PDA

View Full Version : Boost-a-pump testing

wreckwriter
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Anyone know a good way to test if a Kenne Bell BAP is working? I'd like to find a way to test this thing safely but it needs to be in boost to activate. I really don't like full throttle street testing in manual mode. These has to be a better way.

It uses a Hobbs switch to sense boost. I have it tee'd into my boost gauge line.

norm8332
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
You know I'm not an expert, but if it's a normally open Hobbs switch couldn't you just manually connect the switch wires and measure the output voltage of the boost a pump?

Most likely need the ignition on.

I'm sure the experts will chime in.

wreckwriter
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
You know I'm not an expert, but if it's a normally open Hobbs switch couldn't you just manually connect the switch wires and measure the output voltage of the boost a pump?

Most likely need the ignition on.

I'm sure the experts will chime in.

Maybe. That's one thing I thought of but wasn't sure that would be safe to do.

wreckwriter
03-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Went ahead and did it. Worked great.

norm8332
03-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Great! Thanks to your efforts we know what to do if anyone else needs one.

I might, don't know yet.

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Most of us Ford guys just wired a jumper between the posts that you connected the hobbs switch to. The BAP stays active all the time which makes for a smooth AFR curve when going WOT. It doesn't hurt anything to do it that way either.

wreckwriter
03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Most of us Ford guys just wired a jumper between the posts that you connected the hobbs switch to. The BAP stays active all the time which makes for a smooth AFR curve when going WOT. It doesn't hurt anything to do it that way either.

That's how I determined this was safe, found posts in Ford forums about doing that.

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
That's how I determined this was safe, found posts in Ford forums about doing that.

Good stuff there captain. :)

ronbuick
03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
What does this unit put out in VDC at max output?

wreckwriter
03-20-2009, 07:30 AM
What does this unit put out in VDC at max output?

about 17.

ronbuick
03-20-2009, 07:50 AM
That is just to the pump correct, Red @Quad Air in Ohio has a volt booster for the TR's
that hook into the Alt. and at 10lbs. boost it jumps voltage to 15-16VDC to everything,
inj. pump etc. At night when you are driving and you hit 10lbs. the headlights go Boink
for a better term of brightness, is actually quite neat, so it kind of energizes all for a short time and has not hurt any parts on these cars cause it usually is for a 1/4 mile or less spurts, continious duty it is possible it could have an effect, but not short bursts,
and also we hot wire our fuel pump with a relay from the back of the alt. and run a wire
back to the pump and bypass the fuse block because of the voltage drop going thru the fuse block which could be as much as 2 Volts DC so we get about 13.5-14VDC or so at all times to the pump under 10lbs. boost until the volt booster kicks in at 10lbs. Do not know if that helps anyone, but a little more info on a possible route to go.

Ron

wreckwriter
03-20-2009, 07:58 AM
This is just to the fuel pump. It splices into the pump wire.