchased From: (URL) http://www.fasterproms.net/

Installation: (Use easy, moderate, involved, or difficult) moderate
Installation Time: 3 hours, including removal
Any Installation Tips You Have: (optional) Don't do it when it's below freezing

Quality of Part: (rate 1-10) 10?
Product Performance: (rate 1-10) 10
Would you Recommend to Others: Yes!

Any Other Comments:

I had received my ported intake and throttle body over a month ago. However, since my G8 has been garaged for the winter, I hadn't had an opportunity to drive it.
My G8 did not like being shut down for 4 months. I had the battery out, and started getting all kinds of warnings. Cyl #8 mis-fire. that was my fault, I hadn't got the injector wire completely pushed down. Also got a coil pack DTC as well, but forgot the code.
I also didn't have mufflers on my car either, but that didn't stop me from driving it through town to my friends muffler shop.
After the mufflers were installed, all the DTC's cleared. I haven't had DTC's clear since I put the American Racing headers on. That was a treat. Remote start back.
My throttle response is right on. There is zero hesitation. The throttle is still less than linear, but I've learned how to deal with that little anomaly. Mash the peddle. :)
I left feedback for those guys a few weeks ago, but now I can tell them thanks for a GRRRR8 job!
This fits in with the other mods I've done to my G8.

Mike P
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Nice write up Ray. I really need to do one for my Yank 3200 Torque Converter and other mods. I am really happy with everything I've had done by Vector so far.

Also, I will definitely be doing the ported TB & ported intake, great mods, & great write up. Thanks for taking the time Ray! :)

GM_Fan
03-03-2009, 03:29 AM
You're gonna have to give me a ride in that beast.

TouchOfGray
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
NIce write up. Spoke to Jeremy at Fasterproms yesterday and my TB/manifold is being shipped back. Looking forward to seeing how it responds, but from what I've read I wont be disappointed.

-Ray-
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
GM_Fan drove my G8 today. I'm sure Ron will be able to offer up his opinion. We pulled a 4.45 Sec. zero to 60 today.

jimmytt6
03-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Nice write up. Does anyone know what HP gains out of this, and what is the cost? Do you just get better throttle response and not much additional HP.

thanks,
Jim

Devilish34
03-25-2009, 09:18 AM
GM_Fan drove my G8 today. I'm sure Ron will be able to offer up his opinion. We pulled a 4.45 Sec. zero to 60 today.

How did you verify this?

G8GXP4now
03-25-2009, 10:58 AM
What is the cost of this mod?

I wonder how the performance of the ported intake compares to the 102mm FAST lsx-r manifold?

-Ray-
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
How did you verify this?

Dashhawk.

What is the cost of this mod?

I wonder how the performance of the ported intake compares to the 102mm FAST lsx-r manifold?

Call them. They are one of our vendors.

d_toll
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I was actually on mid america's website looking at stuff for dad's vette and i seen some of the manifolds on there and was wondering the same thing.

Devilish34
03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Dashhawk.

Then either yours or mine is broke I ran a 4.41 :nah:

-Ray-
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Then either yours or mine is broke I ran a 4.41 :nah:

Ron (GM_Fan) was driving. I'll blame it on him. :boxing:

Devilish34
03-26-2009, 05:26 AM

lol

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I was actually on mid america's website looking at stuff for dad's vette and i seen some of the manifolds on there and was wondering the same thing.

When I talked to the guys at FAST last week, I still couldn't get the new intake, so hopefully it won't be another one of those things where we all wait a year just to find out it isn't worth it. You'd probably be better off getting the ported one..imo

wyldman
03-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Is this something a shade tree mechanic would be comfortable doing?. I'm always afraid of a vacuum leak when I start messing with manifolds.

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Is this something a shade tree mechanic would be comfortable doing?. I'm always afraid of a vacuum leak when I start messing with manifolds.

It's a little involved, but you can do it. I did it when it was 10 degrees out. There are several of us available by phone if you need.

wyldman
03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow. 10 degrees. Did you use gaskets or just a silicone type sealant? Looks like an economical mod that would be worth the effort.

GeorgeInNePa
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Wow. 10 degrees. Did you use gaskets or just a silicone type sealant? Looks like an economical mod that would be worth the effort.

The manifold and TB have rubber o-ring gaskets. They shouldn't leak.

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 01:28 PM

After I got the parts off, I used a small pic to remove the gaskets and put them in a zip lock baggie. When I installed everything, I used a little WD-40 to clean and wipe off each gasket until it was clean, and popped 'em back in.
No leaks.

DewieJr
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
We thinking 8-12 rwhp on a bolton GT? Is the pedal stiffer?

GXPaycheck
03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I am not exactly mechanically inclined, but I did it and got it right the first time. Very easy. Just took me longer than most folks (and I had to buy a torque wrench!).:repair:

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 03:41 PM
We thinking 8-12 rwhp on a bolton GT? Is the pedal stiffer?

The throttle response is better, but the feel of the pedal doesn't change.

jboogie
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I dont read very well so i will ask.. How much did this cost and what other mods should someone have before doing this?

Thanks

-Ray-
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I dont read very well so i will ask.. How much did this cost and what other mods should someone have before doing this?

Thanks

This is one of the "supporting mods". It works well in conjunction with other "flow" mods like headers.
Contact Fasterproms for their current price.
I'm not saying you wouldn't benefit without the other mods. Ok?

locrzn#92
04-02-2009, 03:15 AM
I think Mike at NEP has a ported throttle body also.

superspud
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Another body in the car does slow it down hundreths or a tenth of a sec...:spank:

gearhead455
04-30-2009, 07:50 PM
NEP is going to do my tune in a couple weeks,and I was thinking of getting the Yella tube with a K&N filter,would the ported TB be worth it with these mods?

Or should I go with this CAI and the ported TB?....

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=neg8gt|0

Or the above CAI without the ported TB?

The OTR one is too much $ right now.

Opinions please, thanks.

gearhead455
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Bump

PerfectD3
05-01-2009, 06:24 PM
If you got a dremel and a steady hand, you can port/polish your own TB. Just costs you some time. After I finish moving this will be my next hobo mod.

GR8Bigdog
05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I would hold out for OTR, either way I think the tune is what will impress you!

-Ray-
05-02-2009, 03:17 AM
This is a review for a ported intake and TB from fasterproms. Were getting a little off topic.

gearhead455
05-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I apologize.

GeorgeInNePa
07-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Just got done installing my intake and throttle body from FasterProms.

The car responds quicker to throttle inputs now.

And the sound...

Oh man, the Vararam ROARS!

SpeedRacerX
07-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Just got done installing my intake and throttle body from FasterProms.

The car responds quicker to throttle inputs now.

And the sound...

Oh man, the Vararam ROARS!

NICE!!! :woohoo:
I know the throttle body is a piece of cake to remove; how about the intake? Easy, moderate??
How long to remove it or re-install it?
What kind of turnaround time was it?

GeorgeInNePa
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
NICE!!! :woohoo:
I know the throttle body is a piece of cake to remove; how about the intake? Easy, moderate??
How long to remove it or re-install it?
What kind of turnaround time was it?

I went with the core charge, he sent me a TB and intake and took a deposit on my credit card. I'll get the 550 back when he receives my intake and tb.

If you've done your own CAI install, you can do this.

Taking your time, you can do this in 1 hour. Maybe an hour and a half if you are real slow.

It took me about 15 minutes longer than it should have because I wasn't sure how the fuel injector wire plugs came off the injectors.

Then I got on the phone with Charlie in the middle of the install...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/G8/car0.jpg