PDA

View Full Version : Jerky downshifts when coming to a stop

Juniorss
03-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I asked this on the other board but havent really gotten a response. It seems that when i come to a stop and it shifts down to first gear the car jerks like someone who is just learning how to drive a stick car. Now last night when i drove it, it wasnt as bad as the first few days I had the car but it still does it. Anyone else experience this. Btw the car is a 2009.5 and it has 300 miles on it.

norm8332
03-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I know some people reported low transmission fluid from the factory. There is no dipstick, so its very hard to check. Maybe you should take it to the dealer and have them check it.

GXPaycheck
03-01-2009, 12:13 PM
That was one of the issues I had mine in for recently. They checked the fluid level and re-flashed the tranny. It does better now, but I still have an occasional burp. Sometimes while coasting down hill the rpm's like to jump fron 700 to 1200. Almost like someone revving the engine. Haven't figured that one out yet.

GeorgeInNePa
03-01-2009, 12:39 PM
That was one of the issues I had mine in for recently. They checked the fluid level and re-flashed the tranny. It does better now, but I still have an occasional burp. Sometimes while coasting down hill the rpm's like to jump fron 700 to 1200. Almost like someone revving the engine. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Mine does that all the time.

GT-610
03-01-2009, 01:01 PM
welcome to g8 ownwership...i have it once in a while as well

stryker g8gt
03-01-2009, 01:06 PM
My tuner guy is contacting HP about this. I have this issue since the Converter install. He said it has to do with the lock up percentage....the GTO has a table in HP tunes to adjust, but the G8 does not.

Also, I had a hell of a time getting the trans fluid full enough not to have jerk issues in drive after the converter install.....Even though it was full and drizziling out the over flow, and on a level lift.....we still had to add a little more to stop the jerkiness in drive on take off. Tempermental bitch she is.

-Ray-
03-01-2009, 05:14 PM
You didn't say weather it was in full auto or if you were down shifting manually.

matthewo
03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Mine does that all the time.

thats not too uncommon, my bmw did that too, so i dont think its a problem.

Juniorss
03-01-2009, 09:31 PM
You didn't say weather it was in full auto or if you were down shifting manually.

It was in normal shift mode or sport. I havent really messed with the manual mode

-Ray-
03-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Ok, that's not something I've ever noticed. You can feel the transmission slide into the lower gears when you slow to a stop, but mine are no where jerky.

jnak
03-02-2009, 06:02 AM
I have not noticed this either. Sounds like you need a trip to the dealer.

TurboSS
03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I asked this on the other board but havent really gotten a response. It seems that when i come to a stop and it shifts down to first gear the car jerks like someone who is just learning how to drive a stick car. Now last night when i drove it, it wasnt as bad as the first few days I had the car but it still does it. Anyone else experience this. Btw the car is a 2009.5 and it has 300 miles on it.

i know what your talking about. i have noticed when driving at like 40mph and letting off the gas it almost feels like someone is on the brakes alittle....then when it gets to 30ish you can feel it downshift to the next gear and it starts pulling the cars speed down even faster. is it normal for these cars to coast like shit?! is that a sign of low tranny fluid or just something that gets fixed with a tune or that tcm update??

96Prix
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Coasting or braking? Could be powertrain braking on a downhill slope?

GXPaycheck
03-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Coasting or braking? Could be powertrain braking on a downhill slope?
Coasting. Only does it once a month or so.
The best way I can describe the jerky stopping is that it feels like an accordion. The front wheels stop, and a second later there are two little bumps, almost like the rest of the car is catching up.
Weird.

Juniorss
03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Coasting. Only does it once a month or so.
The best way I can describe the jerky stopping is that it feels like an accordion. The front wheels stop, and a second later there are two little bumps, almost like the rest of the car is catching up.
Weird.

yea thats sorta like what mine does.

Schinbone
03-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Honestly mine shifts soooooo smooth up and down. I have a 2009.5 and I dont know if its better software or what. But it really is like butta, maybe I got one that wasn't made on Monday. :) It might pay to take it in while GM still exists to honor the warranty. Joke.

GT-610
03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
for those of you who do NOT notice this,its because after a certain point in production they fixed it with an available dealer download for the rest of us.

Juniorss
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
for those of you who do NOT notice this,its because after a certain point in production they fixed it with an available dealer download for the rest of us.

Well then they must be back to their old ways since mine is a 2009.5. After 550 miles, it still does it some but not as much as before

GT-610
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
then see a dealer pronto! not normal at all

sstruck383
04-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I believe the problem is a minimum rpm vs. speed table that HP Tuners has a table for. I'm in the process of trying this but the factory settings are 550 rpms for all speeds and I believe the car is just idling too low for certain set speeds.

I'm testing this right now so I should have more information in a few days.

Ktlplxm
04-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Alvin @ PCM4LESS and I had a similar issue with mine. We test drove for hours trying to fix it with little tweaks. Finally as a test we just turned off the torque management and it went a way completely. Turned it back on, it came right back. Now it stays off,