PDA

View Full Version : VVT mod???

G8-4-Speed
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone look into what it would take to add VVT? Harness? Parts? Which tune to use?
Supposedly a Escalade 6.2's uses it so can it be done?

R.Penguin
03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
A 2007 Escalade 6.2? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Eh, sorry.

The Commodore
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I was thinking about this as well, the 6.0L trucks had it.

p71
03-02-2009, 12:23 AM
do not get the joke penguin

wrecked2001
03-02-2009, 12:40 AM
GM High-tech Performance mag just did a write up deactivating it or limiting it (can't remember) for for a aftermarket cam. From what i can see the whole system includes a special cam, cam gear, and oil pressure. Oil pressure activates the system. I am not sure about the harness. It was the Feb issue of the mag.

Crazy Paul
03-02-2009, 02:27 AM
GM High-tech Performance mag just did a write up deactivating it or limiting it (can't remember) for for a aftermarket cam. From what i can see the whole system includes a special cam, cam gear, and oil pressure. Oil pressure activates the system. I am not sure about the harness. It was the Feb issue of the mag.

Sounds like they would have been deactivating it.
99.99% of aftermarket LS cams are the 3 bolt type and the GM VVT system relies on oil flow coming thru the middle of the single bolt (on a single bolt cam) to activate the phaser.

edmanet
03-02-2009, 04:56 AM
I'll have to double check when I get home from work but I believe they installed a VVT system into a 6.0L engine. The cam had a slot through the entire length of the cam for oil to pass through. They was a mild cam and a more radical cam that they tested.

And they were talking about had hard it is tune because everytime the cam timing changed it needed data to read.

Greg@PacePerformance
03-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Even if you could add it you would have to change the water pump and that would require you change all the accesory brackets I think and I doubt there would be enough room.

p71
03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Even if you could add it you would have to change the water pump and that would require you change all the accesory brackets I think and I doubt there would be enough room.

just spitballing but could you run an electric pump and an idler pulley in the stock loaction... would have to fab up something custom but...

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
A 2007 Escalade 6.2? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Eh, sorry.

Escalades have 6.2s so I'm missing the joke. Starting in '07 they have L9H 6.2 w/ VVT 403hp. Now the Z71 trucks have them as well.

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I'll have to double check when I get home from work but I believe they installed a VVT system into a 6.0L engine.

Other way around, they just swapped into an L92 6.0 that already had VVT.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0903gmhtp_l92_comp_cams_vvt_cam_kit_install/index.html

pontiac4life
12-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Old thread but I think this has been looked over as a posssible good mod. I decided to forget headers and intake blah blah. Too much hassle for not enough gain. Does anyone know how complicated it would be to actually do VVT on g8? The camaro is making 400 with sweet gas mileage. If i can gain better power range from a mild cam with VVT and keep my gas mileage than that'll be a nice christmas present. After all the more gas you save the more money you save, and that money can be put towards other mods. Im seriously interested in going through with this if it is possible. I know there needs to be a single cam bolt so that oil can flow through, and that this cam will move the pulley assemblies and water pump? First, what cam would be best suited? Would a cam from another gm car work or a VVT aftermarket cam? Also I'm assuming the pistons may have to be replaced? I know engines but not enough to figure out if this will actually work on my own. Any advice from the engine nuts would be awesome. thanks :thumbsup:

-Ray-
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Easier to change the motor for one that has VVT. Or, you can buy a Mustang and get TiVCT.

bigtreepu
12-02-2010, 10:57 AM
If you embark on this journey, best of luck!!!! Like Ray says, easier to swap the motor.

Slizzo
12-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Easier to change the motor for one that has VVT. Or, you can buy a Mustang and get TiVCT.

And 3 more cams, and a whole lot more valves... :)

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM

:surprise:

lolwut

pontiac4life
12-02-2010, 08:28 PM
grrrr. would an l99 bolt straight in ? Just curious. I mean there has to be a decent amount of power and performance waiting to be tapped in the VVT system....

pontiac4life
12-02-2010, 08:37 PM
also why is it so hard to do? I mean if the camaro people are swapping it out, are there really that many complications for adding it?

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2010, 09:05 PM
grrrr. would an l99 bolt straight in ? Just curious. I mean there has to be a decent amount of power and performance waiting to be tapped in the VVT system....

Yes the L99 will bolt into the G8 chassis. You would need to use the Camaro accessories (PS pump, water pump, alt, etc) because the pulley heights are different between the G8 and Camaro. Or put a G8/Corvette bottom pulley on the crank and use the G8 stuff.

I have no idea if the ECM from the G8 can control the VVT from the L99. Yes, the ECMs are different.

Crazy Paul
12-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Yes the L99 will bolt into the G8 chassis. You would need to use the Camaro accessories (PS pump, water pump, alt, etc) because the pulley heights are different between the G8 and Camaro. Or put a G8/Corvette bottom pulley on the crank and use the G8 stuff.

Yes if you used all Camaro belt driven accessories and brackets, then moved A/C piping and P/S piping 1.5" further forward.
No you cannot use the G8/Corvette bottom crank pulley......it's because of the front timing cover for the VVT pushing everything 1.5" forward that you need all belt driven accessories and the crank pulley from Camaro.

GeorgeInNePa
12-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Yes if you used all Camaro belt driven accessories and brackets, then moved A/C piping and P/S piping 1.5" further forward.
No you cannot use the G8/Corvette bottom crank pulley......it's because of the front timing cover for the VVT pushing everything 1.5" forward that you need all belt driven accessories and the crank pulley from Camaro.

D'oh, I didn't think about that...

Crazy Paul
12-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Here you can see the VVT timing cover pushing everything forward.

NO VVT Fitted.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Blocks/No-VVT.jpg

With VVT Fitted

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Blocks/Yes-VVT.jpg

Camaro belt driven accessories all sitting 1.5" further forward than V8 G8's due to the allowance for above.
You can see the big dished bottom crank pulley they require.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Blocks/Camaro.jpg

G8 V8.....notice there is no dish in the crank pulley. Belts both run 1.5" in closer to the block than Camaro.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/09L76.jpg

1=Corvette/G8
2=Fbody/GTO
3-Truck/Camaro
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/pulleys_05.jpg

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 04:19 AM
crazy paul youre the man. So if the vvt cam were aquired and all pullies/accesories necesarry to move everything forward, and the ac lines moved, is this feasible? The only other thing that i think would halt it is the ecu. Do you know anything about wether the g8s can do it or if one would need a camaro ecu? Also are there any limitations on the pistons? Thanks!

-Ray-
12-03-2010, 04:21 AM
You can't use an E38 ECU since none of the programming is there for VVT. The next step would be to see if the Camaro ECM will talk to the G8 BCM. If not, then you need a BCM as well.

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 04:23 AM
also any idea on pricing for camaro belt accesories? You seem to be the one to ask for the best pricing guestimate. cmon someone needs a VVT G8. Then I can stick the vtec or w.e stickers all over it like a honda! =p just kidding

-Ray-
12-03-2010, 04:27 AM
I think it's time to find some wrecked Camaro's and see what you can grab off them. This is an energetic project. You should consider putting your location in your profile.

travis gore
12-03-2010, 04:39 AM
I think it's time to find some wrecked Camaro's and see what you can grab off them. This is an energetic project. You should consider putting your location in your profile.

when you find the wrecked Camaro's let us know, there are a few that would love to have the differential.
big project good luck.
am I missing something because this seems like a very large project for just a few mpg's
+1 on location,someone could be close that could help

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Will do. And dutchess county new york. If I can confirm that it IS possible and will work then I'd be willing to save the money up and go ahead with it when home from college next year. I just dont want to buy a bunch of camaro stuff put it on and find out that there is some electrical problem or some bolt in the way somewhere that will prevent everything from working and be a total waste of time and money. Im still unsure if the camaro pistons are required. i know there different because they're fly cut and thought I read somewhere they had some special oil passages or some junk. Thanks for all the responses, great info on here.

Crazy Paul
12-03-2010, 04:45 AM
So if the vvt cam were aquired and all pullies/accesories necesarry to move everything forward, and the ac lines moved, is this feasible? I suppose so. Start measuring shit to see if there's space to drag everything forward a couple inches.

The only other thing that i think would halt it is the ecu. Do you know anything about wether the g8s can do it or if one would need a camaro ecu? Also are there any limitations on the pistons? Thanks! No idea on ECU questions. VVT pistons are notched or flycut.

also any idea on pricing for camaro belt accesories? You seem to be the one to ask for the best pricing guestimate. cmon someone needs a VVT G8. Sadly I'm lacking your enthusiasm right now.

Notched pistons
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Blocks/L99.jpg

Camaro L99 V Camaro LS3
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Blocks/l99vsls3cn7.jpg

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Its more if the VVT can do a better power curve and how much its good for with mayeb an aftermarket VVT cam. If I can confiurm everything will actually work and all the necessary steps, I can assess cost of parts and labor. No way id be confident in being able to do it by myself without being nervous that I was messing something up. After I asses cost i can decide if its worth it.

travis gore
12-03-2010, 04:48 AM
^^^^good idea do all the homework before you spend a dime

Crazy Paul
12-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Im still unsure if the camaro pistons are required. i know there different because they're fly cut and thought I read somewhere they had some special oil passages or some junk.

I'm unsure about the pistons beyond the obvious flycutting.
The VVT cam has some special drillings to get oil inside and into the central bolt, which contains a valve of some sort to operate the phaser. Front timing cover contains a magnet to operate the valve.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/0903gmhtp_16_zl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/0903gmhtp_02_zl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/0903gmhtp_04_zl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/0711gm_11_zgm_ls3_engine.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/0903gmhtp_10_zl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/0903gmhtp_09_zl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam.jpg

GeorgeInNePa
12-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Its more if the VVT can do a better power curve and how much its good for with mayeb an aftermarket VVT cam. If I can confiurm everything will actually work and all the necessary steps, I can assess cost of parts and labor. No way id be confident in being able to do it by myself without being nervous that I was messing something up. After I asses cost i can decide if its worth it.

If you are going to pay someone to do this, it will not be worth it.

Before you do anything, do the math.

Also, you will not be able to use the Camaro pistons in your L76 block, they are a larger bore size.

Crazy Paul
12-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Also, you will not be able to use the Camaro pistons in your L76 block, they are a larger bore size. True, LY6 pistons might fit.

GeorgeInNePa
12-03-2010, 05:43 AM
True, LY6 pistons might fit.

If he found out how deep the notch needs to be, he could notch the stock pistons to save money.

There are a multitude of sites that cover in block flycutting...

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Hmmm. Is the Ly6 still an iron block? Basically, doesn't it have VVT? If I got all the accessories off an LY6 and its ecu, could I use them to achieve the same purpose as the Camaro accessories? And then use a Camaro performance cam? Sorry just pinging ideas to see what could work. I mean Idk maybe 1200 for accessory parts, round 800 for a camaro cam? 200 for the computer? Does not seem that high. I could be totally wrong on pricing.

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 12:33 PM
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0908_variable_valve_timing/gm_ls_engines.html

Crazy Paul
12-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Hmmm. Is the Ly6 still an iron block? Basically, doesn't it have VVT?
Yes, Yes,
Huge ugly brackets and alternator staring you in the face...also Yes.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Blocks/07206_0L20V820LY620SLH20LoR.jpg

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
have come to the conclusion that it wont be that bad. If I find all the accesories cheap, get an aftermakret VVT cam, and a new ECU everything should work. The only thing left would be the fly cutting of the pistons.....cost? Or risk a DIY job....

pontiac4life
12-03-2010, 01:05 PM
true on ygly. Brackets wont be too vvsble since evrything is pushed up. Ls7 has alternator there correct? I could live with it. would my stock engine cover fit?

Crazy Paul
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Ls7 has alternator there correct? I could live with it. would my stock engine cover fit?
Yes.
Stock G8-GT engine cover might fit with Camaro front accessories, maybe ..... depends if you can get the lid for the P/S reservoir lined up with the hole in the cover. Unsure if you can re-locate the reservoir rearward successfully.
Stock G8-GT engine cover won't fit the LY6 due to alternator bracket position.

GeorgeInNePa
12-03-2010, 07:05 PM
You also have to make sure the ECM can work with the TCM in the 6L80, don't you?

pontiac4life
12-04-2010, 09:18 AM
its the elctronis im most worried about. Is there any GM phone line that will know and give an answer? Also in that LY6 pic is the oil filler cap in a different place?

dandragonrage
12-04-2010, 10:12 AM
You also have to make sure the ECM can work with the TCM in the 6L80, don't you?

Doesn't the Camaro also use 6L80?

pontiac4life
12-04-2010, 10:25 AM
yes. thats what I thought at least:uhm: lets get to the bottom of this, someones gotta do a VVt g8 =p

buddyholly
12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I have s LY6 in my '76 GMC truck and a L76 in my Chevelle. I would love to have VVT on my L76. Both motors use the e38 ecu. My L76 ecu has the controls for VVT in HPTuners but it is disabled. You may have to add pins but the stock ecu may work.

GeorgeInNePa
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Doesn't the Camaro also use 6L80?

Yes, but he started talking about the LY6.

GeorgeInNePa
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I have s LY6 in my '76 GMC truck and a L76 in my Chevelle. I would love to have VVT on my L76. Both motors use the e38 ecu. My L76 ecu has the controls for VVT in HPTuners but it is disabled. You may have to add pins but the stock ecu may work.

There is good info!

pontiac4life
12-04-2010, 06:56 PM
alright. heres something i didnt think of. Grandfather has an escalade. i think its an 04. Over 200,000 miles on it. All those brackets would work wouldnt they, if for some reason his car sh*ts the bed. Then I would have all necessary pieces. I buy the VVt cam from mast along with a camaro controller. Now I am down to two issues. Notching the pistons and moving the ac lines and junk. And also I noticed the oil filler neck on the vortec are down at the bottom. can I keep mine at the top? And do the AC/ PS lines really need to be moved?

pontiac4life
12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
wow so i might even be able to keep the computer. Thanks! thats awesome to know

pontiac4life
12-05-2010, 09:29 AM
LM7 brackets are the same as ly6 and l76 brackets correct? The VVT l76 brackets arent different from the LM7 without VVT? I know they look the same but I want to make sure nothing has moved...

pontiac4life
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
After a few hours of research, I have opted to go with Camaro accesories due to coolant hookups and dimensions, and Im looking at about 550-700 for everything( w.e I'm bored =p) plus 100 for Camaro cam or 400 if i get crazy. I will not need to be tapping any new holes for anything correct? As far as you guys know everything will just bolt to my block after i take the old shit off? Im left with a few unknowns.: can I reuse my alternator with my Camaro crap (if not alternator price is gonna hurt and push cost towards the 700 range). What to do about the PS reservoir, can I keep mine or can I simply swap in a camaros. And is it better to fly cut valves or just replace pistons? I think I can handle fly cutting the actual pistons, it looks doable in car especially if i use the sand paper on valve method. Im just concerned about weakening the pistons, I dont know how GM actually forms the relief valves in the stock l76 truck pistons. And last question is why does the truck l76 only make 367, while the Camaros 400? My car will make close to the 400 number with a Camaro cam and tune, tho Im lacking some displacement correct? Thanks

GeorgeInNePa
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Does the $550 to $700 plus $100 for a cam include the Camaro front cover and cam sensor? That's what's going to control the VVT. Also the cam gear is specific, isn't it? How about gaskets? How much for labor?

You're going to need to figure out the wiring, also.

Valve reliefs are cast into the pistons and then finish machined.

The truck L76 is also a 6.0, the Camaro L99 is a 6.2. The truck uses a different cam, intake, and exhaust than the Camaro.

pontiac4life
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
No I would add the 100 on to the 550-700 for a brand new camaro cam or one out of the escalade. The 550-700 includes the timing cover and actuator. Im still researching the wiring for it, don't quite know how that'll have to be done yet. I forgot about the cam gear but i should be able to find one of those cheap too. I left gaskets out because those are something Im gunna have to eat if i wanna mod my car anyway. And the cast into the pistons fact seems like it is going to be the headache part. I don't think Im comfy fly cutting unless others can confirm durability. Labor would be me plus my dads friend who rebuilt his old 68 charger before we sold it, would throw some dollars his way to make sure I don't f anything up. Plus Im pretty sure hes a Chevy nut. Accessories look straight forward and doable myself. Cam and pistons are where Im a little nervous....and if the ac lines have to be moved...

GeorgeInNePa
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Where are you getting a brand new VVT cam for $100?

pontiac4life
12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
ebay. However would i be better with an l92 cam? WIll either run as well in my 6.0 as they will in a 6.2? Also what the heck is the difference between an l99 and l92 besides brackets? Its this electrical on the timing cover that I cant get any info on. Im assuming there are no provisions for VVT in my current harness? http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1007_gms_variable_valve_timing_system_perform ance_test/photo_09.html

Looks like the VVT actuator connect to the other side.....

pontiac4life
12-08-2010, 05:17 PM
anybody have wiring knowledge/ideas?

pontiac4life
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Searched all day. came up with zilch. can anybody compare the different timing cover connectors? Think its worth me asking on camaro forums of the "other" g8 site? Might even call the dealer. This is the last major road block. Then its just getting the parts, knowing how much to flycutt for the valves, and having someone move the ac lines.

GeorgeInNePa
12-09-2010, 04:03 PM
You're in uncharted territory, check wherever the info might be.

Also, I would budget more money. These projects always cost more than you think.

Who will be doing the tuning?

pontiac4life
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
i see. ill see if i can figure out the wiring. dealer call tomorrow. and i dont know, somewhere reliable that know what theyre doing. New Era, etc...

I know you cant help with wiring, but if you or someone who knows cams better than I do could chime in and guesstimate how the camaro/escalade cam will do in an l76, that would be great. I get them but not down to that level of specificity.

Crazy Paul
12-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Pontiac G8-GT L76 Cam Sensor (CMP)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/CMP1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/CMP2.jpg

Truck (L92, truck L76) Cam Sensor CMP
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/CMP4.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/CMP5.jpg

Truck (L92, truck L76) Camshaft Actuator Solenoid
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/CAS1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/CAS2.jpg

VVT Timing Cover.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/L92timingcover2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/L92timingcover3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/L92timingcover.jpg

pontiac4life
12-09-2010, 07:23 PM
i will take a bullet for you any day of the week. fuck it, ill take two bullets for you and wash your car while I'm at it.

pontiac4life
12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
so in both cam postion sensors their is only an a and a c, both performing the same founction. The l92 has the additional actuator wires, but from the pictures it appears that that just ties into the camp position sensor. maybe the cam position sensor responds to the ECU with VVT and vice versa? thatd mean id only need to replace my end on my harness to match the vvt timing cover connector?....maybe its time to risk buying the cover....

Crazy Paul
12-09-2010, 07:59 PM
NO, you couldn't have fucked that up any better if you tried.

Do not think of "Low Reference" as an earth. Think of it as a low voltage (0 to 1V if you like) provided by the ECM which is monitored and forms the basis of comparisons. Each cam sensor has 3 wires performing the same function.....all 3 go back to the ECM.

With the L92 the 2 actuator wires do not simply tie into the 3 cam position sensor wires. Look again above.....there's 5 individual circuit numbers. Only the 2 "Low References" share the same function but it still would be unwise to marry those 2 together.
There will be 5 wires (not 4 or 3) running from the L92 front timing cover back to the L92 ECM

so in both cam postion sensors their is only an a and a c, both performing the same founction. The l92 has the additional actuator wires, but from the pictures it appears that that just ties into the camp position sensor. maybe the cam position sensor responds to the ECU with VVT and vice versa? thatd mean id only need to replace my end on my harness to match the vvt timing cover connector?....maybe its time to risk buying the cover....

pontiac4life
12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Woops. Overlooked the circuit numbers. So I would definitely need two more wires. So now there is a possibility the other three have to also be swapped? I mean on Metri-Pack website they have the pull to seat ones which look simple enough, so the connectors are obtainable I think. So the way I understand it now, feel free to call me a dumb ass, I could be totally wrong: the new timing cover goes on. I have to ADD two wires in that run to the ECM (Gonna have to figure out how those hook up) for the cam actuator, so there is another connector separate from the 3 way connector in the diagrams thats probably behind the three way connector? I would need a connector, correct wires, etc and then have to tie it in to the ECM. But you are also saying that the 3 wires for the cam position sensor might also have to be changed, correct? Sorry If Im dead wrong, this is a wee bit more complex than a 120v outlet but I think I can pick it up.

Crazy Paul
12-09-2010, 10:31 PM
There will be 5 wires (not 4 or 3) running from the L92 front timing cover back to the L92 ECM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/C112.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/C112-3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/C112-here.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/C112-1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/C112-2.jpg

If you can buy a VVT front timing cover it will come with the small Y harness which terminates at C112.....leaving you with a 5 pin connector. Here is where your 5 wires (with circuit numbers as above) from a VVT enabled computer will enter.
The partial part number they've given below for the L92 front timing cover says NO LONGER AVAILABLE , another number 12593999 is also showing as Not available to buy from a few places.
www.sdparts.com still list 12593999 for $116.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/402412106.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/VVT/cover.jpg

pontiac4life
12-10-2010, 11:13 AM
so I will def need to run two more wires back to the ecu. But you're also saying that the three wire I already have going to the cam sensor might also have to be replaced, correct? Thanks for all this stufff woulda been near impossible to figure it out without it

Crazy Paul
12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
so I will def need to run two more wires back to the ecu. But you're also saying that the three wire I already have going to the cam sensor might also have to be replaced, correct? Thanks for all this stufff woulda been near impossible to figure it out without it

Yes there will be 2 new wires required back to ECU.
Depending on which ECU you end up running will decide what happens with the other original 3 wires.

If running your current ECU with software upgraded to handle VVT then you can probably leave the 3 alone.

If running a totally new factory VVT enabled ECU then the circuit numbers & possibly the pin numbers will be different for your 3 original wires. May require 3 wires at the ECU plugs to be re-pinned due to circuit number difference between non-VVT and VVT.

You can leave your current 3 wire cam sensor harness alone at the timing cover end.....or cut the 3 cavity male plug off and utilise the new (5 into 3+2) Y harness on a VVT timing cover. Then you'd need to source a new 5 cavity male plug to plug into C112.....into the new male plug would go your 3 original wires + the 2 new wires.

None of the above is a show stopper.

pontiac4life
12-10-2010, 10:16 PM
did some searching last night and found this stuff

http://www.mouser.com:80/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=15326827virtualkey63000000vir tualkey829-15326827

pretty sure that will be the one I need along with terminals here...

http://www.mouser.com:80/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=15326269-Lvirtualkey63000000virtualkey829-15326269

although there is no "/19" in the part number there for the terminals. Don't know if that has any significance....

Stuff seams cheap enough. I would need matching wires correct? Seeing as I have no clue what the core or gauge is of them. Those connectors are easily obtained it seems. Any other connectors I would need that you are aware of? So far I've concluded that I will flycut the pistons myself and make the wiring harness modifications. Then will drive car (will it be drive able on stock tune with fly cut pistons are will everything be screwed up?) or tow it to someone to tune it and cam it, and bolt on all Camaro accessories. Or at home cam with help of family friend and then trip to a tuner. And then pray that my lifters dont go like some others on here. Wonder what it'd take to convince them to not void my warranty should it explode =)

Steve
12-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Not to derail this thread - but again Crazy Paul Shows he's the Man!

pontiac4life
12-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Not to derail this thread - but again Crazy Paul Shows he's the Man!

def not a derail. there wouldn't be a thread if it wasn't for the stuff he's been providing. Thanks to him i might actually be able to pull this off.

pontiac4life
12-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Ok I found the timing crap cheap...real cheap... as in 50 dollars for all timing components cheap. Slightly used but who cares. I asked on the other forum too, but will the l99 cam fair well in my engine if I decide to keep AFM? I believe it has the same compression ratio as the g8? 10.4:1. And I am assuming I will ne a retune to 91 in order to get the actual 400 hp numbers? Thanks

TooManyHobbies
12-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Ok I found the timing crap cheap...real cheap... as in 50 dollars for all timing components cheap. Slightly used but who cares. I asked on the other forum too, but will the l99 cam fair well in my engine if I decide to keep AFM? I believe it has the same compression ratio as the g8? 10.4:1. And I am assuming I will ne a retune to 91 in order to get the actual 400 hp numbers? Thanks

You will be 0.2 liter short of displacement from the L99, so a little less hp.

pontiac4life
12-12-2010, 07:58 AM
alright thanks. i know it impossible to know but figure what, 10 hp loss?