PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic balancer help and info needed

snowwolf
03-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Noticed when I lifted the hood the serp belt had run over half off the tensioner pulley, had a spare new tensioner and fitted, on start up I noticed the harmonic balancer / crank pulley had the dreaded wobble. Probably about 2mm run out on tick over, I need to replace the HB would you suggest a standard pulley again of perhaps an ATI or other brand?
I live in the UK so these items are very hard to get and looks like my local dealer can get an ATI In about 2 months at a cost of £510 = $760 and a standard one in 4 weeks at £200 = $300

Is the best procedure getting the bolt undone is using a very robust electric nut gun or air gun and I take it using these should eliminate having to lock the fly wheel ?

Any other suggestions removal and help in getting one sooner I would appreciate it

Regards Mick

-Ray-
03-26-2015, 02:46 AM
Mick, the tool to lock the flywheel is expensive but worth it in the end. You will need a very good impact to loosen the HB bolt.
You can talk to Crazy Paul, he may be able to get items delivered to you at a lower cost then shipping through the US.
The ATI is the most expensive one. Power Bond or SLP offer an underdrive pulley.

snowwolf
03-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Cheers Ray, I have ordered a new GM pulley from Monkfish performance over here in the UK, very good company to deal with, I would let them fit the new pulley but adds £100 in fuel costs to drive toy their workshop, so going to give it a go myself.

GingerBeard Man
03-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Mick, the tool to lock the flywheel is expensive but worth it in the end. You will need a very good impact to loosen the HB bolt.
You can talk to Crazy Paul, he may be able to get items delivered to you at a lower cost then shipping through the US.
The ATI is the most expensive one. Power Bond or SLP offer an underdrive pulley.

not really an expensive tool...
*link removed* per forum rules, sorry staff!
I paid $35 from this guy, works good!

-Ray-
03-28-2015, 01:59 AM
not really an expensive tool...
http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1547001-flywheel-flexplate-holders.html

I paid $35 from this guy, works good!

I was talking about the Kent-Moore tool. That hand fabricated tool should be fine. He isn't a vendor here so I would never post a link to his forum page for sale add.

GingerBeard Man
03-28-2015, 02:55 AM
Sorry, didn't know member made tools followed vendor rules. I'll edit my link. I know better as I'm on a million forums and run one myself, hard to keep up with all the different rules. My bad.

I was just giving an option, I found it randomly through Google and snagged one.

-Ray-
03-28-2015, 11:57 AM
It's an option. I didn't intend to be snippy if you were thinking that. I was lucky enough to borrow the Kent Moore.

EDIT:

It was never my intention to prevent any links to a fabricated tool. This is a tool, not a vendors specific item. You can place your link back in your post..