PDA

View Full Version : LED headlights

Saxophoman
01-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Found a few products that look pretty good, but I'm concerned about installation. Some reviewers say that it takes several hours (even if you're experienced) or a few hundred for a mechanic to do it. I really want to avoid that and obviously would prefer a direct plug-and-play install.
Here are some I'm interested in:
Make: Spyder
http://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-Pontiac-Crystal-Headlight/dp/B0041CXRU8/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1422389565&vehicle=2009-52-6613-39--1-6-7-8191-2561-1-1-2676--4-0&sr=1-4&ymm=2009%3Apontiac%3Ag8

Make: Venom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191208832222?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Make: Watomi Racing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301014590406?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any recs or installation help with any of these?
Thanks in advance!

Saxophoman
01-27-2015, 12:35 PM
and this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-PONTIAC-G8-CHROME-LED-DRL-STRIP-BAR-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-LAMP-/351298368597?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3APontiac%7CModel%3AG8%7CS ubmodel%3AGT%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A6.0L&hash=item51cb03b455&vxp=mtr

Chewy
01-27-2015, 01:20 PM
and this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-PONTIAC-G8-CHROME-LED-DRL-STRIP-BAR-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-LAMP-/351298368597?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3APontiac%7CModel%3AG8%7CS ubmodel%3AGT%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A6.0L&hash=item51cb03b455&vxp=mtr

This is the most popular one right now. Personally, i'm not one to F with my lights. I've read/seen to many people with moisture issues and such.

Several hours? Nah... Remove bumper cover, remove headlight, do some wiring for the LED lights and reinstall.

Saxophoman
01-27-2015, 01:38 PM
This is the most popular one right now. Personally, i'm not one to F with my lights. I've read/seen to many people with moisture issues and such.

Several hours? Nah... Remove bumper cover, remove headlight, do some wiring for the LED lights and reinstall.

The few reviews I could find, I've been seeing the same thing about moisture issues. That's a shame though, such a simple issue they couldn't get right. Stinks that the LEDs require additional wiring. Haven't been able to find any tutorials/instructions on how to wire them. Any idea where to find this? Would prefer not to have to hire a mechanic.

kevinm0131
01-27-2015, 01:38 PM
The first three all look like the same light to me with different brand names. I'm guessing probably the same Chinese source.
I'm with Chewy on the not messing with the factory headlights due to the same reasons, plus, possible problems with over zealous law enforcement.
My two cents worth....

Chewy
01-27-2015, 01:42 PM
The first three all look like the same light to me with different brand names. I'm guessing probably the same Chinese source.
I'm with Chewy on the not messing with the factory headlights due to the same reasons, plus, possible problems with over zealous law enforcement.
My two cents worth....

To me, it's a me too fad and a little too FPFQ for my liking. To each their own though!

Saxophoman
01-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

kevinm0131
01-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Personal preference should prevail here Saxman, I like the new cars with the factory LED lights and Halo lights etc, just have never personally disliked the stock headlights at all, in either appearance or light output.

Saxophoman
01-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Personal preference should prevail here Saxman, I like the new cars with the factory LED lights and Halo lights etc, just have never personally disliked the stock headlights at all, in either appearance or light output.

I do really like the LED and halo lights, but I tend to have bad luck with replacement car parts, whether factory replacement or aftermarket. I will be one of those guys that will get a set having condensation issues. I'll stick with oem, since they work just fine and, like you, I do like the appearance.
Thank you for your thoughts

MIEngineer
01-29-2015, 07:38 AM
My concern would be their light output vs. any appearance. I cant imagine they invested much in these compared to OE and any SAE/FMVSS standard.

Not my cup of tea, but everyone has their own flavor :)

Chewy
01-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I can all but guarantee you that the projectors in them aren't up to OEM standards which aren't as good as they come either. If you want GOOD headlights, replace the OEM projectors with a higher quality aftermarket unit. There's a difference!

BluYa76
01-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Anyone remember the Grand Prix and SPYDER headlight fiasco back in '06? I'm betting these are coming from the same shitty company SPYDER peddled to us Grand Prix owners then. I'm with everyone, I like the look of the new cars w/stock led's, but not as an after market add on.

Saxophoman
01-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I can all but guarantee you that the projectors in them aren't up to OEM standards which aren't as good as they come either. If you want GOOD headlights, replace the OEM projectors with a higher quality aftermarket unit. There's a difference!

Have any recs for a higher quality aftermarket unit?

Chewy
01-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Have any recs for a higher quality aftermarket unit?

I was a bit clear as mud... It's JUST the projector in the housing. NOT the entire assembly. Sorry...

MIEngineer
01-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Morimotos are good

Chewy
01-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Morimotos are good

Agreed! I have their HID's and they are amazing quality... Just need to decide if I want to install them. lol

Homerfan
02-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Go to http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits.html
They have superior products, and the best customer service! You can browse HID kits for the OEM headlights. Our stock projectors were designed for halogen, but you can run HID's in them as long as they are properly aimed. If you wanted to do a retrofit (replacing the projectors in the OEM headlights with ones designed for HID's) they offer kits for that too. If you are stuck on buying Spyder or Spec-D lights - they have a retrofit package to replace the sub-par quality projectors in them!

Email them with any questions you have and they will help you figure out what you need, what will work for you, etc. They won't just try and sell you stuff you don't need. They are really helpful and knowledgeable.

matts88yj
02-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Go to http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits.html
They have superior products, and the best customer service! You can browse HID kits for the OEM headlights. Our stock projectors were designed for halogen, but you can run HID's in them as long as they are properly aimed. If you wanted to do a retrofit (replacing the projectors in the OEM headlights with ones designed for HID's) they offer kits for that too. If you are stuck on buying Spyder or Spec-D lights - they have a retrofit package to replace the sub-par quality projectors in them!

Email them with any questions you have and they will help you figure out what you need, what will work for you, etc. They won't just try and sell you stuff you don't need. They are really helpful and knowledgeable.

X2. TRS is a great source for quality lighting.