PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac: Alive and Kicking and Part of GM’s Future Plans

GM_Fan
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2009/03/pontiac_alive_and_kicking_and_part_of_gms_future_p lans.html

By Susan Docherty
GM North American Vice President, Buick, Pontiac, GMC

We’ve been receiving a lot of communication recently from of our Pontiac dealers and owners regarding all of the negativity in the media surrounding our brand. It seems as though everyone is getting into the spirit, reporting speculation as fact, and writing Pontiac’s epitaph.

The only problem is that it’s wrong. Pontiac is alive and kicking, and we are still part of GM’s future plans.

Now, we are not denying that automotive industry is hurting right now and we are all going to have to make some sacrifices to get through the worst global economic downturn in over 50 years. GM’s recent submission of a more detailed long-term viability plan to the U.S. Congress clearly spells out a number of actions we are taking to deal with that new reality, including shedding nearly 20 percent of our workforce and exploring other options for the Hummer, Saab, and Saturn brands.

But that plan also clearly focuses on the single item that will make us a success in the future - great products. Pontiac definitely has a role to play there, although it’s going to mean some changes. And change, as we all know, can be difficult, especially when you’re dealing with an 83-year old American icon.

I’ll tell you up front that we don’t have every detail finalized, but let’s address the facts and sort out what we do know from what we’re still working on.

First, very little is changing in the near term. Pontiac will continue to offer the G5, G6, G8, Solstice and Vibe, and we’re adding the economical G3. Pontiac’s top reason for purchase is “fuel economy” and we won’t disappoint with four of our six entries getting over 32 miles per gallon on the highway.

The Pontiac Torrent will be discontinued to enable the brand to “focus” on cars. But the good news is that a new, five-passenger crossover SUV entry will soon be found at GMC … stay tuned.

In the future, Pontiac will have fewer nameplates. Just how many and what they will look like is still under study.

Again, we know that we don’t have all of the answers right now and that can be very uncomfortable, but we refuse to let media speculation and negativity make up our minds for us.

Pontiac still has a mission in the BPG channel and it’s one that a very dedicated team of engineers, marketers, and dealers is determined to complete successfully, one step at a time.

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Hooray for the "niche" GM brand! :woohoo:

NYG8GT
03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I just hope they keep the G8 around. Let everything else be economical. I hope they realize that not all of the American public wants something with 32+mpg and can continue to offer something for the minority out there that cares about performance and fun. That is what Pontiac is based off of.

Executor999
03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I second that. I've grown up with Pontiac all my life thanks to my older step brother, who rebuilt a 1967 GTO in time for his senior prom. My G8 is my third car and third Pontiac. It would suck if Pontiac was dissolved.

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I was pretty disheartened when the rumors of Poncho's demise started flying. I've owned 3 TAs and now the G8, its by far my favorite. Agreeing w/ you NYG8GT, not EVERYBODY wants the economical 32mpg old fart mobile. There's still some speed demons out there like myself! :devil:

GM_Fan
03-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I hope that the Pontiac brand stays around for a long time. I have 3 in the drive currently and would like to add more in the future.

NAiLs
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I too was quite disappointed when I saw the rumors of GM killing off Pontiac... but this news definitely makes me happier. I've also only owned Pontiacs, and the G8 is my 5th car and Pontiac. My mom loves her Pontiacs, as she has owned several herself. I just hope they don't decide to stick with these 32MPG+ cars, and give a little focus to some of the performance cars that they've built for decades.

GrandPrix98GT
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I've been driving for just 7 years now and have owned two vehicles. First, being a '98 Grand Prix (which now my girlfriend has).. with the G8 now my second vehicle. There is just something that attracts me to the Pontiac brand, especially with the G8, Solstice, even the GTO. I hope Pontiac will be around for a long time coming.

Executor999
03-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I can relate! My first car was a 1980 Grand Prix (in 1988) and my very first car I factory ordered brand new was a 1998 Grand Prix GTP. I loved that car and owned for ten years, until I traded it in for my G8. :)

The 1980 Grand Prix became a beast after I transplanted a Pontiac 455 engine and 350 TH transmission. I also found a used posi-traction rear end and threw in some 3.23 gears. Talk about a gas guzzler! It was so modded that I couldn't get it inspected when I lived in Maryland. My stepbrother did most of the work and he actually pulled off mid 13's in that car. I could never feather it right.

R.Penguin
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
If the "Pontiac" G8 goes away, I know just where to buy a new one if (God, no please!) I need one.

I'd order one from the factory. :nah:

RxApple
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
First Pontiac here, but I love it, so much that I am a convert from a pickup. This is my third vehicle, first was 2000 Chevy Silv, second 2006 GMC Sierra. I miss the truck, especially this weekend after 6 inches of snow, but I don't miss it enough to not like the G8, it is a BAD car (Mine is still stock since I just bought it 10 days ago, but not for long)!!!!

Naptown99
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
This is great news in "dire" times. I've been worried about BPG dealerships' futures, especially since my dealership cleared one of their lots and consolidated at their other location. It's good to hear Pontiac will hopefully weather this storm.

DQGTO
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I was glad to hear this news as well. I am only 21 and I have already had 3 Pontiac's of my own and my family is Pontiac dominated. My dad had a 98 Bonneville which he now gave to my sister for his G8. My first car was a 1968 GTO, which I still have. And I have been through on 98 Grand Am and I currently drive a 98 Grand Prix. A G8 is certainly in my future, but not for a few years assuming I can land a job when I graduate this May from Towson University. I can only hope, just like many people, that Pontiac lives and continues to put out high performance cars for people like us. Hopefully, GM realizes the true market for performance cars that still exists and keeps cars like the GT and the GXP rolling out of the factory for years to come. After all, that is what Pontiac is truly about if you ask me.

EC-Ryder
03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I think that if the worst were to happen and GM had to go, (a real posibility imo) someone would pick up some of the brands.

The Commodore and the Pontiac would most likely be bought together. The G8 is a more practical performance and daily driver then a BMW for example and in a more frugal world would be a better seller I would think. I know for sure that the younger crowd voted my G8 the hottest ryde...Err ride...Around, and I’m sure investors are not blind to the trends.

One cannot pay too much attention to the news rhetoric now a days, as it’s just corporate posturing for now, but the logical and common sense will always prevail.

Cheers!

MediaGuy
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2009/03/pontiac_alive_and_kicking_and_part_of_gms_future_p lans.html

First, very little is changing in the near term. Pontiac will continue to offer the G5, G6, G8, Solstice and Vibe, and we’re adding the economical G3.

Interesting. The dealer told me on Saturday that the G3, G8 and Vibe were the only vehicles being continued (keep in mind, though, this is the guy who told me the G8 GT has the LS2 and a six-speed automatic). His info was that since those vehicles are produced on production lines of other companies, GM could afford to just keep badging them as Pontiacs.

Either way, I'm all for the success of any GM brand!

Greg@PacePerformance
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Interesting. The dealer told me on Saturday that the G3, G8 and Vibe were the only vehicles being continued (keep in mind, though, this is the guy who told me the G8 GT has the LS2 and a six-speed automatic). His info was that since those vehicles are produced on production lines of other companies, GM could afford to just keep badging them as Pontiacs.

Either way, I'm all for the success of any GM brand!

LOL your dealer
G3 - Aveo
G5 - Cobalt
G6 - Malibu
G8 - Duh
Solstice - Sky
Vibe - Toyota Matrix
So all of them are acutal rebadges. ;)

GotMyG8V8
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a feeling the only cars that will stay around are the G8, Solstice, and the Vibe. The G8 is obvious, it's the only stateside car of it's kind. The vibe is GM's answer *cough* copy *cough* of the matrix (yes i know they were made together). Surprisingly i see a lot of them running around. As for the Solstice, since Saturn is going away if they don't spin off, the solstice will then be that miata fighter that GM will need to get some share back. I have driven in a solstice GXP and boy it's an experience. I like the lining of the soltice a little better than the Sky.

With 3 models running, they hit good markets with good products. As much as i love the g6 i can't endorse it as having any exclusivity with such nice cars as the malibu working off the same platform for the most part.

Pontiac is truly the Performance Division with this line-up, from AWD to straight balls to the wall performance.

Executor999
03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the G8 designed to be the successor to the Grand Prix?

WVG8GT
03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
The G8 is by far and away a top 5 car in GM's lineup, they made the right choice. Every day I enjoy this car more and more, screw fuel economy and "Going Green" I'm all about the performance. :devil:

WVG8GT
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the G8 designed to be the successor to the Grand Prix?

I guess to the uneducated...yes (not saying anything negative about you).

But if people want a GP they can buy a Imapla or a Lacrosse.

The G8 is a enthusiast car, it rides like no other 30K GM has ever build. The GT and GXP are true ass kickers in every way. Holden doesnt make junk, they know what their doing down under. GM should take notice..........

TonyKarter
03-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Any news on their future strategy to cope with the global downturn?

KenV
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
LOL your dealer
G3 - Aveo
G5 - Cobalt
G6 - Malibu
G8 - Duh
Solstice - Sky
Vibe - Toyota Matrix
So all of them are acutal rebadges. ;)

I laughed out loud. :)

I sure hope they keep the G8. I just crossed 2 months with mine and I don't remember a more fun vehicle. 'Fun' for me is being able to haul my entire family in quiet comfort with a kick-ass stereo, smooth suspension and more than capable powertrain. It does what the M5 does, just in a more visceral fashion. For a third of the price. I think I spent more on video games in the last 6 months than I'll spend on maintenance for this thing in the next few years. Can't say that with a BMW unless you get that free-maintenance-for-several-years chingadera that I think they had/have.

I've had several fast cars, and this is the most well-rounded car I've had since my Formula, which we still have and will restore this year. Long live the four-door Corvette.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Unfortunetly, I don't think GM will survive on a whole as it is. So it won't much matter in the scheme of things. :(

KenV
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
It's an ugly thought, but I can see why it's a popular one. They last traded at what, about a buck per share? Well, if the government wants its own carmaker, they know which one to grab. Socialized automakers.....and then good luck with warranty claims.